Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Is Deus Ex an RPG?

Saduj

Arcane
When it came out, I bought and played Deus Ex looking to play a FPS. Nothing about the game made me think "RPG" while I was playing it.

I had no idea people considered it an RPG until I registered here.

DraQ

Arcane
What Doesn't Make Deus Ex an RPG:

Lack of Proper Character Creation and Weak Character Development

You can't create your own character, you are always JC Denton, all customizing options available for you summarize in just choosing the skin color of JC!
No armors, helmets and boots, only items you can equip are weapons.
Is PS:T an RPG?
:M

Lack of RNG
Bullshitz. There is plenty of RNG. Every time yo squeeze the trigger the bullet lands in *randomly* selected spot within the reticle. That's RNG and it decides whether you hit or miss too.

The only thing that can possibly cast doubt on DX being an RPG is that its skill system is exclusive to the player character.
I have frequently voiced an opinion, that true RPG must try to be symmetrical and use common stat framework to describe characters in a PC-agnostic fashion.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
^ What that really describes is a good system. But a TRVE RPG definition that excludes D&D is p. funny

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
But what is an RPG?
advanced_dungeons_and_dragons_dd_players_handbook_2nd_edition.jpg

Although many grognards would disagree about 2nd edition AD&D being a "true" RPG.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I wanted to make a thread on "what is an RPG" one of these days, so may as well hijack this one.

We should make a list of videogames that definitely classify as RPGs, and see what makes them different to the rest.

Shin

Cipher
The real question is... are action RPG's really RPG's? I always argue they're not really part of the genre, despite the name.
There's all sorts of tryhards on these forums that think the same way so they can pretend they're monocled for having deteriorated reflexes and coordination.

All CRPGs are hybrids, if it's hybrid with action, cyoa, strategy, urmum or any combination is another story.

Oh, I don't mind action games at all. But the overall experience (and target demographics) of action RPG's are often so different from the other RPG subgenres that I like to differentiate between the two.

pippin

They are free to market the game however they please. To me, it still isn't an RPG. It's a game that allows you to make some choices, but I don't consider those choices to be roleplaying.

RPGs aren't about larping.
You can roleplay as a gung ho gunsman, a sneaky bastard, etc. You ca do whatever you want because you have a system which supports it. And that system is built using the logics of rpgs.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
You role-play the role of JC Denton, but the game is more action focused that, say Bloodlines in real role playing.

I'm starting to think any game that forces you into a set protagonist with a name and defined background isn't a real RPG.

Deus Ex and The Witcher come to mind. They aren't real RPGs. They just have RPG elements.

Neki

Scholar
I'm starting to think any game that forces you into a set protagonist with a name and defined background isn't a real RPG.

RPGs aren't about larping.
You can roleplay as a gung ho gunsman, a sneaky bastard, etc. You can do whatever you want because you have a system which supports it. And that system is built using the logics of rpgs.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You role-play the role of JC Denton, but the game is more action focused that, say Bloodlines in real role playing.

Deus Ex and The Witcher come to mind. They aren't real RPGs. They just have RPG elements.
For that definition, PS:T isn't a real rpg.

Anyways, I was just jesting with earlier posts, if it was not obvious - I have no burning desire or interest to draw a demarcation line between rpgs and non-rpgs.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
Well it has all the hallmarks of a classic RPG, with some shotty elements mixed into it. The first Deus Ex was the only, real RPG in the series, in my opinion. Invisible War was a mistake and HR, while being a great game, didn't felt like a true RPG to me.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
PS:T isn't a real rpg.

You start the game without knowing so much background and even without the name :shittydog:

Exactly.

I could extend my definition of RPG further while encompassing my previous point: a game that, through your actions, allows you to develop an unique personality that is recognized by the game world and affects how you interact with it.

Based on this:

- Deus Ex isn't an RPG.
- Final Fantasy games aren't RPGs.
- Skyrim isn't an RPG.
- The Witcher isn't an RPG.
- ULTIMA 1 isn't an RPG.

- Baldur's Gate is an RPG.
- Fallout is an RPG. Fallout 3 and 4 are just really poor RPGs.
- Morrowind is an RPG, but again, one that is very shallow in how you develop a personality.
- Planescape: Torment is an RPG.

I think I'm getting close to something.

Last edited:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
What Doesn't Make Deus Ex an RPG:

Lack of Proper Character Creation and Weak Character Development

You can't create your own character, you are always JC Denton, all customizing options available for you summarize in just choosing the skin color of JC!
No armors, helmets and boots, only items you can equip are weapons.

Lack of RNG

How many RPGs are out there without having random number generator being implanted within them?
JC Denton is just a codename, you can choose your "real" name at the start. There's also a number of skill points to spend (or unspend — you can drop the pistol skill to Untrained) before you start the game. And also, like DraQ said, the game does feature a random number generator.

When it came out, I bought and played Deus Ex looking to play a FPS. Nothing about the game made me think "RPG" while I was playing it.
When Deus Ex came out, I never thought of it as an FPS because it played differently from every FPS I had ever played.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
this thread is embarrassing to read...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom