Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance the best game ever made?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I just can't get around the controls in this. Right stick activates the blade mode when pressed down? Is it supposed to be like that? FFS.

Even KB+M is better ;z

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Correct. Although calling LoS partially anime is pushing it, to me; it had the right amount of stylization for fantasy video games, and something about it was distinctly European to me; they are better at striking that balance between extreme stylization and taste in their comics and illustration (see Jean "Giraud" Moebius) Still, like you said, what are the other options? Everything is tainted by pop-culture retardo. Heavenly Sword = wannabe Asian shit; Dante's Inferno = western sado/fantasy shit + modern DnD spiky shit; Darksiders = animu inspired western comic shit; God of War = Kwan meathead obsession with weird touches from modern American animation shit. Wolverine = no style shit; AssCreed = disciplined art direction (aside from flamboyant Ezio costume) but combat is shit; Ninja Gaiden = garish tokusatsu shit.

That leaves Severance, the Berserk games, Dragon's Dogma, and Souls (which aren't spectacle fighters and have some weapons that may be too anime-huge for some people's liking). Maybe Die By The Sword, but never played it.
I don't disagree on those points but still I was talking about games with good gameplay mechanics. Gotta suck it up and just deal with art style that you don't like if you want to play a game with good mechanics.

Also Cadmus I'd recommend trying AssMan (Batman). But play on Hard mode. It's not DMC quality but there's a significant difference in quality than AssCreed. Not to mention you are not always forced to resort to combat if you don't like it, the Predator semi-stealth mode (knocking mooks out while avoiding detection rather than strict avoiding detection all-together a la Thief) is well done.

actually it should be one of the triggers, i think your controller fucked up.
I don't like the implementation though. Would prefer something more DbtS. The execution in MGR is gimmicky, though I can tell it wasn't meant to be gimmicky and I can see the devs improving on it.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I will agree MGR's biggest failure is that it does not explain its mechanics. It doesn't even do it slightly, and that's a bad flaw in a video game.

I would normally say that MGR is like PS:T in that the joy it gives me goes far beyond its mechanics, but that does it a disservice, because it implies that the games mechanics were particularly bad. They weren't, they weren't the best ever, but they were very fun to play and use, as long as you understood them, and as I mentioned that is the game's main failing, not explaining its mechanics. Once you know them, everything else about the game just is so joyful, at least in my experience. I've read the thread and see people arguing about whether its too anime or not, to me honestly I don't give much of a shit (I've been nerdy in many ways but never got into anime or carin, I see it in more terms of being a Kojima game. He can be influenced by anime or not, that's beyond my perspective, I know Kojima and not anime, and he has this adorable weird style in his games where a lot of it is cringey and B-movie but still not retarded. That all is part of what makes it great to me. I mean cringeworthy in presentation not really in content, like a clever person could have done a much better job, but he's the guy who has a game studio and it's also easy to tell he's being earnest

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Dark Souls level popamole console games released in the last two generations:

MGR
Ninja Gaiden Black
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Metroid Prime
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Shadow of the Colossus
DMC3, 4
Bayonetta
Vanquish
God Hand
Red Dead Redemption (borderline)
Shin Megami Tensei 3
Shadow Tower Abyss
Resident Evil remake
Sands of Time
Ikaruga
First couple chapters of RE4.
Some other shit I don't feel like typing.

Notice something?

They are from the country that hasn't gone fullMcintosh yet?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Dark Souls level popamole console games released in the last two generations:

MGR
Ninja Gaiden Black
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Metroid Prime
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Shadow of the Colossus
DMC3, 4
Bayonetta
Vanquish
God Hand
Red Dead Redemption (borderline)
Shin Megami Tensei 3
Shadow Tower Abyss
Resident Evil remake
Sands of Time
Ikaruga
First couple chapters of RE4.
Some other shit I don't feel like typing.

Notice something?

They are from the country that hasn't gone fullMcintosh yet?
Full SJW*

Actually it's kinda weird. Japan is a culture that hasn't really gone full consumerism. Even China's "Communist" culture (obviously not) is very much consumerist. But Japanese people are just like, I like to do weird and perverted things.

For better or worse.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
SJWs are now also to blame for popamole console games. lel. They are the jews to neckbeard's nazi germany
But Japanese people are just like, I like to do weird and perverted things.
Notice the sophisticated understanding of Japanese culture

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
They are not the cause but the most evident symptom of the malaise which is at the root of everything being shit. And that malaise is called turning into a fucking vagina.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Jews are probably behind SJWs in the first place. Hell, isn't Zoe Quinn's current boyfriend a Jew? I rest my case.

praetor

Arcane
no. not even close. the pathetic attempts at one-liners that aren't even "so bad it's good" and would be cringe worthy even in Expendables 3. plus, it's waaaay too long for what it is. it's just boring drivel, like 99% of the franchise. Dante at its worst is 1000000 times better than this

DramaticPopcorn

It's tryhard animu manga dialogue. In "Ss-bad-it's-good" kinda way , imo

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
no. not even close. the pathetic attempts at one-liners that aren't even "so bad it's good" and would be cringe worthy even in Expendables 3. plus, it's waaaay too long for what it is. it's just boring drivel, like 99% of the franchise. Dante at its worst is 1000000 times better than this

And this is how I can easily identify people too stupid to enjoy camp/cheese.

You guys make it too simple!

Edit - I now realize that perhaps DramaticPopcorn understands. Difficult to infer from that sentence. praetor on the other hand continues to play the part of the jester for us all - good chap!

Last edited:

Martius

Liturgist

Well, same could be said about DMC1-4. I guess Rising still caries weights of being part of Metal Gear franchise. I find that kinda baffling since whole series have more or less stupid moments.

Hm, I like it but its my first Metal Gear game so I am pretty much on other side.

Last edited:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
To be fair - I've never criticized DMC1-4's cheesiness/campiness. I criticized DMC1 for its content because it's aged terribly and is still held in high regard. 3's campiness in particular I was especially fond of.

Gerrard

Arcane
I completely forgot how godawful the voice acting was in this. Thanks for reminding me.

Martius

Liturgist
To be fair - I've never criticized DMC1-4's cheesiness/campiness. I criticized DMC1 for its content because it's aged terribly and is still held in high regard. 3's campiness in particular I was especially fond of.
Of course! I too think that is strong part DMC and I enjoy it. I just think its strange to complain about camp in Rising while whole Metal Gear franchise was never full serious. Heck, even some games embrace camp (Snake Eater for example).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Do the Japanese have to be so weird all the time though? I had my share of exposure to anime when i was kid, mostly stuff from the 80s and early 90s that often was televised on Italian TV, and most of it was just plain weird and spazzy, but it had a certain charm (and possibly a bit of heart as well, something modern cartoons lack completely) and even the art style wasn't as excessive as it is today. Than, at some point during the 90s their stuff had a tonal shift towards an increased amount of weirdness and spazziness while all the charm simply got sucked out of everything.

Ho, i guess this is how i would classify "so bad its good" anime:

I watched this shit religiously from the time i was seven years old to almost my mid teens, when i finally grew out of it. Every time i see it now something inside me dies for how embarrassing the whole thing is.

praetor

Arcane

Edit - I now realize that perhaps DramaticPopcorn understands. Difficult to infer from that sentence. praetor on the other hand continues to play the part of the jester for us all - good chap!

it is telling that you need to resort to ad hominems to defend your shitty taste. i do enjoy camp/cheese but now when it's so bad. the writing is simply shit. it's not "so bad it's good", not even close. it's worse than most anime. like the rest of the MG franchise, really. it's just pathetic drivel/nonsense

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Do the Japanese have to be so weird all the time though? I had my share of exposure to anime when i was kid, mostly stuff from the 80s and early 90s that often was televised on Italian TV, and most of it was just plain weird and spazzy, but it had a certain charm (and possibly a bit of heart as well, something modern cartoons lack completely) and even the art style wasn't as excessive as it is today. Than, at some point during the 90s their stuff had a tonal shift towards an increased amount of weirdness and spazziness while all the charm simply got sucked out of everything.

Ho, i guess this is how i would classify "so bad its good" anime:

I watched this shit religiously from the time i was seven years old to almost my mid teens, when i finally grew out of it. Every time i see it now something inside me dies for how embarrassing the whole thing is.

I think the market got bigger (Weeaboos) so it's harder to find the "gems."

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Reminder that theres like 8 hours of dialogue in the game in Codec, and while it's not the smartest stuff ever it is better than anything I've ever heard out of you fucking retards

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom