Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Is Deadfire better than PoE?

which is better?

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
White March encounters still suck badly when compared to Deadfire. They were only a minor improvement over the base game.

As for itemization, it's also better. Not only are the base effects on weapons and armor cooler, but every unique piece of equipment has several unique craftable upgrades. They also made potions and scrolls more impactful, and added new items like grenades, poisons, and drugs.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Nice editing of "stronger" to "cooler". Even you realise that most of effects on equipment in Deadfire are more cosmetic than really affect anything.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
That's a lie. I never edited stronger to cooler.

Also that's bullshit. There are so many ridiculously broken enchantments even after the nerfs. It's the main reason the game was too easy at release.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
I saw what you really did, it was sexier before it was cooler.

The weapons are sexier though

Poe2_torch_skull_icon.png
70px-Poe2_flail_skullcrusher_icon.png
70px-Poe2_pistol_ecceas_arcane_blaster_icon.png
70px-Poe2_rod_amiraswing_icon.png
70px-Poe2_sceptre_skull_01_icon.png
70px-Poe2_sword_kapana_taga_icon.png
70px-Poe2_stiletto_01_icon.png
70px-Poe2_sabre_aldis_icon.png
70px-Poe2_pollaxe_wahai-poraga_icon.png
70px-Poe2_mace_gulfaryc_icon.png
70px-Poe2_arquebus_blightheart_icon.png
70px-Poe2_battle_axe_obsidian_icon.png
70px-Poe2_great_sword_sanguine_icon.png
70px-Poe2_war_hammer_last_word_icon.png
70px-Poe2_wand_01_icon.png
70px-Poe2_war_bow_veilpiercer_icon.png

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They also made potions and scrolls more impactful, and added new items like grenades, poisons, and drugs.
And you do not need any of them, except maybe for the very last fight - at least that was the only one I found mildly challenging (I had to restart it once).
Even on Hard, most fights do not even require your interaction as the default AI is good enough and potd is barely better.

At least PoE 1 had a handful of interesting encounters. In PoE 2 I was just breezing through the entire game on auto pilot.
Which also makes the items and how you upgrade them mostly irrelevant, as long as you have something that is at least "Excellent" by the end.

And the companions are just boring - or annoying. PoE 1 had some interesting characters, but the most interesting ones of those aren't in PoE 2 and those that are now just have a pretty damn boring quest/story attached to them as their most interesting stories have already been told in the first part.
All the new companions range somewhere between SJW template and fan fiction.

The character system and leveling up I found much better in PoE 2. Way more possibilities that make sense - too bad they share the same fate as the items...

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
PoE 2 has slightly better gameplay and slightly worse writing than 1, which was mediocre to begin with.
The only real highlight of the franchise were some of the companions from one.
The companions are far worse in 2. Eder, Aloth and Pallegina in particular are jarring since they appeared in the first one and were better written there.
Bottom line, Obsidian is shit now.
What's that line?
You either die a Troika, or live long enough to see yourself become an Obsidian.
Sounds about right.

Zibniyat

Arcane
I played POE 1.0 and gave it a 3/5. Couldn't bring myself to play the expansions or latter versions. In fact, I've been thinking recently how absolutely forgettable everything is in POE, including the overly-edgy Durance religious troll. It's like everything in that game is a weak caricature of stuff done far better in other (older, much older) games. Maybe 3/5 was a bit too high...

Or maybe I just don't like games anymore? I'm not playing RPGs just so I could play pompous turn-based strategy games, I actually do care about the plot, world-building, branching quests, intelligent characters etc. You know, "immersive" stuff that make me envision a different world :(

And based on replies here, it seems POE II is even worse? I can't bring myself to play anything mediocre anymore, I've got stuff to do (and even if not), and bloody hell am I disappointed in the entire interactive medium form of entertainment/industry. I thought as I grow older so would games grow to be more complex, better, more "serious" but also satisfying to play, instead today's games seem more retarded than actual children's games from the early 2000s.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Or maybe I just don't like games anymore? I'm not playing RPGs just so I could play pompous turn-based strategy games, I actually do care about the plot, world-building, branching quests, intelligent characters etc. You know, "immersive" stuff that make me envision a different world :(
Have you played UnderRail yet?

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nope, I guess I could give it a try...
You're fucking missing out than. World-building, branching quests, and intelligent characters are some of the things that UnderRail does best, as well as an amazing combat system. It's my second favorite game of all time (PS:T the goat), and is the only game after the early 2000s on my list. The new expansion is coming out in 2019 as well which will be fucking amazing too. Play it asap, I guarantee you won't be questioning whether or not you like games.

M. AQVILA

Arcane
I really didn't like UnderRail, way too boring. I dropped it only after a few hours.

Edit: It might be my distaste for the genre though. I've also heard that the beginning is kind of slow/bad but it picks up in the later parts of the game.

Last edited:

Barabus

Savant
Patron
I think it’s a lot better. First of all the loading times are a touch better. I like how the world is way more open and you can go anywhere on your ship. The environments are very nice, some great dungeons to explore just wished there were more. I didn’t care too much for the companions other than Aloth and Eder. Their quest lines were horrible though, totally lacking. I played on normal and didn’t have a tough time at all it was a pretty easy game. The only enemy that gave me trouble were the famps.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom