Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Retardo? Final Fantasy XIV, at least the soundtrack is enjoyable

final

• Total voters

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I'd play if it wasn't sub based.

Potentially an odd question, but what are some MMOs that have good solo experience?

I nearly bought Elder Scrolls Online just to have some crap I can run around in and hack and slash away without having to party up or any of that rubbish.
Star wars the old Republic, vanilla, was very fun for the class stories and cinematic presentation.

Wow keeps having the best quest design in the market. Legion is especially good in that regard.

Elder Scrolls is right now, with the one tamriel update, all soloable except for dungeons, even Craglorn.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Play with me anus :(

(this phrase has a totally different meaning if you're a pirate)

I'd love to. But which game?

I'd play if it wasn't sub based.

Potentially an odd question, but what are some MMOs that have good solo experience?

I nearly bought Elder Scrolls Online just to have some crap I can run around in and hack and slash away without having to party up or any of that rubbish.
Star wars the old Republic, vanilla, was very fun for the class stories and cinematic presentation.

Wow keeps having the best quest design in the market. Legion is especially good in that regard.

Elder Scrolls is right now, with the one tamriel update, all soloable except for dungeons, even Craglorn.

Thanks for the info. Gonna :d1p: (well, its a bit late but still) ESO when I have the time. :hug:

Stokowski

Arcane
They're also dropping the PS3 support of the game so maybe that'll give the designers more freedom to do shit.

Isn't this something of a big deal, or have the majority of the Japanese market upgraded to a PS4 already?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
They're also dropping the PS3 support of the game so maybe that'll give the designers more freedom to do shit.

Isn't this something of a big deal, or have the majority of the Japanese market upgraded to a PS4 already?

I think the amount of people playing this game on a PS3 were a minority. The game ran like dogshit on it, especially during raids, so people playing the game on a PS3 were a liability for the rest of the group. Ditching the PS3 support was the best thing to do because it was just holding the devs back in every way. Of course there's still the PS4, but it's not as bad as the PS3 was.

Whew. All this talk about FF14 made me resub back to the game. Now to figure out wtf my binds are and how to play the damn game again.

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Next expansion will be called Stormblood and it's coming out in early summer 2017.

Fuck my fucking life...

Started this one 2 months ago thanks to my GFs MMORPG hunger, I'm kinda enjoying dungeon and trail content. I was thinking to convince her to leave the game 2 months later after we finish Heavensward content.
And not this happens!!!!! Thanks Square Enix...

Kem0sabe

Arcane
They should be much more ambitious with their expansions, all this empire is evil, fight the emperors generals shit is getting old.

I think this is a problem with Japanese devs in general, they tend to play it very safe.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
There's been almost none of that in Heavensward though. This whole expansion stepped away from the 3 factions and their struggle against the Empire as the Warrior of Light was cast out in exile from Ala Mhigo after a hostile takeover of the government and was forced to flee to Ishgard, which was a relatively unkown place the time since it was closed off from anyone who wasn't a snow elf from that region. And the only way the Warrior of Light was able to get in there was because a relatively low key quest NPC from the base game (who became a major plot character in the expansion) vouched for the WoL to be taken in as an honorary member of the noble house that he belonged to. The whole setup was pretty amazing. It makes sense to come back to Ala Mhigo now and deal with the new government after there's been enough time for a resistance to form against the Syndicate. I think it's a very measured transition that makes sense plot wise, which doesn't really happen in MMOs.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
There's been almost none of that in Heavensward though. This whole expansion stepped away from the 3 factions and their struggle against the Empire as the Warrior of Light was cast out in exile from Ala Mhigo after a hostile takeover of the government and was forced to flee to Ishgard, which was a relatively unkown place the time since it was closed off from anyone who wasn't a snow elf from that region. And the only way the Warrior of Light was able to get in there was because a relatively low key quest NPC from the base game (who became a major plot character in the expansion) vouched for the WoL to be taken in as an honorary member of the noble house that he belonged to. The whole setup was pretty amazing. It makes sense to come back to Ala Mhigo now and deal with the new government after there's been enough time for a resistance to form against the Syndicate. I think it's a very measured transition that makes sense plot wise, which doesn't really happen in MMOs.
You still fight the empire in heavensward tho, they are heavily involved in the dumbfuckery going on amidst the clouds.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
You still fight the empire in heavensward tho, they are heavily involved in the dumbfuckery going on amidst the clouds.

It's been well over a year since I played the Heavensward main campaign content, but I don't recall the empire being a part of it at all. It was you vs the Ishgardian religious dogma and their holy rulers.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
It's been well over a year since I played the Heavensward main campaign content, but I don't recall the empire being a part of it at all. It was you vs the Ishgardian religious dogma and their holy rulers.
During the events of "Heavensward", Varis and Regula Van Hydrus traveled to the Sea of Clouds in pursuit of Archbishop Thordan VII, believing he had the key to reaching of Azys Lla. At that time, the Vundu tribe of Vanu Vanu had summoned a fearsome primal, Bismarck, which began devouring aether rich floating islands (including the one with the key). Unable or unwilling to distinguish the Vundu from less hostile tribes, the VIth Legion invaded Ok'Zundu and prepared to exterminate them as an extreme measure to deter primal summoning. At the village, Varis himself personally met the Warrior of Light and Alphinaud Leveilleur. The Garleans backed off due to the sudden intervention of Lucia goe Junius, especially now that Thordan had stolen the key with the aid of Ascians.

After Cid managed to break through the barrier surrounding Azys Lla, the new super-dreadnaught, Gration suddeenly ambushed them. A last-ditch assault by Ysayle, in the form of the primal Shiva, froze the ceruleum engines of the great dreadnaught, forcing it to remain moored at the Garlean outpost in the Gamma Quadrant, where the imperials set up an outpost. Regula van Hydrus sought to reach the Aetherochemical Research Facility, hoping to learn how the Allagans bound the ancient Warring Triad on behalf of the Emperor.

These efforts were continually thwarted by the Scions, and Regula clashed with the Warrior of Light on three separate occasions, each time forced to withdraw.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
During the events of "Heavensward", Varis and Regula Van Hydrus traveled to the Sea of Clouds in pursuit of Archbishop Thordan VII, believing he had the key to reaching of Azys Lla. At that time, the Vundu tribe of Vanu Vanu had summoned a fearsome primal, Bismarck, which began devouring aether rich floating islands (including the one with the key). Unable or unwilling to distinguish the Vundu from less hostile tribes, the VIth Legion invaded Ok'Zundu and prepared to exterminate them as an extreme measure to deter primal summoning. At the village, Varis himself personally met the Warrior of Light and Alphinaud Leveilleur. The Garleans backed off due to the sudden intervention of Lucia goe Junius, especially now that Thordan had stolen the key with the aid of Ascians.

After Cid managed to break through the barrier surrounding Azys Lla, the new super-dreadnaught, Gration suddeenly ambushed them. A last-ditch assault by Ysayle, in the form of the primal Shiva, froze the ceruleum engines of the great dreadnaught, forcing it to remain moored at the Garlean outpost in the Gamma Quadrant, where the imperials set up an outpost. Regula van Hydrus sought to reach the Aetherochemical Research Facility, hoping to learn how the Allagans bound the ancient Warring Triad on behalf of the Emperor.

These efforts were continually thwarted by the Scions, and Regula clashed with the Warrior of Light on three separate occasions, each time forced to withdraw.

Yeah, I had forgotten about that, but now reading this I remember that the Garleans had a presence there. I also remember thinking that their presence felt superficial at best and only done to remind the player of their existence.

Edit:
Pov13Di.jpg

And while we're whoring our characters, I just finished my ilvl 200 set. Still 2 ilvl's away from being able to do level 60 roulettes again though. Why'd they go and raise the cap. :argh:

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm amazed how creative and fun some boss fights are in this game compare to other MMORPGs. And we haven't seen any Heavensward content yet.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Had to farm King Moogle EX for a whole day to get the Ninja weapon, just because. Good lord, man. At least I never got tired of the faux Tim Burtonian theme of that fight.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I unlocked The Palace of the Dead and have been running it a few time now. It's kinda fun, actually. It's a RNG dungeon with 50 floors maximum (each floor takes roughly 1-2 minutes). Each time you restart from the 1st floor you go back to level 1, but you level up at the speed of light here. You don't get to keep your XP, but you get a percentage of XP for every 10 floors. XP wise it's less efficient at low levels, but it's quite good when you're level 50+. The gear you have equipped when you enter only affects your looks as you have seperate Aether gear that levels up within the dungeon a you open up chests. Once they get high enough in levels you can trade them for real gear outside of the dungeon. It's really good gear too. An easy way of getting ilvl 235 weapons, for example. The best part is that instead of using the usual 1 tank, 1 healer, 2 DPS party dynamic the parties are completely random. Could be 4 healers, 4 tanks, 4 DPS, whatever. So that means that ques are instant with DPS as well. Or you can do it solo.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Anyone who has played this game that has almost zero chardev and requires centuries of grinding for the very minor chardev-lite choices it does have and thinks this game is anything but shit for shitheads should be shot for devolving the human race into a pre-monkey state.

Hyperion

Arcane
Fat chance, but if they dropped the strict story quest requirements to access anything and everything it would be far and away the best MMO on the market to casually play and shoot the shit with the bros, since it's fairly easy, but the cutting edge content can be a decent enough challenge. Hopefully with the skill system overhaul they do something to help make each class feel a bit more unique.

Hobo Elf When they first announced PotD it sounded interesting and a lot of fun. From your limited experience so far, will it get boring pretty quickly, or does it have some lasting appeal?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Hyperion I'm not bored of PotD yet, although I wish it had more RNG elements, like a pool of randomly picked monsters and bosses instead of static placement based on floor #. There is always the risk of dying and losing all the progression you made and XP you were going to get so that at least brings some layer of excitement. Yesterday I had to solo the last boss because of the shit party I was with and I was damned if I was going to let that progress go to waste. 3.45 is released tomorrow and they're adding another 200 floors so we'll see what happens with that. The first 100 floors are part of the PotD story line and the other 150 after that are for challenge. Time to make a Palace of the Dead static!

Also what I assume to be next tier of PotD weapons:

714a9ef5e750d75e025506331c4a7d0c44ee8335_0.png

Last edited:

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
the strict story quest requirements
Yeah, this is the worst. With all the increased xp gains and bonuses I have lvl 41 and 47 classes but I'm still only at lvl 34 story quests. And the early story content isn't that good either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom