Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is it time for a new Codex Top 50-70 thingamajig?

Has the time come for a new RPGCodex Top 50 RPGs poll?

• Yes

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • No

Votes: 45 62.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 7 9.7%

• Total voters
So the last infamous poll was done in 2014. It has now been 3 years. There are two interesting developments that might change the votes significantly from the last one.

The first is that in the last three years, quite a few decent to great RPGs have come out, games like The Witcher 3, Divinity Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity, Age of Decadence, Underrail, Serpent in the Staglands, and so on. While you may argue about their exact quality, it is clear that they are much better than what we had for much of 2000s. Given that a lot more people here played them than many of the old classics, it is inevitable that many of them will stake a claim on any new list.

The other development that might impact any new vote is the fact that the 2014 vote might have had the effect of encouraging people to play many of the older classics for the first time. I don't have any exact data on this, but I know I used the top 70 list as a guideline on which RPGs I should try to play, and have completed many of them since 2014. I have heard similar stories from many other people, so I think this was something real and tangible. What is interesting is how much this would impact any new vote, by bringing great old classics more exposure.

Anyways, weigh in, Codex.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So the last infamous poll was done in 2014. It has now been 3 years. There are two interesting developments that might change the votes significantly from the last one.

The first is that in the last three years, quite a few decent to great RPGs have come out, games like The Witcher 3, Divinity Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity, Age of Decadence, Underrail, Serpent in the Staglands, and so on. While you may argue about their exact quality, it is clear that they are much better than what we had for much of 2000s. Given that a lot more people here played them than many of the old classics, it is inevitable that many of them will stake a claim on any new list.

The other development that might impact any new vote is the fact that the 2014 vote might have had the effect of encouraging people to play many of the older classics for the first time. I don't have any exact data on this, but I know I used the top 70 list as a guideline on which RPGs I should try to play, and have completed many of them since 2014. I have heard similar stories from many other people, so I think this was something real and tangible. What is interesting is how much this would impact any new vote, by bringing great old classics more exposure.

Anyways, weigh in, Codex.

I don't think that would be wise. The list isn't going to get any better.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Not really.

Do what I do: if the Top 70 was sacred, the Top 25 (2012-2016) is sacred too.

Worth mentioning is that the Top 25 is a much more valuable voting. Why? Because people were able to rate everything they played, and not just limit their votes to a handful of videogames. It's also why I think the Top 70 ranking is fairly good, yet at the same time lacks substance.

What I would kill to see is a new Top 70 poll where everyone is able to rate ALL the 72 games. So now we will truly know the Codex opinion on those 72 games. That would be very interesting to see. Free from the shackles of nomination, we can see how the classics truly stand against the newer titles.

DeepOcean

Arcane
What great news? Witcha 3 GOTY from Poleware and all those nostalgia bait, Made in China versions of better games from kickstarter? Maybe AoD and Underrail deserve some place there but I'm being generous.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Of course it's not the same, but it gives a pretty good idea. W3, D:OS, AoD and Underrail surely would get into the Top 20, the rest would likely push down some classics and make people butthurt.

Regardless, you have a list with the best games from 1974-2014 and one from 2012-2016. That's all you need - it makes no difference to know if Witcher 3 is more or less popular than Wizadry 8.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Take the Top 70 poll and add the recent 2012-2016 results. There you go.

It's not the same because in the top 70 you had only a limited number of points to distribute. Also bayesian average and negative votes.

It's why we should vote again on the Top 70, but with the same games. And after we have those results, now littered with 1s and 2s, we can add the newer 2012-2016 results on top.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Of course it's not the same, but it gives a pretty good idea. W3, D:OS, AoD and Underrail surely would get into the Top 20, the rest would likely push down some classics and make people butthurt.

As long they push Mass Effect from the list I will be a happy person.

KILLER BEAR

Educated

I'm not so sure about that. People may give D:OS 4/5 in a "what are the best recent RPGs" thread but what if they only have 25 points to distribute in every RPG ever?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Then instead of being in the 20's it would end up 30's or in the 40's. Does that really change much?

I wanna know which games I should take a look at, not if people voted that Dragon Age: Origins is two positions better than Daggerfall. That's why I made it a Top 70 list, not a Top 10.

DeepOcean

Arcane
It would be pretty funny to watch Witcher 3 on the top position on the Top 10, this would make the transformation of this place on Edgy RPGwatch complete.

tormund

Arcane
Da, komarad. Is to add Wiezmin The 3 and then more Wiezmin The 4: The Return of Kurwa Zwoljecnakja Palanuska Geraltovski on many places of list for maximum effect. Is best of potato harvest since '97.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Da, komarad. Is to add Wiezmin The 3 and then more Wiezmin The 4: The Return of Kurwa Zwoljecnakja Palanuska Geraltovski on many places of list for maximum effect. Is best of potato harvest since '97.

:outrage:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
It's probably too soon, but I do have a suggestion for the next Codex Top X poll, whenever it occurs: Have everyone input the year in which they played their first CRPG. This would easily allow examination of how tastes vary for CRPG newbies versus old-timers (choosing arbitrary years to use as a dividing line), which I think would be quite interesting.

V_K

Arcane
It's probably too soon, but I do have a suggestion for the next Codex Top X poll, whenever it occurs: Have everyone input the year in which they played their first CRPG. This would easily allow examination of how tastes vary for CRPG newbies versus old-timers (choosing arbitrary years to use as a dividing line), which I think would be quite interesting.
What if it wasn't a new game though? For example, I played my first RPG in 1998, but it was Star Trail from 1994.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

That and some approximation of how many RPG's you've played. The reason I don't like top whatever lists (besides them being cancerous Buzzfeed journalism) is that the people who make them have had extremely small and biased sample sizes.

That and some approximation of how many RPG's you've played. The reason I don't like top whatever lists (besides them being cancerous Buzzfeed journalism) is that the people who make them have had extremely small and biased sample sizes.

What would prevent people from lying though? "Oh yeah, I completed 300 RPGs!" <goes back to Skyrim shrine>

We would need a Codex exam, with 30 multiple choice questions for each RPG to verify completion claims. octavius and Fowyr ?

DeepOcean

Arcane
Smelly immigrants from decline forums must be extremely vetted too. If the only RPGs someone played is anything released after Skyrim, this person doesn't know what RPGs are.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
What if it wasn't a new game though? For example, I played my first RPG in 1998, but it was Star Trail from 1994.
The first CRPG I ever played was Rogue, but I would still count that as 1986 when I played it rather than 1980 when it was originally released.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
We should also factor in people's Stats, with the value of their votes being based on their General RPG Discussion percentage.

Last edited:

Iznaliu

Arbiter
No kingcomrade option. HERESY!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom