Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is "Mass Effect 2" an RPG or a TPS?

ME2 = RPG or TPS?

• RPG

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • TPS

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
(Sorry guys, it had to be done)

Which on is it?

TPS with RPG elements. The RPG in it isn't strong enough for it to be classified as such. Oh and Volly, there's no such thing as an aRPG, just a lazy RPG or an aspiring action game.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
You have to call ME an RPG. Otherwise you have to dump 2/3 of the JRPGs, every dungeon hak, and every 'RPG' in the DA mold that constantly tries to find an excuse to put in you in another combat encounter.

You also have to call it an RPG for the integrity of the FPS/and shooter genre too or risk lambasting the rest of the genre for failing to deliver a double Hollywood scrip of dialog, a fleshy story, D&Desque statistical advancement, and other RPG shat. If ME is a shooter then its indeed unique to the genre. As an RPG its typical everyday.

Another thing from my pers experiance at the office its the RPG heads that ran out and bought ME 2.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Kaanyrvhok said:
You have to call ME an RPG. Otherwise you have to dump 2/3 of the JRPGs, every dungeon hak, and every 'RPG' in the DA mold that constantly tries to find an excuse to put in you in another combat encounter.

You also have to call it an RPG for the integrity of the FPS/and shooter genre too or risk lambasting the rest of the genre that failed to deliver a Hollywood scrip of dialog, a story, D&Desque statistical advancement and other RPG shit. If ME is a shooter then its indeed unique to the genre. As an RPG its typical everyday.

:thumbsup:

ME2 = RPG or TPS?
Neither. For better or worse, depending on which genre one attributes to it.
It sucks as an RPG and it sucks as a TPS, but it delivers the cheesy space fantasy to those who crave it. That's all.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
WTF? TSP? WTYF?

Seriosuly, guys, isn't a TPS basically an Action game?

Really, WTF. What's the difference between a shooter an action game anyways?

Shooter = guns

Action - swords

That's fuckin' dumb.

That would make Fallout a fuckin' TURN BASE SHOOTER. lmfao

ME/ME2 are fuckin' Action RPGs. EXACTLY AS FUCKIN' ADVTERISED. Fuckin' amazin' that.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
WhiskeyWolf said:

Which on is it?
Andyman Messiah said:
I hate you.

It's an rpg. A very vague rpg.
Are you guys triyng to mimic Gintama? You remind me about that episode where special police squad though they are too unpopular because all these RPG shooting into shops and similar stuff. So they decided to make a singer theirs chief for one day.

She was known for her vulgar anti police songs... Her father was in jail for murder... First she did was sing about how all policemen are shit. Then she gave them order which caused them to speak similarly to you two.

Actually they added stuff at the end of the sentence.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO IT IS A FAG CONSOLEFAGE POPAMOLE SHOOTER THAT IS NOWEATR AS GOOD AS NWN WHICH WAS AWESOME BEFORE THE CODEX TOLD ME IT WASNT

Kaanyrvhok said:
You have to call ME an RPG. Otherwise you have to dump all games except Fallout, Fallout 2, Planescape: Torment and Arcanum.

I'm perfectly fine with that.

Also fixed your post.

Longshanks

Augur
Kaanyrvhok said:
No. It's not the abundance of combat that makes it a non-RPG in the eyes of some.

Demiath

Novice
It's a game with shooting, character development, exploration and dialogue in it, so I'd call it an "action adventure/RPG hybrid" since that's a categorization which seems to incorporate as many of the above elements as possible. TPS is not quite as relevant since (unlike RPG or action adventure) it only captures the combat dimension of ME2 and none of the game's other content. Granted, the term "action adventure" itself is terribly vague, but since I personally associate that term with games like Outcast and Beyond Good & Evil (i.e. third-person action games with a lot of exploration and dialogue) I think it fits rather well as one half of ME2's genre amalgam.

But, really, categorizations aren't all that important...

ricolikesrice

Arcane
i m not sure whether it is an RPG or whether it is a shooter, what i m sure off is that Mass Effect 2 has heart. It has soul. If Mass Effect 2 sang the Blues, you'd want to listen. This is a game made by people who genuinely loved what they were doing, and it's clear that rather than asking themselves "How can we best serve the market?", the developers instead asked "Wouldn't it be awesome if . . .?" It has all the enthusiasm and the quirkiness (for better and worse) of an indie game, but the production values that only a multi-million dollar budget will buy.

It has flaws - plenty of them - but ultimately it's a great game. I have had more fun with Mass Effect 2 than with any RPG released in the last few years. Mass Effect 2 is not "game as art," as Planescape: Torment and (more recently) Mask of the Betrayer have tried to be. Instead, it is "game as game", something that has been equally rare recently in the RPG genre. There is a focus on gameplay, on RPG mechanics, on depth of setting and on immersion.

All in all, I liked Mass Effect 2 very much. Someone might now ask ‘wait, what? So many flaws from the linear corridor level design to regenerating health to shitty AI, but he still says it’s a very good game?’. Well, yes, the game is definitely not flawless, but the cons are totally overshadowed by the pros, and most of the flaws are actually rather minor for this type of gameplay. The plot is rather silly, planets are underdeveloped, but then again, it’s not what this game is about. What it's about is exploration of the universe, getting to know many interesting NPCs, gathering loot, fighting challenging fights, renegade/paragon options, and… romance. Believe me when I say that the romances will imprint themselves in your memory for a long time if you play it properly, and I just can’t find words to describe how marvellous they were.

Now we can only hope that Biowares next game will have the story of Dragon Age and the gameplay of Mass Effect 2, which I might say could be the recipe for a monumental cRPG.

Mass Effect 2 is enjoyable, addictive, and deeply satisfying, and I wholeheartedly recommend it. If the Codex gave numerical scores, I'd give this an 8.5 out of 10. Since we don't, pretend you didn't see that.

WhiskeyWolf said:
Stop copy-pasting shit.

Let’s start this like a proper review this time, shall we… Imagine a power that would place one human above all other, a power of being in many places at the same time, a power which overcomes death itself. Such person would become almost a god, wouldn’t he? Now imagine that you are that person. What would you do? What would be your desire? Your ultimate target? Ok, enough with the proper stuff.

Yoshiaki Tabata and Yûki Yugo bring you “Akumetsu”, a story of Shou Hazama, an ordinary, yet somehow comical and sleazy, high-school student. If you think this will be one of those “high-school student saves the day by beating up bad guys” types of mangas then I’m very sorry but you just missed your target by a couple of hundred miles there.

Before I start sounding overly positive you should know that this work is not the second coming… or cuming, depends what you prefer. To say more, by structure alone it’s good/decent and nothing more. What really make it unique and truly great is the themes it deals with. The detail it goes into to explain how badly your being fucked by the ruling class (for those who don’t understand what I mean – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ3xxwQvVnE ), Shou’s motivation and methods of cleaning up the evil. Two words – fuck yeah.

Although wikipedia describes the setup as “near-future fictional Japan” you will probably notice that the way this manga portraits and explains all the political stuff it makes it seems as all this already happened or is happening (I’m not an expert a Japan modern history so I can’t tell for sure). After reading some more you will also notice that all this is in truth an elaborate way of telling the government (and the earlier governments) a big “FUCK YOU! REMEMBER THAT THERE ARE CONSEQUENCES YOU SONSOFBITCHES!”.

I can guarantee that you won’t find another manga like this, be sure to check it out.

One more thing. This is directed to all those emo-faggots that think this is the next Death Note, it’s NOT. Now go suck somewhere else.

Ch1ef

Scholar
Code:
ME2 = RPG or TPS?
RPG 	 	
	 25%  	[ 10 ]
TPS 		
	 75%  	[ 30 ]
Total Votes : 40
Well whaddayaknow...
All is not lost. :salute:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Its good for what it is.

More actual insight after I have played it.

Because as my BRO Blobert always says: you have to know what you hate so play it to death.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Volourn said:
WTF? TSP? WTYF?

Seriosuly, guys, isn't a TPS basically an Action game?

Really, WTF. What's the difference between a shooter an action game anyways?
Shooter is an action game but action is such a broad term that it doesn't tell you much about the game. Shooters are action games, platformers are action games, hack 'n' slashes are action games, bet 'em ups are action games... It's one of these squares and rectangles things. TPS is much more specific term.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Raghar said:
WhiskeyWolf said:

Which on is it?
Andyman Messiah said:
I hate you.

It's an rpg. A very vague rpg.
Are you guys triyng to mimic Gintama? You remind me about that episode where special police squad though they are too unpopular because all these RPG shooting into shops and similar stuff. So they decided to make a singer theirs chief for one day.

She was known for her vulgar anti police songs... Her father was in jail for murder... First she did was sing about how all policemen are shit. Then she gave them order which caused them to speak similarly to you two.

Actually they added stuff at the end of the sentence.
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Majority has spoken. Now move the threads to general gaming and stop posting news about it on the main page.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom