Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline iOS and Android

Dim

Not sure if advertising plant?
King of Dragon Pass
edit: and tyrant ccg

Last edited:
Tried two LL's. Still no dice.

I'll look up TOI, and Shadow Sun, and Wandroid. Does anyone know about Coldfire Keep? Or Silversword?

zwanzig_zwoelf

Why the fuck would you want a Wizardry ripoff when you can emulate Wiz1-5 for PS1 and enjoy improved graphics and audio with the same gameplay as the original?

(Except it also has an automap feature.)

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
Tried two LL's. Still no dice.

I'll look up TOI, and Shadow Sun, and Wandroid. Does anyone know about Coldfire Keep? Or Silversword?

Silversword is supposed to be an homage/throwback/ripoff of "classic" RPGs a la Bard's Tale. I got it but the only i-thing I owned was a touch screen ipod and the controls absolutely wouldn't work for me at all.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I have Silversword. I haven't got to combat yet but it seems like a legit Bard's Tale clone. I had no trouble with the controls on my family's iPad or my iPhone 4.

I heard Coldfire Keep was ass though, stick to Undercroft if you want a party based RPG.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, since I spend too much time on my phone in school (paranoid that bringing a handheld would get it stolen), so here's what I would recommend/have on my phone right now/wishlisted, waiting for it to be free:

Ravenmark. FE-like strategy game but without the RPG elements. Combat revolves around putting troops in formations and using your turn order in your favor. Decent story.

9th Dawn. Action RPG a la Ultima. The graphics look like Ultima (and the world design has a mix of that and a typical MMO) but it plays like a top down shooter...if you used a slingshot. Shooting involves pulling the virtual stick backward as if it were a bow/slingshot. Mage/Ranger gameplay is best but the Warrior is viable.

Quest Gold. Well, obviously.

Kingdom Rush. Flash tower defense game but practically the only one that actually requires some strategy.

Dragon Quest 1-5. Annoyingly it's portrait only, but these are solid ports of the famous JRPG series. Also cheap by SE standards.

Shin Megami Tensei. You heard right, an English translation of the GBA port of SMT is on the iOS. It runs a bit slow in landscape on my iPhone 4, but anything above that is golden. iOS only(?)

Edge Ex. Great action puzzler, I got it for free but I don't know when.

Wayward Heroes. Action RPG roguelike thing. The combat is pretty good (even with virtual controls), and the dungeons aren't half bad. Feels a bit grindy though.

King of Dragon Pass. Again, mentioned, but it's so great I have to mention it again.

Any Cave Shooter on the iOS is pretty good. Decent entry-level bullet hells if you're into that sort of thing.

Heroes of Steel. Top down party-based RPG thing. Story is meh, and so are the graphics, but the gameplay is...decent. I haven't had a lot of time on this one so YMMV.

The Lords of Midnight. I never played this but just looking at it screams Codex-worthy.

The War of Eustrath. Again, never played it, but it's some Super Robot Wars style SRPG thing.

Battle for Wesnoth. That freeware strategy game. On Android it's free but for some reason you have to shill 4 bones for the iOS port. You can try it out on PC, I heard it was good.

Starbase Orion. 4X strategy game, haven't tried it but it has "Orion" in the title so it must at least be trying to be decent.

Some of these are on Android, but I haven't checked them all. I don't really care for emulation since my phone can't do it, and I don't feel like shelling out real dough for a decent controller. I would say only one or two of these games are above a 7/10, but I can tell you that they're decent time-wasters at the very least.

Now, I must wash this mobile filth away with some wholesome PC gaming.

...Stuff.

That was a helluva list. Yeah, I need time crunchers, basically. Though most of what I've found lacks sophistication and depth, even when compared told PC games.

As far as emulation, having trouble with my phone, it's a newer Motorola, and sufficient to play downloads. If I get the emul working, I'll give a few older games a spin.

As far as Illyria 1-2 and Shadow Sun, bought both.

I think I'll give Heroes of Steel a second try.

And stick to Undercroft (had to reformat my phone, so starting over.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom