Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is it me getting older and jaded or Half-Life 2 is one of the worst shooters?

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Video is cool, but the guy is clearly playing at a very low difficulty setting. Also, If you told a modern console kid that there was a game that allowed to to do a slow-mo bicicle/slide kick followed by shotting a dude in the face several times while he is in the air and it was NOT a bullshit one-button takedown, but rather an actual in-game mechanic the kid wouldn't believe you. Because shooters DEvolved from the original F.E.A.R. And I'm including the mediocre sequels (FEAR 2 and 3). Also...

D7FA2454D1C72CBCAA781FEF8B0CCEFA920B8185

A highly advanced alien species managed to show the player's feet in an FPS game. Sadly, such advanced technology was lost when said alien civilization mysteriously vanished.

Showing feet/torso was also a feature in several FP games released around the same time like Escape from Butcher Bay and Dark Messiah (both very cool games), that's one "muh immersion" aspect I've always liked (FEAR even shows you swimming in FP when underwater, pretty neat stuff). FEAR 3 wasn't even done by Monolith and FEAR 2 was severely watered down multiplatform junk. FEAR series ended with Extraction Point as far as I'm concerned (though I think Perseus Mandate has a few redeeming qualities as well).

HansDampf

Arcane
I'm already subscribed to antisocialfatman and watched his review too. If I remember correctly, he also holds half-life 2 in high regards.
He does, but not as a shooter. He also says it's disappointing compared to the first game.

A horse of course

FEAR does have one notable weakness compared to HL2, which is its appalling lack of interesting environments. It could also have done with some more enemy variety, which was mostly fixed by the expansions with the modified Ninja/Commando and mech suits. To its credit, FEAR 2 had neither of these issues, despite its own shortcomings.

Master

Arbiter
You can say the locations werent interesting in themselves but it worked in a way. It had this John Carpenter movie feel to it, like "something big is going down... in this warehouse."

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I was actually pretty disappointed with F.E.A.R. when it came out. I mean, sure, it's a goddamn masterpiece if you look at it today. It really gets the gunplay right, and in a shooter that's pretty important. I'd say it's also the only thing it gets right: the story is shit, there are very few different enemy types, the environments are all grey and repetitive, and the horror elements are awfully misplaced and annoy the shit out of you every time you're forced to go throught them. Everything that is good in the game revolves around shooting shit, even things like the level design, which looks bland and boring as shit almost all of the time but manages to offer layouts that allow for gunfights to play out in countless different ways.

In the end, this says more about the expectations one could have back in 2005 than it says about F.E.A.R. Today I'd forgive all of that in a heartbeat if the combat was even half as good.

Halo is infinitely better than Half-Life 2. Better weapons, better story, bigger environments and more tacticool wombat with the different enemy types. Lots of people on codex will refuse to accept this because they're obsessed with looking cool and are too self-conscious to appreciate a console shooter. Luckily you have people like me to tell you what's good.
From what I remember, Halo had one decent weapon, and that was the pistol. HL2 had at least three and a half good ones, so I'm already doubting whether to believe you or not.

But really, almost every decline feature in modern shooters can be traced back to Halo. Regenerating health? Halo's shield system was probably the number one influence. Two-weapon limit? Halo did it. Slow-ass gameplay fit for gamepads? Look no further. HL2 seems almost old school in comparison. While it's probably not fair to criticize Halo for other games copying its features blindly (which applies to HL and HL2 too), it really is a pretty fucking boring game, especially since you spend like half of it backtracking through the same environments you've already cleaned out once.

Destroid

Arcane
The saddest thing about HL2 was the lack of quality original mods. The only ones I recall being worth much (that weren't updates of HL1 mods) were Neotokyo and Dystopia.

Master

Arbiter
the story is shit

How was the story in FEAR shit? It was pretty well told - most of it through phone calls and radio news which were like audio logs except, they made sense. It was like a novel take on that whole System Shock gimmick. Later Bioshock, Dead Space, Alien Isolation and a host of others went 15 years backwards. Also FEAR didnt(to my knowledge) had a SINGLE case of "people writing stuff on the walls before they die, preferably in their own blood". Commendable for that alone.

And the intro

Dont tell me this left you cold man. When Fettel screams and wakes up the Replicas, its powerful stuff and blows the shit out of Half Life "emotional momnets", Bioshocks little sisters and whatever else.

It also had better humor if you stuck around teammates for awhile and a better funny elevator scene than HL.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
latest

Paxton Fettel is probably one of the greatest antagonist in FPP games. Unlike doctor Breen in HL 2, who is being used by aliens and could be replaced easily by someone else, Fettel is a man who spent most of his life as guinea pig of Armacham he still proves through the plot that he isn't blindly killing people without reason. We realize that he in fact tried to avoid sensless killing and minimize the casualties. Peter Lurie giving him a voice was important as well. Without it his dialogues wouldn't feel the same.

tormund

Arcane
I'm a bit easy on original Halo since it happened to come closer to being SP Unreal sequel than wretched Unreal 2 was, and its PC version was released relatively close to it. Mysterious alien world, open outdoors maps, somewhat agile and intelligent enemies... Even their soundtracks struck me as similar in some parts. That is not so say that it was anywhere near on par with Unreal, iit definitely introduced some decline features that would be abused later and much about it was genuinely bad: cartoony design of its aliens, some godawful indoors sections (dat copypaste design)...

Hoplopfheil

Literate
ltally5.jpg

The aliens in Halo are only cartoony when compared to the cavalcade of PMCs and Insurgents that were popular at the time.

I also find it ironic that the same gamers will complain about modern shooters being too monochromatic, and about Halo being colorful.

tormund

Arcane
I also find it ironic that the same gamers will complain about modern shooters being too monochromatic, and about Halo being colorful.
dem strawmen

Point at least two codexers who made exact complaints about both, with their comments properly quoted.
And I specifically complained about alien designs, not about game being "too colorful".

Hoplopfheil

Literate
dem strawmen

Point at least two codexers who made exact complaints about both, with their comments properly quoted.
And I specifically complained about alien designs, not about game being "too colorful".

Just a general observation. My response to you, specifically, was the screenie of Unreal.

schru

Arcane
I was somewhat disappointed by Half-Life 2 but I also enjoyed it a lot. My basic expectations were formed by the following three trailers that made it seem like Valve were aiming for a more prohibitive, survival-style approach to encounters with enemies, so that avoiding enemies, taking them by surprise, or making dashing escapes would be the game's thing (somewhat similar to encounters with the Marines in the first game, which could be deadly before getting used to them). Here are those trailers:

The soldiers seemed like a hazard to be avoided, the physics traps seemed elaborate, more important, and sometimes even not so clearly signalled (the container), the zombies seemed like they could swarm the player, there was a weapon-limit that would make the conservation of resources more important, and Combine's synthetic creatures seemed like a terror to be avoided at all costs. Added to all that, in order for those elements to make sense and work, the maps would have to be a little less linear. Valve revealed somewhere that for example they planned for the canals chapter to be non-linear, but they found that their testers were trying to explore everything, which Valve didn't want them to do, so they made them linear.

What the game turned out to be, as a shooter, was simply easy, bordering on triviality one third of the time perhaps. The weapons might not feel that powerful, but they're enough to obliterate the enemies most of the time as soon as you see them, so while the soldiers have adequate AI (they can flank, they do have many situational comments) they simply don't last and the player has no motivation to experiment (relying on the shot-gun and the gravity-gun more made the combat more enjoyable for me).

The game's main strengths are the set-piece encounters, the well-executed cinematic style (I mean both the integration of cutscene-like moments into the flow of the game and how cool the combat set pieces can look), and the aesthetics. I think the challenge was basically sacrificed for the sake of the flow and immersion. The set pieces make for varied situations and they're nice as arranged action scenes – more like immersive scenes than segments that are engaging in terms of the game-play. This is especially appart in the first third or so of the game, where weapons like the pistol and the SMG give audio-visual enjoyment more than anything, and even Ravenholm relies on that sort of thing.

I get the complaint about how different the various sections are, but I don't think the vehicles are a gimmick, they're pretty fun to drive, and the physics are implemented well enough to be perfectly serviceable (throwing back grenades by hand or with the g-gun is especially fun). The friendly squad was pretty useless and annoying, though.

Finally, the story is quite fitting actually if you ignore the character-centric family part (the main writer, Laidlaw, said that it was his big central idea for making people care about the story). The G-Man has some sort of a shady deal with the resistance and Gordon is not quite there for the reason the resistance people want to admit. He acts more as an agent provocateur, the uprising seems doomed to fight against impossible odds, and Gordon possibly destroys the city by blowing up the Citadel at the end (sadly disproved by the Episodes). It has a nice eerie feel to it, what with the G-Man's ulterior motives, and Breen's being kind of a villain with reasonable motivation of a collaborator. The dialgoue is also pretty well written and acted much of the time, it's just not very interesting to see all those scenes on replays.

All in all, I think Valve wanted to make the game more accessible to people, emphasizing flow and immersion as the most important factors, making it not a casual shooter, but more like shooter light. The Episodes were shorter and more tightly designed, and it was easier to enjoy them for what they were at that point.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's worse than HL1 but it's still a good game. People here might consider it a 'bad game' because most everyone else vastly overrates it.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
It's p. bad. Besides playing with the gravity gun in ravenholm there's like nothing fun in the game.

Ash

Arcane
Best pureblood FPS 2000-2010:

STALKER: SoC
NOLF2
Wolfenstien 2009
Return to Castle Wolfenstien

None of which I'd say are outstanding.

Then there's the more mediocre but perhaps worth a play if you're a shooter fan and have exhausted all other options:

Half-Life 2
Timesplitters: Future Perfect
FEAR
Red Faction
Doom 3

Lol, I referred to this list: Best 50 FPS Evar!! to check if I was missing anything noteworthy and of course Half-Life 2 is number fucking one :roll:

There was probably more incline in those years for third person shooters (GUN, The Punisher, Max Payne etc) than there was anything of note for FPS. Until all TPS turned into brainless cover shooters come Gears of War anyway.
FPS golden age was the 90s.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Hmm, I forgot the two The Suffering games, which you can play in third person perspective or first. Both are somewhat decent but nothing exceptional.

155867104.jpg

Then there's the more mediocre but perhaps worth a play if you're a shooter fan and have exhausted all other options:
Timesplitters: Future Perfect
That game lets you play as a sassy gingerbread man. If that's not what you're looking for out of gaming, I don't know what could satisfy your cold, hard heart.
timesplitters_future_perfect_gingerbreadman_by_octored77x-d7xk0zs.jpg

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I enjoyed HL2 up to the point where the "Pick up the can" sequence happens.

After that it was all pretty much meh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom