Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance the best game ever made?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Particularly fun build to give newbies a training session on how For Answer works is to pick an AC that's equipped with two of the 72 missile salvo vertical launchers as back units and the 24 missile salvo shoulder linked unit. Anyone who's coming from no mech game background or solely MechWarrior background shits their pants when they see it first, though it serves as a good lesson on NEXT mobility since any properly built non-tank NEXT can deal with Macross Missile Barrage.

Sometimes I've wondered if I should check if anyone's done timing tests for the weapon muzzle velocities in For Answer. Just wondered how close to actual muzzle velocities they would be, given that the ranges at least seem like it's entirely possible that the muzzle velocities are fairly accurate (given how at long ranges you have ~>1 second to dodge). Now I can't remember if the PS2 games modelled ballistic trajectory for all solid ammo weaponry... At least I think rifle and machine gun bullets went in a straight line instead of starting to arc down as they do in 4 series once they run out of initial velocity (which also causes their damage to decline, for information of those not familiar with the series).

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Of all the Cuhrayzee I've played:

MGR > DMC3 > Bayo > DmC > DMC1 > DMC2

Fuck DMC1. Also I am aware that DmC isn't really considered Cuhrayzee, but I figured I may as well add it for comparison's sake.

I also need to play more Cuhrayzee.

If you really think that Bayo is harder than MG:R on Revegneance, then you need to learn how to hit "R" and how to use the moon shield (I forget the name). DMC3 is harder than MG:R, but has a lot of pacing issues with its trash fights (chess pieces anyone?). MGR is also just plain funner, for whatever that's worth anymore.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
50% off on Steam daily deal. Tempting, but i'm still not sure whether i like the idea of playing as a homo doing awesome shit (tm) while gay power metal music plays in the background. :negative:

Is the PC port at least good?

Last edited:
It's a pretty good port. Doesn't run horribly on decent hardware, mouse works in menus, proper keyboard/mouse prompts if you use them, rebind keys to your desire from in-game.

My only complaint is that the mouselook can feel a bit annoying when the game has a kind of soft or hard lockon (depending on context) to certain enemies or events. It's obviously meant for controllers who don't have good view control and need the extra help to keep the player looking at stuff coming at them, but it can get disorienting with the mouse. The worst example of this is the very first boss fight though. If you can deal with that the rest of the game is pretty smooth.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, i have a controller, so that's not an issue.

So, i just bought the game. This shit takes 25GB of hard drive space? Why?

I'm now basically a console fag, and possibly might turn into a real fag once i start playing the game. I guess i simply couldn't help succumbing to the decline.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
If we measure things based on how many shits are given about the whole SJW sideshow thing going on, Japanese are probably farthest away from decline:

79S3exD.png

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Well, i have a controller, so that's not an issue.

So, i just bought the game. This shit takes 25GB of hard drive space? Why?

I'm now basically a console fag, and possibly might turn into a real fag once i start playing the game. I guess i simply couldn't help succumbing to the decline.

Uncompressed audio most likely. For some reason that shit's all the rage. The theory is that it deters piracy from third world shitholes that can't into huge downloads. If that's actually the case, it hurts a lot of real consumers as well though.

I chalk it up to laziness.

Anyway, the game is a 10/10, just stop being uptight and let yourself have some fun. It's a video game in every sense of the term.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
such a fucking good game. Zandatsus get kind of samey and I kind of wish they weren't there because they're a one-hit awesome button and the perfect answer to every mook fight, which is bad. That's my one complaint about the game though and it's not as bad as Ninja Gaiden's flying swallow so hey

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If there is one thing that makes Revengeance a truly memorable experience it's corny plot and the main boss - senator Armstrong. The whole ending battle divided into a couple of phases was so surreal. DMC series is a terra incognita for me, I've played only Chaos Legion so I can't compare the combat system. Cutting things with the sword was fun though, I admit that. The music was a teenage rock/metal something, but it was perfect for this game. It's a shame that Platinum games are mostly console exclusives, I would try their other titles.

CupBv1x.jpg

:salute:

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Fuck that shit buy Korra
Tried Korra, it's kinda meh. Mechanics are quite similar to DmC, but simplified to the state, when fights are just long and boring QTE.
Get more elements and combos. The mooks are just easy, I wish they threw more benders at you. But the fights aren't QTEs unless you sit on your ass waiting for counters, or if you only played 10 minutes and have one element and haven't bought any extra skills. A lot of the offensive attacks can be used defensively (block or destroy projectiles) or for crowd control.

praetor

Arcane
to anyone insinuating the "music" in this is rock/metal: fuck you (cue a legion saying "this is totally metal bro"). this worse than the mallcore that was on mtv when i was a teenager more than a decade ago. i'd rather spend a week with only slipknot, limb bizkit or linkin park than 5 mins with the OST of this game. i have honestly never heard a worse soundtrack in my life. fortunately the game is good and the music can be turned off...

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Unskippable Cutscenes: The Game.

But why does Raiden wear stripper shoes?

The cutscenes are skippable.

hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Unless you mean unskippable as in they're too amazing to skip, in which case you are correct.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
to anyone insinuating the "music" in this is rock/metal: fuck you (cue a legion saying "this is totally metal bro"). this worse than the mallcore that was on mtv when i was a teenager more than a decade ago. i'd rather spend a week with only slipknot, limb bizkit or linkin park than 5 mins with the OST of this game. i have honestly never heard a worse soundtrack in my life. fortunately the game is good and the music can be turned off...

Consider self lobotomy. For the good of the world. Thanks.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
He's right though. The music is pop metal trash. I guess it fits the general cheesiness of the game (i guess i'll know when i start playing), but if this was from a real band i would certainly invoke exterminatus.

Gerrard

Arcane
Of all the Cuhrayzee I've played:

MGR > DMC3 > Bayo > DmC > DMC1 > DMC2
Shit taste detected.

Why are people comparing this game to Bayonetta or DMCs? It's not a fucking spectacle fighter when all the spectacle is confined in cutscenes and QTEs.
And you don't gain anything by fighting in a flashy way. Quite the opposite. There's fucking stealth and stealth kills in this for fuck's sake.

Machocruz

Arcane
Dark Souls level popamole console games released in the last two generations:

MGR
Ninja Gaiden Black
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Metroid Prime
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Shadow of the Colossus
DMC3, 4
Bayonetta
Vanquish
God Hand
Red Dead Redemption (borderline)
Shin Megami Tensei 3
Shadow Tower Abyss
Resident Evil remake
Sands of Time
Ikaruga
First couple chapters of RE4.
Some other shit I don't feel like typing.

Notice something?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom