Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is NWN2 worth playing?

btbgfel

Scholar
MotB is great,SoZ is solid enough.
OC may be enjoyable IF one can get used to one of camera types AND find a way to kill trash mobs quickly.(code blessed of waukeen into an toggleable aura which instant-kill orcs etc.)

Krivol

Magister
Controlling your NPCs makes you wish for nuclear winter.

No, really, I tried so hard to turn this game (gameplay wise) to some kind of BG1 in 3d, but all I got was mage running like maniac into HtH battle with the dragon/githyanki/lizzardman/your mum . I believe even OC would be passable with proper camera, GUI and AI (or possibility of controling NPCs like in BG or ID).

Also OC has stupid ideas in terms of developing NPCs - like dwarf getting from decent warrior to incredibly bad monk.

laclongquan

Arcane
Yes you should

Leaving aside the MotB and the SoZ expansions, just consider the Original Campaign alone.

You totally can play party of six like the golden age if you willing to use the expand party console command, or a tiny mod. If it's too easy for you, kick the difficulty to hardest, which I assure you will be worth it. (Side bonus: combat will be fast and/or deadly)

Turn the companion AI off. There's command for it and the whiners around here never use that button ingame. The companions can be your meat puppet obeying your everywish for just a single button.

You can recruit plenty of companions. Handmade, with companion's quest and dialog and everything.

The above whiner whine about change your dwarf fighter to a monk. This is like some people insist on giving Ian (or Sulik) a SMG then whine about their abysmal aim. You dont have to do it, but dont whine when you do.

Crossroad Keep section is the king of stronghold minigame of all time, bar none. There's still nothing else come close to it, though the upcoming Kingmaker can be a hopeful contender for the throne.

Finally, let me summon the game master who will explain why you play this game: Abracadabra Lilura

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's perfectly playable imho and as usual when threads like these come up I want to show my playtime in NWN2. All OC :3

aiyecSJ.png

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Trust me I know good games when I see them

PS:dance:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Is NWN2 worth playing?
Yes, but only so you can play Mask of the Betrayer without being confused as to what is going on. Treat the original campaign as an introductory adventure, the shitty prologue to something great that doesn't really relate that much to the aforementioned prologue.

Roscoe Scaggs

Novice
Man you guys were not kidding about the Orc caves. Just winding up Act 1 of the OC now. I certainly don't hate the game, but I'm hopeful that the best is yet to come.

Don't know if I would have been able to manage if spells had friendly fire, melee gets so tedious.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
OC is so-so. Better then NWN1 OC at least. MotB is pretty good, although the epic level power creep IS quite ridiculous.

Personally I liked the Mysteries of Westgate a lot. Middle-level DnD adventure done right. Things are not ridiculous, but fun. I also second the Maimed God Saga custom module recommendation. A very good cleric-centric middle-level module.

SoZ has some perks, but the almost nonexistant location/dungeon design (almost every area is just a tiny little map) means I don't recommend actually playing it. Buy the expansion and use its assets to play the Legacy of White Plume Mountain custom module instead. It offers a much better exploration experience.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
In my opinion Storm of Zehyr is pretty good but not tough enough but still worth playing. Mysteries of Westgate is worth playing and has some truly tough encounters. The main reason to play in my opinion is to play through the persistent worlds, specifically three that stood out to me

1) Something Something Buldar's Gate something (a very popular nwn2 server)
2) Realms of Trinity - Has a bunch of campaigns to play through and great character building options
4) Planescape something - Nice class and character building options and people seem to love the setting.

The rest seem to be some sort of sex fetish weird shit.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
The combat in NWN 1 based games is actually very good and enjoyable, the aspect which makes it suck is the lack of party control. The design of the combat and its mechanics is excellent as its it monster variety and design.
Well, I disagree. NwN2 is worse, certainly, but it is because it tried to implement party control and - God Almighty - Attacks of Opportunity in an engine that wasn't designed for party play. Even the way characters move in NwN feels awkward. The whole battle line feels like a castle of cards about to collapse at any moment. Compare it to the much more precise controls you'll find in PoE and the IE games. That said, I guess the combat would be bearable in NwN1, as long as you're ok with the 'party' size and as long as the module has sparse combat. My advice is playing nothing more complex or subtle than a self buffing fighter.

This is a vid I did for youtube nearly 10 years ago (hence 480p):

Which clearly demonstrates how NWN1 has very sound combat mechanics. Full control, as in it does exactly what you tell it to do, has lots of small details like knockdown and auras, plenty of information about what is happening, instant recognition of your orders, dynamic and exciting encounters, etc etc. It just takes someone willing to put the effort in to make a mod that utilises all these factors well for the whole game.

One fucker clicked disagree in less time that it would have taken to read this, let alone watch the vid, LMAO. Oh, and it was Delt. Well there ya go folks...
Delterius rated your post
clear.png
Disagree in the thread Is NWN2 worth playing?.

2 minutes ago

Delterius

Arcane
Your video has someone standing still for a solid minute, no doubt relieved that this fight against what appears to be two greater wyrms doesn't require the control of more than a single character. All the while you're fiddling with a submenu that stubbornly refuses to show a decent amount of information in your gigantic 10 year old screen. That is not an example of very good combat.

NwN has all the cute little details that make for a half decent ruleset. Its excellence lies in the community it spawned, where modules are more often than not praised for their writing, which is telling. The game's controls just did not age very well in comparison with the IE games and some of the other titles that came out since.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom