Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance the best game ever made?

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
And this is how I can easily identify people too stupid to enjoy camp/cheese.

You guys make it too simple!
Well, same could be said about DMC1-4. I guess Rising still caries weights of being part of Metal Gear franchise. I find that kinda baffling since whole series have more or less stupid moments.

Hm, I like it but its my first Metal Gear game so I am pretty much on other side.

Yeah, give war a chance. Problem is, MG series is anti-war.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Why is that a problem? Is there some reason a series needs to have some monolithic moral message throughout?

Besides, it seemed to me the gist of the game was that people tend to be full of shit, even when they're convincing themselves. It didn't really seem to make a value judgement on whether the ulterior motives or the resulting actions were more noble or important.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet

Well, same could be said about DMC1-4. I guess Rising still caries weights of being part of Metal Gear franchise. I find that kinda baffling since whole series have more or less stupid moments.

Hm, I like it but its my first Metal Gear game so I am pretty much on other side.

Didn't watch the video. Point of the game isn't "give war a chance" at all. Either the video is wrong or you're misunderstanding it. CHOOOOOOOOOOOOSE

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter

Didn't watch the video. Point of the game isn't "give war a chance" at all. Either the video is wrong or you're misunderstanding it. CHOOOOOOOOOOOOSE

Of course it is. Senator Armstrong preaches might makes right, and he nominates Raiden his sucessor when he is defeated by him, and Raiden embraces it, in the post-credits scene.

Why is that a problem? Is there some reason a series needs to have some monolithic moral message throughout?

Besides, it seemed to me the gist of the game was that people tend to be full of shit, even when they're convincing themselves. It didn't really seem to make a value judgement on whether the ulterior motives or the resulting actions were more noble or important.
Well it seems Revengeance took a 180 degree turn on MG former messages and morality. Here we see Raiden a black and white morality character turned a glorified psychopath, with a special attack dedicated to his past as a child soldier, when in past titles he just wanted to move on in life.

Damned Registrations

The thing is, Raiden is a vigilante fighting to stop wars. The fact that he continues to do so isn't really 'pro-war' so much as 'pro-violence'. Given how Raiden's comrades are covered by the media towards the end of the game, it's arguably even 'pro-terrorist'.

I also find it amusing you characterize him as 'turning' into a glorified psychopath, considering at that point in the game he's already massacred tons of soldiers he knew were helpless chumps. I haven't played MGS:2, but I'm guessing he's racked up a decent body count there too, with a lot less firepower. Arguing that he's become a psychopath because he stopped kidding himself about why he fights seems rather silly.

Martius

Liturgist
Eh, "Give war a chance" is just title of that video. I can try to describe what's the point of it but watching it first and judging after that would probably be better. In short you could say its about treating games like art thanks to story, visuals and other things or enjoying them thanks to gameplay. Raiden at first says stuff like "my sword is tool of justice" while Sam really cares only good fight and improving his skill. Bringing Jack back is more admitting that he truly enjoys these fights too. Also, song during Armstrong fight could fit more into last fight with Sam. Senator song play while he is in metal gear. Of course all of that could be over analysing but maybe it would make more sense if game took place after MGS2, rather than 4. After all in 2 Raiden trained in virtual reality and later we learn that he was
child soldier
While game was developed by Platinum, story was done in Kojima Productions. It was just rewritten to took place later in series, maybe Etsu Tamari took some inspiration from MGS2.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
The thing is, Raiden is a vigilante fighting to stop wars.
Yes, using any means necessary, being a sucessor to Senator Armstrong ideals.

I also find it amusing you characterize him as 'turning' into a glorified psychopath, considering at that point in the game he's already massacred tons of soldiers he knew were helpless chumps. I haven't played MGS:2, but I'm guessing he's racked up a decent body count there too, with a lot less firepower. Arguing that he's become a psychopath because he stopped kidding himself about why he fights seems rather silly.
The first half of the game was bad too, using a silly black and white morality. Later he get's into a edgy killing machine, forgetting his character built in MGS2 and MGS4, that is moving on from his past as a "dirty reminder of a terrible mistake". And his supporting cast doesn't fucking care about his psychotic persona, glorifying his actions as an hero. See this MGS2 video, contrast and compare:

See from 3:00 onwards. Raiden get's called out for even jerking off in women's bath...

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Almost forgot, you can play MGR somewhat pacifically(you will have to cut the limbs tough). You still can't avoid the Plot twist mid game. Same in MGS2, only the bosses gets killed if you wish.

Martius

Liturgist
Almost forgot, you can play MGR somewhat pacifically(you will have to cut the limbs tough). You still can't avoid the Plot twist mid game. Same in MGS2, only the bosses gets killed if you wish.
There is also wooden sword. I think that makes no kill runs possible (expect bosses but that's same for MGS too).

Damned Registrations

See from 3:00 onwards. Raiden get's called out for even jerking off in women's bath...
How is that any different from the cast telling him to stop being a dick when you strip civilians or whatever in MGR?

As far as him 'forgetting' his character growth, it seems to me more like he's actively rejecting it. And the rest of the cast isn't exactly supportive of him making that decision, but it's not like they can do anything to stop him either. He's their only firepower, so he's calling the shots during what is clearly a crisis.

And I still don't see how fighting using any means necessary = pro war. It's an 'ends justify the means' message, sure, but that rationale can be used to justify any means, including terrorism or corruption or assassinations, it has nothing to do with war in particular.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
How is that any different from the cast telling him to stop being a dick when you strip civilians or whatever in MGR?
strip civilians, how so? I only remember you getting some calls when you fail to save civilians saying "awwl man such is life"...

As far as him 'forgetting' his character growth, it seems to me more like he's actively rejecting it. And the rest of the cast isn't exactly supportive of him making that decision, but it's not like they can do anything to stop him either. He's their only firepower, so he's calling the shots during what is clearly a crisis.
Lel a crisis started by him. He was fired remember, and yet keeps getting support, validation, wathever.

Damned Registrations

Save a civilian then run after him and try to cut him down. You strip him naked and get a line about what a perv you are, etc.

I think you also get comments when you uncensor the posters scattered around the game.

I just bought it few hours ago and finished first level. Shit's ok so far, expecting it to improve later. The appeal of the type of music this game uses is beyond my comprehension though, but I got used to it in DMC, I'm sure it won't be a deal breaker here either.

Tehdagah

Arcane
http://metagearsolid.org/2014/10/mgr-sucks-debriefing/

Nice videos and articles, even if i like the game.

God, MGS fans are autists.

"Gather Your Party" sucks, too:

http://www.gatheryourparty.com/2014/12/18/anti-form-positive-punishment-in-kingdom-hearts-2/

apoapkaoka

Kingdom Hearts 2 is easy as fuck.

http://www.gatheryourparty.com/2014/10/21/the-evil-within/

There are a few different kinds of horror game. One type is the “survival horror”, which is focused on surviving enemy encounters. The fear is derived from trying to survive each level, especially since the enemies are usually as disgusting and monstrous as possible. Of course, this means that combat is limited; you are only given a few tools to fight back, and incentives to run away. This is the kind of game that Resident Evil 4 is. Another way to do it is to focus on psychological horror. The fear comes from the atmosphere, and subtle tricks on the player. It aims to scare you in an indirect way; you fear what the game might do, or is leading up to, not what is currently happening. For this kind of game to work, intelligent writing and narrative control is important. Silent Hill 2 excels at being this kind of game.
RE4 gives you incentives to fight, simply because enemies drop loot. It's worth fighting even when it isn't necessary. Few tools? You can carry a mini-army inside your wallet.

These people who pretend that RE4 isn't a shooter are getting on my nerves.

Last edited:
Meh, combat in this is way too QTE-ish for my taste, also I have trouble understanding mechanics it seems. Getting completely raped by those two legged robot walkers, they seem to be getting no damage at all no matter how much I slice them, except when sometimes I get a QTE to jump on top of one. Is that from accidentally parrying it? I can't tell.

Is there any way to actually check the move list or something? I purchased a bunch of skills and I have no clue how to actually use most of them. I've done all the VR missions that are available, didn't learn much new there. Seems like winning strategy so far is just to mash the light attack until i accidentally parry (because I can never parry properly, when that red flash comes up) and get to perform an awesome QTE. I know I probably suck and it's all my fault and mechanics in this game all make perfect sense, because why else would you people love it, but I sure wish this game was a bit better at explaining itself to noobs like me.

H-K

Learned
Is there any way to actually check the move list or something? I purchased a bunch of skills and I have no clue how to actually use most of them. I've done all the VR missions that are available, didn't learn much new there. Seems like winning strategy so far is just to mash the light attack until i accidentally parry (because I can never parry properly, when that red flash comes up) and get to perform an awesome QTE.

Press start, select help!

Oh for fuck's sake.. :lol: Ok thanks. I guess keeping that shit in skill descriptions just wouldn't be japanese enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom