Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is BT4's funding level a disappointment for inXile?

Wizfall

Cipher
BT4 is not doing better because the pitch was very weak for old school gamers and the game being harder to sell to "large" public.
Has nothing to do with kickstarter.
I'm myself a big blobber fan, or rather Wizardry fan, and i just not excited by the game because 1) i don't have a clear vision of what the game is going to be 2)the feelling i get is InXile doesn't know either or at least want to change lot of things to the formula.
It may even be not a blobber at all except for the "exploration view".

For W2 and Tormnet Kickstarter, even if lot of things were still unknown, the kind of game they wanted to made were very clear (now the quality of the final product is something else) and the core audience possibly bigger.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
For W2 and Tormnet Kickstarter, even if lot of things were still unknown, the kind of game they wanted to made were very clear (now the quality of the final product is something else) and the core audience possibly bigger.

Ya, that's a good point. People had different opinions about the details oft WL2 and Torment, but just about everybody agreed on what the general focus should be. For Bard it seems like the just about everything is up to debate and might still change.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Funny that people were making this very same claim about Torment during its Kickstarter, saying it was unclear compared to Pillars of Eternity.

Klarion

Arcane
they have five backers for 10,000 $ pledges right now, which is amazing. Easy money, those very high pledges.

1.25 mil in like 10-15 days for a TB blobber in 2015 and we call this a "disappointment"?
Come on people, be real
This. Niggaz be dreamin about lots of cheeze like this be some kinda Baldur's Gate 3. Wake up homiez!

Last edited:

Apexeon

Arcane
Why is this a failure?
They have there target so get to work (yes all you slave artists on Unreal man).

Kick preorder has succeeded to pull in the target of 1.25 million to make this "unreal" art heavy blobber.
The engine choice and art style screams "me too main stream".
Or are they worried that they will have to downgrade the art for the target group on the consoles after the PC crew beta tests?.

Apexeon

Arcane
On a sidenote... the kickstarter is certainly not a disappointment. In contrary, the kickstarter is even more a NON-disappointment because:

1) meaningless kickstarter pitch
2) the game being a niche of a niche
3) people still don't know shit about the game
4) despite they pledged over one million
5) only boring stretchgoals
6) developers hardly present in comments section

Now try that for your own kickstarter... and ask again if it's a disappointment. You'd be lucky to get 100$

I got $2000 :)

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
My god, they have a learning disability, they don't evolve with times, they want to get fucked over by publishers, over and over again. They fully deserve it too, now.

Actually, they get the feel of times quite right. Kickstarter, however cool it sounds, didn't really change anything in the industry.

What are you talking about? We went from having no dedicated AA RPG developers to having four: inXile, Obsidian, Larian, and Harebrained Schemes.

But generally speaking, I think any RPG outside these KickStarter Four is going to have a hard time reaching a million and any of the Kickstarter Four are going to have a tough time getting out of the 2-3 million zone.

Apexeon

Arcane
My god, they have a learning disability, they don't evolve with times, they want to get fucked over by publishers, over and over again. They fully deserve it too, now.

Actually, they get the feel of times quite right. Kickstarter, however cool it sounds, didn't really change anything in the industry.

What are you talking about? We went from having no dedicated AA RPG developers to having four: inXile, Obsidian, Larian, and Harebrained Schemes.

But generally speaking, I think any RPG outside these KickStarter Four is going to have a hard time reaching a million and any of the Kickstarter Four are going to have a tough time getting out of the 2-3 million zone.

Yeap. At least something happened.
We have a pulse.

But most of the hard core RPG indies have to work with budgets that are 20K-80K ish.
Which is like building a car inside a pay phone box.

Have we had a hard core rpg indie team break the 100K on kickstarter yet?

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected

I believe no. They just don't come up with concepts interesting enough. Instead they come up with concepts that try too hard to be "indie" and therefore fail :roll:

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The ones that could (Stygian Software, Iron Tower, Jeff Vogel) are determined not to.

A few are debatable though, like Hero-U. Or the Banner Saga.

Weasel

Can't think of one. The smaller-scale ones that come to mind like Expeditions or Dungeons of Aledorn raised $77k and $61k respectively.

Although Guido did hit over $200k for Deathfire, he just asked for much more :M

almondblight

Arcane

In addition to the aforementioned Dead State, Starcrawlers (indie blobber) did just over $100k. If Barkley 2 or Cosmic Star Heroine count, they both did over $100k.

What's also interesting are RPGs like Star Traders 2, which didn't seem to get much press (I didn't see it get any press, but I don't frequent many game sites) yet still managed to pull $60k.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
I don't think it's going well. I don't see how 20-30 people can do a blobber in Unreal Engine for 2,5m. That's like 1-1,5 years of development.
Producing even a short game in that timeframe will be tricky - especially with hyped up "in engine" footage...

I also would not take some indie kickstaters (50-100k) seriously. That's what Pope meant - they are asking for much less and are investing their time for free.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, it'll be more than 2.5. And also the team might end up not being that big - maybe they'll scale down and find something else for the other people to do. Torment expansions?

Kz3r0

Arcane
Well, it'll be more than 2.5. And also the team might end up not being that big - maybe they'll scale down and find something else for the other people to do. Torment expansions?
I doubt Fargo hires people before securing funding for a project.
The people at inXile now is busy making Torment, sincerely I don't know how many there are nor if some of them will be laid off, let's not forget however that Wasteland 2 got three million dollars, The Bard's Tale 4 is set to get at least two millions from Kickstarter, if Fargo is really ready to add one million and a quarter on his own that's about the budget Wasteland 2 got, with less risk of overhead.

Apexeon

Arcane

That would be a great idea. Torment is what people are voting for with there wallets.
Maybe just maybe the isometric art has something to do with this?

This below opened my wallet for Torment. Looks isometric and old school to me.
Patron of the Arts **** yes.

large_torment2.jpg

Imagine Gears of Torment the "third person cover based RPG".
We don't have too its here!

Patron of shitty plastic engines with games that all look like "recycled gears of war".
**** no.

jpg

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
You are also forgetting that they are for sure going to allow web support and Early Access and get more money that way.

Diablo169

Arcane
I'm more disappointed with how lackluster the campaign has been. I know E3 has caused them some issues, but at the end of the day they chose to launch at this time.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
What I don't understand is, that it's like they don't care about it. As if it were a black sheep. An unwanted child. A bastard son.
But hey - what are they doing?? It's Bards Tale 4! A classic reborn! It should be a flagship product!

Seeing that this campaign gets so little love from the developers themselves made me reduce my pledge. I won't bail out, but with a half-arsed campaign and questionable stretchgoals they can't expect people to throw money at them. And we can't blame that on E3.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
It should be a flagship product!
To be a flagship product it needs to be less niche. The age of blobbers is gone, and I honestly don't see how first-person camera is better for exploration in a modern party-based RPG. It's not a survival horror game and if you use third-person view in combat anyway, why not use it all the time?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom