Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is there any CRPG's database?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
i know. doesn't answer my question though.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There are several games in that database that are only games with some CRPG elements and not full fledged CRPGs.

But it's a good list to start with and you can download the data as csv-file and import it to Excel, Access etc.

Monty

Arcane
Poor old HiddenX, spending his time advertising the Watch on the Codex. The very definition of a thankless task.

Perhaps he could be Watchwitzed as a gesture of appreciation? Everyone's a winner.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm old, but not exactly poor... and finding CRPG enthusiasts is never a thankless task. I'm searching the positive thinking ones, like felipepepe, octavius and Deuce Traveler not the ones with the "everything is shit" mentality :)

What about the one's that are positive that everything is shit? :P

Someone posted a link some time ago with a list of all (?) RPGs that contained a few information about every game (if I recall correctly). Can't find it though :/

You mean this one maintained by dragonbait?
http://www.weekendwastemonster.net/crpgs/directory.html

Exactly, that's the one!

Wow. I've gotten so many hits to my site from the Codex recently. Thanks.

Just to clarify, my CRPG Directory was never meant to contain a list of all CRPG's ever made, but rather a collection of "mostly" turn based+party based dungeon crawlers. But of course this has expanded to including lots of other new and interesting CRPG projects and some rogue-likes and retro stuff and other rare oddities that I've discovered over the years. There is an About Page on my site which explains what my site is about for anyone interested.

That being said, an RPG Codex game database or wiki would be an interesting thing indeed. :D

Damn, you dragonbait ! I thought that in 3 years time I might be caught up on all the RPGs I'd ever call at least good. You just added a year or two to my goal. :) So darn you, and thanks at the same time! Bookmarked the site. Can you give us a top 10 of unknown gems from your site you can recommend?

dragonbait

Augur
Damn, you dragonbait ! I thought that in 3 years time I might be caught up on all the RPGs I'd ever call at least good. You just added a year or two to my goal. :) So darn you, and thanks at the same time! Bookmarked the site. Can you give us a top 10 of unknown gems from your site you can recommend?

Well, the Realms of Quest IV and also Realms of Quest III are super excellent games for the Commodore VIC-20. III has more colorful graphics in the dungeons and a top down overworld map with characters leveling up as soon as they reach enough XP (even during battles, which I found to be very cool). IV has wireframe graphics like the old Wizardry I-IV games, you need to make it all the way back to the Inn at the castle if you want to rest/train like the old bard's tale, no top down overworld map to traverse but it makes up for that with more dungeon features like darkness zones, traps, spinners, loads of items to find and use. Character races (besides the usual ones), can be Gnoll, Kobold, Ogre, Orc, and Sprite. Up to 8 characters for your adventuring team! I'd say definitely check those two out.
I picked up Dark Spire from a game store some years back in the clearance bin for $5. What a deal. One of the few reasons I bought a nintendo DS was to play that game.
Etrian Oddysey games are pretty neat if you can deal with the cutesy anime character style.
I've always found the Demon's Winter runes and chants style spells intriguing, summoning monsters to fight your enemies and calling your god for help and such, rather than using the same old D+D names for spells.
There's also Silvern Castle and Story of Llylgamyn for more Wizardry fix.
I'm really looking forward to the release of Lawless Legends, new game for Apple ][ + C64, along with Dungeon Bash which looks like allot of fun to play and Crawl which would be super awesome to play with friends.
Devil Whiskey was a blast to play. I made one of the mods included in the Megamod for that.
Still, I think Pool of Radiance is my favorite game of all time. Nothing beats it IMO. Sometimes I'll play a bit of Angband and Nethack every now and again too.

Self-Ejected

Cosmic Misogynerd

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2013 Divinity: Original Sin
I'm thinking:
  • Title
  • Subtitle
  • Description
  • Release Date
  • Platform(s)
  • Screenshots (with title and descriptions)
  • Subgenre (blobber, action, roguelike, D&D, etc.)
  • Developer (*)
  • Publisher (*)
  • Part of a series (*)
  • Metacritic score
    :troll:
  • Links to monocled reviews
  • Links to monocled LPs
  • Homepage
  • Where to buy (Steam, GoG, TPB)
  • Description of some of the game systems (if applicable), with screenshots and tables, like system used, character generation, UI, etc.
  • Release status (released, vaporware, cancelled, WIP, etc.)
  • Setting (on its own field or part of the tagging?)
  • A tagging system to indicate if a game has an important feature like level scalling, turn-based combat, companions, SJW-approved, tc.
  • mods + patches download section (if applicable)
  • links to other sites containing relevant game info data
  • Links to prominent fan sites for the game (some old games don't have a homepage so this takes the place of that too)
  • Links to walkthroughs, maps, FAQs, statistical info
[*] These should be some kind of foreign keys to other tables, so you could get all the games done for a specific developer, publisher or get the games for a given series.

What else should be part of a comprehensive RPG database? Discuss!

Edit: Added more "fields" suggested by some bros.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Cosmic Misogynerd

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2013 Divinity: Original Sin
  • mods + patches download section (if applicable)
  • links to other sites containing relevant game info data
  • Links to prominent fan sites for the game (some old games don't have a homepage so this takes the place of that too)
  • Links to walkthroughs, maps, FAQs, statistical info

Those are good ideas, indeed. I took the liberty of adding them to my list. Thanks!

Something that I missed was a field to indicate the release status of the game, I mean whether it has been released, is vaporware, cancelled, etc.

Also, the setting. Should it be part of the tagging system? Or it deserves to be a field on its own?

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I'm old, but not exactly poor... and finding CRPG enthusiasts is never a thankless task. I'm searching the positive thinking ones, like felipepepe, octavius and Deuce Traveler not the ones with the "everything is shit" mentality :)

Well, the Realms of Quest IV and also Realms of Quest III are super excellent games for the Commodore VIC-20. III has more colorful graphics in the dungeons and a top down overworld map with characters leveling up as soon as they reach enough XP (even during battles, which I found to be very cool). IV has wireframe graphics like the old Wizardry I-IV games, you need to make it all the way back to the Inn at the castle if you want to rest/train like the old bard's tale, no top down overworld map to traverse but it makes up for that with more dungeon features like darkness zones, traps, spinners, loads of items to find and use. Character races (besides the usual ones), can be Gnoll, Kobold, Ogre, Orc, and Sprite. Up to 8 characters for your adventuring team! I'd say definitely check those two out.
I picked up Dark Spire from a game store some years back in the clearance bin for $5. What a deal. One of the few reasons I bought a nintendo DS was to play that game.
Etrian Oddysey games are pretty neat if you can deal with the cutesy anime character style.
I've always found the Demon's Winter runes and chants style spells intriguing, summoning monsters to fight your enemies and calling your god for help and such, rather than using the same old D+D names for spells.
There's also Silvern Castle and Story of Llylgamyn for more Wizardry fix.
I'm really looking forward to the release of Lawless Legends, new game for Apple ][ + C64, along with Dungeon Bash which looks like allot of fun to play and Crawl which would be super awesome to play with friends.
Devil Whiskey was a blast to play. I made one of the mods included in the Megamod for that.
Still, I think Pool of Radiance is my favorite game of all time. Nothing beats it IMO. Sometimes I'll play a bit of Angband and Nethack every now and again too.

Brofist for Angband, I have played that for many years - still have not beaten it though. :love: I got very close but got warped into a large room of hounds. :rpgcodex:

Do you play variants or vanilla? Any recommendations? I have enjoyed Zangband at various times.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Brofist for Angband, I have played that for many years - still have not beaten it though. :love: I got very close but got warped into a large room of hounds. :rpgcodex:

Do you play variants or vanilla? Any recommendations? I have enjoyed Zangband at various times.

I'll enjoy vanilla Angband whenever I can find it, but I prefer Zangband and the DOS version of TOME. There was a variant where you could add up to 49 random quests to the 100 levels, which was also fun, but pretty tough to beat at the mid game point. Quest Angband, perhaps? Some of these old rogue-like games seem to be unfortunately lost, despite our having DOSBox in which to play them. Out of all of them, I only beat Skillband, which was easy.

You sir, have good taste in rogue-likes.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands

I'll enjoy vanilla Angband whenever I can find it, but I prefer Zangband and the DOS version of TOME. There was a variant where you could add up to 49 random quests to the 100 levels, which was also fun, but pretty tough to beat at the mid game point. Quest Angband, perhaps? Some of these old rogue-like games seem to be unfortunately lost, despite our having DOSBox in which to play them. Out of all of them, I only beat Skillband, which was easy.

You sir, have good taste in rogue-likes.

After all these years, these games have unparalleled itemization, descriptions and lore. they don't make them like they used to.

dragonbait

Augur

No variants. Just vanilla. Haven't gotten around to trying Zangband although its on my list of games to try out, eventually, maybe after finishing playing Realms of Quest.

I found this weird adventure game called Maximus Cerebrum. The art style and music look and sound so sweet. Check out the video of gameplay. The game is available for download now.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom