Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Divinity: Original Sin the best cRPG from the "new wave"?

Is Divinity: Original Sin the best cRPG from the "new wave"?

• Total voters
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Shadowrun Dragonfall is.

If you define "best" as:

(a) the most enjoyed
(b) with the least amount of frustration
(c) by the greatest number of people

Then SRDF is probably the best new wave game.

If depth becomes a factor (as it does in any critical appraisal) then the Shadowrun games all get shunted to the RPG equivalent of pop music.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Are you for real?! 71 people here think that this mediocre shit is the best of the new games.....fuck off faggots and go drink some acid!!! Or better yet get a good taste in rpgs!

gaussgunner

Arcane
Are you for real?! 71 people here think that this mediocre shit is the best of the new games.....fuck off faggots and go drink some acid!!! Or better yet get a good taste in rpgs!

And 73 think not. The ratio has been trending negative since I first posted in this thread. This week the majority flipped from Yes to No. :incline:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Rasczak-Roughneck Here are some WL2 threads that predate the aforementioned drama (beta thread, release thread, discussion, discussion, discussion, review, tied for 4th in 2014 goty vote). WL2 also placed 24th in the 5-year retrospective.

It was once more popular, but that isn't really relevant now; opinions of WL2 dropped suddenly following InXile's shitty treatment of the Codex.

Doesnt that kinda speak for the game itself? Game was good before butthurt, now suddently it isnt anymore. Speaks volumes for the integrity of some users opinions.

I mean i dont want to dismiss personal experience surrounding the development of a game or the behaviour of the developing company flowing into the ability to enjoy such game, but to outsiders it kinda is irrelevant how much of a meanie Fargo was to the codex or how long people did have to wait for the delayed release.

Such experiences can easily sour the mood, but they are inherently subjective and you can shield yourself from having those pretty easily. It is why i try to stay away from beta backer keys, development blogs and such things. I read the occasional interview when im bored but i dont invest emotionally.

Unless its Piranha Bytes. Those assholes got me under their spell.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i think the D:OS games are unintuitive badly designed horribly boring RPGs with one of the most basic and boring applications of turn-based combat i've seen in years.

the games barely feature character attribute development systems, the most fundamental building block for an RPG.

edit: as an aside I also find the day-glo aesthetics incredibly bad and downright off-putting, enough so to make one not want to play them based purely on a visual stand point.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
and for the record, if this "new wave" = kickstarter, then obviously it is shadowrun: dragonfall. anyone who disagrees is wrong!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

And 73 think not. The ratio has been trending negative since I first posted in this thread. This week the majority flipped from Yes to No. :incline:
Still there is 71 millennials with a bad taste here.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
After playing the nu-Shadowruns more seriously, I can also say that they are the best of the first-wave Kickstarted RPGs. They are more enjoyable as a whole, while all the others do 1 thing well and everything else is so shit and nonsensical that it ruins the whole experience. Yeah, the nu-SRs aren't great, but none of these games are and, like I mentioned previously, we are working with very low-hanging fruits.

TC Jr

Scholar
I only played the Hong Kong one I think it was, thought it was shite (linear, which is fine but the story/characters seemed garbage), and combat ok).
Is it worth trying the other ones? I always see people on this rave about them so I don't know if they're any different to the Hong Kong one.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Which would you say would be the best, then?
Just keep on earning those tags.
Did you really voted yes mate? You can't seriously think that this is the best rpg past 5-10 years.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Did you really voted yes mate? You can't seriously think that this is the best rpg past 5-10 years.
The past 5-10 years? 5, maybe, but 10? Doubtful, but I cannot for the life of me think of that many that would be much better. I also don't remember what I voted, honestly. I could've voted "no" because I felt that D:OS1 was a better release overall, but when push comes to shove and I'd have to pick, I think I'd still go with D:OS2 over it, even though some things got a lot, a lot worse.

It's been a shitty decade.

That said, when we're talking about the "new wave" of CRPG:s, I'm thinking of the Kickstarter/crowdfunded bunch, which has only really been going on for a couple of years; Pillars of Eternity was only released in March 2015. Shadowrun Returns was July 2013, but it was fucking awful, and Dragonfall (2014) was an improvement, but I wouldn't say the series actually turned good until Hong Kong. Wasteland 2 was shit, and got objectively worse with it's Definitive Consolization release, and Tides of Numenera was a fucking travesty, an abject abomination that should never have been published. D:OS2 might have issues, but it's slim pickin's in this field of ours.

TC Jr

Scholar
The only two that compete are AoD and Underrail, as good as all three are, they're just good for this day and age, it's a shitty lineup to choose from which means no wrong answers :incloosive:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The past 5-10 years? 5, maybe, but 10? Doubtful, but I cannot for the life of me think of that many that would be much better. I also don't remember what I voted, honestly. I could've voted "no" because I felt that D:OS1 was a better release overall, but when push comes to shove and I'd have to pick, I think I'd still go with D:OS2 over it, even though some things got a lot, a lot worse.

It's been a shitty decade.

That said, when we're talking about the "new wave" of CRPG:s, I'm thinking of the Kickstarter/crowdfunded bunch, which has only really been going on for a couple of years; Pillars of Eternity was only released in March 2015. Shadowrun Returns was July 2013, but it was fucking awful, and Dragonfall (2014) was an improvement, but I wouldn't say the series actually turned good until Hong Kong. Wasteland 2 was shit, and got objectively worse with it's Definitive Consolization release, and Tides of Numenera was a fucking travesty, an abject abomination that should never have been published. D:OS2 might have issues, but it's slim pickin's in this field of ours.
Both DOS games are good/mediocre but hardly can be called the best of the decade.Shadow run Dragonfall and HK are far superiour games,also there was the serpent in the staglands,Underrail is a great game with shit merchants and slow movement,Grimoire came out,a few spiderweb games,Spider's Technomancer and quite a few good atcion rpgs. There was also a lot of small indie gems here and there. PoE came out and it is a better game than DOS. Also new vegas was a definite incline. There was a decent amount of good games past decade.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Pre-drama impressions provide a more accurate representation of the game's reception based on its merits or lack thereof. Inxile's treatment of the Codex was inexcusable, but it has no bearing whatsoever on the actual product itself which was released years beforehand.
Doesnt that kinda speak for the game itself? Game was good before butthurt, now suddently it isnt anymore. Speaks volumes for the integrity of some users opinions.

Rasczak-Roughneck was asking about the Codex's opinion of the game, not some sort of complicated measurement of the true, unweighted, unbiased opinion, though to be fair, their post didn't give much in the way of explanation about their intentions. Additionally, it could be argued that WL2 was eagerly taken up by people desperate for something to play that wasn't AAA, the same thing they'd played a bunch of times, or niche indie products, and the InXile drama let people reevaluate the situation and give a more honest appraisal of the situation.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
When I say new wave I'm refering to all the cRPGs financed through kickstarter
hardly can be called the best of the decade
Morons can't read the OP itt. No one is saying DOS2 is the best of the decade, or better than other non-Kickstarter games like AoD.

Then there are still miles better games, such as PoE and Shadowrun.
DoS did only 1 thing really well: the combat engine. Okay, the interactivity and the small details were also a nice touch, and graphics were pleasing to the eye. Cooperation aspect was a nice bonus for the people who care about that, I suppose.

But on the other hand itemization was utter shit and so was character development and balancing. And those things, the character development, growth, I consider quite essential in cRPGs. Plus the setting, atmosphere, story was simply... counter immersive. Rubbed me the wrong way... think it's the first game I've played that actively annoyed me with it's style.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
DoS did only 1 thing really well: the combat engine. Okay, the interactivity and the small details were also a nice touch, and graphics were pleasing to the eye. Cooperation aspect was a nice bonus for the people who care about that, I suppose.

But on the other hand itemization was utter shit and so was character development and balancing. And those things, the character development, growth, I consider quite essential in cRPGs. Plus the setting, atmosphere, story was simply... counter immersive. Rubbed me the wrong way... think it's the first game I've played that actively annoyed me with it's style.
Hey guys, DOS2 has great combat, interactivity and co-op but it has shit items so PoE and Shadowrun are better!

No but really, if the story and atmosphere are the strengths of PoE and Shadowrun as you say, they are still weaker than the combat engine and interactivity of DOS2. DOS2 did some things very well, notably, fun gameplay, which y'know, I consider quite essential in games. And I say this as a storyfag.

Not only that, but Larian did some things other RPGs haven't done before. Innovation man, you know about that? Infusing the genre with new concepts and mechanics, pushing it to new horizons, rather than reskinning the same game with a different story like Obsidian, Bioware, Bethesda, etc. do. That counts a whole lot more than any almost-generic story with a slight twist #65564.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The problem is the novelty and fun factor of the combat fade very quickly in the face of everything else. Whatever you do seems pointless. Each design decision contradicts all the others, as opposed to complementing each other. It is a mess and whatever good combat it manages to squeeze out lasts only until the end of Cyseal, if that. The nu-SRs don't have this problem, they are mildly entertaining throughout and don't shit themselves at every corner. Is having such low standards good? No, but that's what we have to work with. If you want quality you go for AoD and UnderRail.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Hey guys, DOS2 has great combat, interactivity and co-op but it has shit items so PoE and Shadowrun are better!

No but really, if the story and atmosphere are the strengths of PoE and Shadowrun as you say, they are still weaker than the combat engine and interactivity of DOS2. DOS2 did some things very well, notably, fun gameplay, which y'know, I consider quite essential in games. And I say this as a storyfag.

Not only that, but Larian did some things other RPGs haven't done before. Innovation man, you know about that? Infusing the genre with new concepts and mechanics, pushing it to new horizons, rather than reskinning the same game with a different story like Obsidian, Bioware, Bethesda, etc. do. That counts a whole lot more than any almost-generic story with a slight twist #65564.

Note I wrote "combat engine" was done well, not that it has great combat. Like Lacrymas wrote, the novelty and wow-factor fade quickly in case of D:OS. An actual great cRPG combat system needs support from other systems, such as itemization and character development, which are severely lacking and unbalanced here. Sure, was fun the first few hours, but became way too easy and a drag quite quickly.

Doesn't help the pacing that you get access to 90% of the abilities almost from the get go (if you can afford them, but here the novel... creativity helps a lot).

Last edited:

Ausdoerrt

Augur
@OP: Yes. Yes, it is.
@Haters: Bite me :P

P.S. Lacrymas is hating on Larian in every thread like it's an obsession os something :roll:

Ismaul said:
Morons can't read the OP itt. No one is saying DOS2 is the best of the decade, or better than other non-Kickstarter games like AoD.
Yeah, about reading. I think the OP was talking about DOS1...

Unfortunately 15 hours you played are where D:OS peaks. First map is great, second map is mediocre, and everything after that is a trainwreck.
It did get a bit better in the EE edition.

Lacrymas

Arcane
They deserve hate because they made the same mistakes with the sequel and introduced new ones in the process.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

PoE and Shadowrun are light years ahead of the D:OS. Saying that DOS is better because it have that sparkly combat system where you can't see anyone because everything is on fire covered in poison and in a electric could while frozen....is just amazing. Like saying Fallout4 is better rpg than ELEX because you can shoot better...

gaussgunner

Arcane
PoE with either Shadowrun's or DOS's combat system would be pretty good.

PoE has the best story and C&C (not that great though, and it's slow, and RTwP sucks ass)
Shadowrun has the best combat and least bullshit (linear as hell though)
DOS has the best open world and good combat (but the rest is banal shit boring)
WL2, I haven't played it, looks too much like PoE

P.S. People saying PoE 3.0 with TWM (now sold as the "Definitive Edition") is much better, but why would I buy the TWM expansion if I hated the base game? That's retardo marketing. Too little too late. I'm sure the RTwP still sucks anyway.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom