Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Tyranny better than Pillars Of Eternity? DISCUSS!

Which is better?

• Total voters

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Although it's an opinion that hasn't really found its way into the Codex's elite commentary(tm) and reviews, there appears to be a group of posters who like Tyranny more than PoE. Let's talk about that. What does Tyranny do better?

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That's retarded. Whatever you think about PoE at least it doesn't have cooldown spamming and only 2 enemy types.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Infinitron dreamed of a thread where people would sing praises of their favorite recent Obsidian game.... It backfired.

Meh, that was expected. Wait for some of the folks who posted in the last two pages of the Tyranny thread to log in.

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Better? I thought the Korrect Kodex Konsensus was to ask "X or Y, which is worse and why? DISCUSS!!!!!1111"

Last edited:

Ranarama

Learned
If you want interesting discussion perhaps force people out of where they are comfortable. Ask them something they liked about the one they disliked the most. For example, while I prefer PoE (I guess), at least I can remember the plot and characters of Tyranny.

Urbanolo

Augur
PoE 3.0 is one of the better RTwP RPG's ever. Tyranny is just a chaotic shitfest with like 6 types of enemies and no tactics or thinking involved even on PotD.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
I didn't play Tyranny so I will refrain from voting. I think Tyranny was more of a "this is a novel idea let's just get it done and see if it's worth looking further into". I'm sure it has an audience, but the One is always a force for good.

The loading times are a lot faster in Tyranny (on my potato), the music is better and C&C plays a more important role. That being said, Pillars of Eternity has better companions, better combat and it's way bigger then Tyranny.

Xeon

Augur
Tyranny was better.

Things I liked in Tyranny:
- Hyperlinks stuff.
- Branching.
- Story overall and lore.
- Magic system closer to BG than the one in PoE.
- Combat was enjoyable, no trash mobs every few seconds.
- The base had a purpose.
- Choices kinda matter.

Things I didn't like in Tyranny:
- Most of the companions are snowflakes, complain about every little thing none stop except for Verse.
- The branching is cool but kinda linear. Disfavored kill everything, Chorus need to do quests and then feed Nerat, Rebel go directly against Kyros. Only way to divert is to betray the entire faction.
- Game is kinda short, tho they probably thought the branching makes up for that or something.

PoE Pre-3.0: Things I disliked.
- Choices don't matter, the trial at the end of act 2[?] was the biggest let down.
- Combat sucks, move and keep killing for little rewards.
- No unique items (haven't played the DLCs).
- Crafting and Base were bare bone and probably hurt the game.
- Companions suck, only liked Eder.

Things I liked:
- A lot more open.

Quillon

Arcane
There is no inn in Tyranny, not even one. There is a whorehouse but not one inn. Take that as you will... prolly means PoE is much biggerrfghjkl

That said I'm biased towards PoE; backed it, cared for it, followed it through its development and I'm not even a fan of the oldies. Everybody complains about PoE's combat but the part what disappointed me the most was the writing/story which was the main reason I backed the game(its Obsidian, come ooon, ofc writing will be awesome, duh) and the part Tyranny does better, but I still favor PoE for some attachment reasons I guess and while both are high fantasy, I prefer the realistic feel in PoE, its less over the top fantasy compared to Tyranny.

And I couldn't made my character similar to PoE-Barbarian in the classless system of Tyranny. I need my carnage.

made

Arcane
Both suck, as does this poll.

And I say this only because I got an alert that this thread was started - for reasons I cannot fathom.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Both suck, as does this poll.

And I say this only because I got an alert that this thread was started - for reasons I cannot fathom.

You may have "watched" the Obsidian subforum by accident.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
- Magic system closer to BG than the one in PoE.
I don't know what game you played but it couldn't have possibly been Tyranny. Tyranny doesn't even use Vancian magic, even that alone makes PoE much closer to BG than Tyranny. Not to mention that magic in Tyranny just generally consists of spamming your highest dmg spell, because that's just what works best.
- Combat was enjoyable, no trash mobs every few seconds.
It's nothing but trash mobs with zero encounter variety, the only unique fights are the ones with archons in the very last act of the game.
- Choices kinda matter.
That's already covered under branching, because there is little choice besides that.
- Combat sucks, move and keep killing for little rewards.
As opposed to Tyranny?
- Companions suck, only liked Eder.
Durance alone is better written than anything in Tyranny, but even then, PoE at least lets you create your own party, unlike Tyranny where you have to deal with annoying companions.
Choices and unique items are done quite well in WM, you should probably give it a try if those were your issues with the game.

Sentinel

Arcane
No wonder people think PoE is utter shit when they can't even read. The question is "which is better", not "which one is good".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom