Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Is Troika Dead?

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Interplay went French, might as well be dead. I wonder if Herve ever forgave MCA for what he said. :lol:

Avin

Liturgist
Re: Troika

Chris Avellone said:
Regardless, I wouldn't count Troika out yet.

So do I. You see, Interplay is still alive, why wouldn't be Troika? Too soon to drop the flag.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
You're too optimistic. For all we know they could announce some idiotic plan to start developing console titles, or worse, an mmorpg. That's certainly going to make them a lot more money than any RPG.

Avin

Liturgist
nope, i'm the greatest pessimist ever... but i don't feel this is the end for troika. not yet.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Has Blizzard given SC Ghost to anyone yet? :lol: Maybe they can let Troika handle er. A free meal a la KOTOR2.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Well, as I said, they might not be closing shop completely, just going on hiatus - but it doesn't mean they're going to make another RPG, either.

Mangler

Novice
Troika's not dead, merely resting... perfectly still... while not breathing... :(

Its still possible they could survive, but then again it would not BE the same Troika.
Shure it would be the same 3-4 head developers, but a influx of new blood and talent is just what they could need.

Spazmo

Erudite
But that's the thing, Interplay isn't alive. Things may be similar with Troika, but we just don't know yet. If Leon announces on Tuesday that Troika has signed on to provide design consultation on Ballerium, yeah, they're fucked, and I'm sure Exitium will rejoice, if only because he'll have been--a rare occurence--right. But we don't yet know what they'll announce. It's stupid to start writing eulogies and generally talking about Troika in the past tense when we don't know what's really going on yet.

And Killzig: SC Ghost has allegedly been a Nihilistic project from the get go, Nihilistic being the guys who made the first Vampire: The Masquerade game, Redemption.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Spazmo, wrong as always, seems to think that Nihilistic is still developing SC: Ghost. Newsflash: it isn't. Blizzard wrangled the development from them and are making it in-house.

This speaks volumes for your credibility, Spazmo.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Exitium said:
Spazmo, wrong as always, seems to think that Nihilistic is still developing SC: Ghost. Newsflash: it isn't. Blizzard wrangled the development from them and are making it in-house.

ALSO WRONG A RINO BUDDY :D

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I was wondering how long Blizzard would take to outsource the project after they wrangled it away from the boys at Nihilistic.

ALSO WRONG A RINO BUDDY :D
What are you talking about? Blizzard was developing the game in-house for a period of time (more likely they were just sitting on it until they found a developer to outsource it to) after they took it away from Nihilistic.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Dubious. they might have tidied up the shit Nihilistic did a bit to be better able to package and instruct swinging ape but I doubt they did any real development on it in the couple of months they've had it.

M0rphz0rz

Novice
Oh my, the vultures are circling ...

While there is a tendency on this board to search excuses for the shortcomings of Troika’s games, the almost religious zeal certain posters show in bashing Troika is getting very, very tiresome, bordering on the ridiculous. Gloating over other people’s difficulties is just pathetic.

Arcanum, ToEE and Bloodlines may have been buggy, but they also have a lot going for them. I certainly wouldn’t call them “shitty”. Each of these games has stood out in one way or another, be it because of its original plot, its brilliant turn-based combat or its well-written dialogue.

It’s a pity Troika’s products, despite their redeeming qualities, have always suffered from a lack of polish. Mind you, I’m not blaming the publishers, for me it’s mostly a case of atrocious project management. If Troika ever develops another game, they really need to work on that. I for one wish them the best of luck.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I just remember this because when I was beta testing WOW somebody asked about what was happening to Ghost and Tigole made a response that Nihilistic had been dropped ant Blizzard was 'developing it in-house'. Little did I know at the time that they were just going to outsource the thing.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
not really anyone here bashing troika aside from Rex and I've already explained that. scroll up or something. :lol:

Sol Invictus

Erudite
For all of you defending Troika, do you even give a shit about everyone who lost their jobs? You're behaving as if I fired them. I think I'll try a more moralistic approach to this whole situation, and pose the following:

I bothers me a lot that Troika just got up and fired everyone. Yes, that bothers me. It's fine and dandy that the fatasses up top keep their jobs. Everyone else lost theirs because of their mismanagement.

Think on that for awhile.

M0rphz0rz

Novice
Exitium said:
For all of you defending Troika, do you even give a shit about everyone who lost their jobs?.

In other words, they got "pwned" (your choice of vocabulary).

Spazmo

Erudite
OMG ur credability r shit REX

First off, I said "allegedly" because from the start there was questions about what exactly was the division of labour between the two companies. Second, why would not knowing all the details behind some Xbox action game undermine my credibility relating to PC RPGs?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
M0rphz0rz said:
Exitium said:
For all of you defending Troika, do you even give a shit about everyone who lost their jobs?.

In other words, they got "pwned" (your choice of vocabulary).

Mea culpa.

Bottom line? Troika fired them, not me.

I think I should more clearly state that Troika pwned itself from mismanagement and the employees had to pay the price.

Ellester

Liturgist
Exitium said:
You know what REALLY cracks me up? How people keep going on about how alive Troika is, when they say the exact opposite about Interplay.
Yea, but IPLY and Titus was about 50 million in debt and now liquidated and IPLY still has three pending lawsuits, and still hasn't paid their empoloyees from last year. Titus also owns 70% of IPLY’s stock that I would assume is in the French government’s hands right now. There’s a very good reason why people think IPLY is dead. Only people on crack have hope for IPLY.

Btw, I think Troika is toast too. I couldn't see a publisher thinking Troika could make a good game with 4 employees and hiring a new staff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom