Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Ion Fury (formerly Ion Maiden) - Build Engine powered FPS by Duke Nukem 3D mappers - now with Aftershock DLC

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
wow a boxed copy before the game is even out
you people are retards for buying this garbage up

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
So they have announced a boxed collector's edition for $100, unless you use GOG's code (GOG-B9BWBQ98NZ35) or already own it on steam, that is limited to 500 copies. I grabbed one since I like to support physical media where I can and this looks really good. I'm waiting for the whole thing to come out before playing anything though. Same with Dusk.

The current "preview campaign" is unique I believe, not the first two levels of the main game or anything. So there's no real reason to wait.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Also official announcement on delay and multiplayer beta:

3D Realms Brings Classic Multiplayer to Ion Maiden Early 2019

Ion Maiden, the old-school first-person shooter from 3D Realms and Voidpoint, introduces classic fast-paced multiplayer when it releases Early 2019 on Windows PC, Mac, and Linux. Those who purchased the game during Early Access will have access to a multiplayer beta closer to launch. A bad-ass limited edition big box is available for pre-order now.

While the developer and publisher hoped to have the game ready for Q3 this year, both teams want to make sure the blood-soaked guns-blazing shooter meets the same level of polish as other FPS classics from 3D Realms. As a gesture of goodwill, old-school multiplayer and big boxes are back, baby. Limited to only 500 units, each Ion Maiden’s Founder’s Edition runs for $99.99 (not including shipping) and will be individually numbered.

The most prized possession within harkens back to the past: the full game contained on a floppy disk with a retractable USB cable (no need to bring back that dusty floppy drive in the garage). This way Ion Maiden’s old-school aesthetic feels right at home.

The Founder’s Edition will also include:

● 6’’ Bombshell Figurine
Ion Maiden’s Original Soundtrack
Ion Maiden Mousepad
● Key Art Poster
● Bowling Bomb Stickers
● Lanyard
● 3 1:1 Scale Key Card Magnets
● A “Coming Soon from 3D Realms” Catalogue Highlighting Exciting Upcoming Projects

With only 500 copies in production, these won’t remain available for long. 3D Realms has prepared a pre-order page with a real-time counter denoting how many copies remain. Additional merch is available at the bottom of page. Anyone who purchased Ion Maidenvia Steam Early Access can buy this special edition at a 10% discount by going to 3D Realms’ store page.

Ion Maiden’s polished exclusive multi-hour preview campaign is available on Steam Early Access now in English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, and Russian for $19.99. The game launches fully Early 2019.

"We wanted Ion Maiden out as soon as possible, but it has to be the best it can be,” Frederik Schreiber, Vice President, 3D Realms. "But this extra time means we can make this awesome Big Box edition and add multiplayer at launch, so we hope players understand."

For more information please explore the official Ion Maiden website.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Delay announcement incoming?: https://steamcommunity.com/games/562860/announcements/detail/2698103696740691267

Next week!

a581f6081f02bbd1f0dff2a9f6410da48f4fbb8f.png

meh /10

pales in comparison to stuff like this:
du1.jpg

d8B6Efl.jpg

HKocTBp.jpg

Ash

Arcane
Sadly all show the same damn enemy types and weapons from the demo. Well, we can dual wield the SMGs, and there's maybe one additional enemy type shown, yet another bullet-using enemy type by the looks of things :negative:

Looking forward to playing it nonetheless. It's more old school FPS than pretty much anything else put out commercially these days. Well, aside from arena shooters but they were always poopie.

schru

Arcane
I understand that they're working with an existing engine, but as far as retro graphics go, I think choice should be made between no vertical look with sprites or vertical look and full three-D models. The Build engine combined the two in its 2.5-D only out of expediency, while the Doom engine still looks just fine if vertical aim isn't forced on it in a source port.

Ash

Arcane
Sprites are cool. Who gives a shit if they look awkward when viewed from a sharp angle? For that sole reason you'd like to remove verticle aiming and all that entails (no z axis auto aim, levels designed around vertical combat e.g rooms upon rooms, no secret switches on the cieling to shoot Quake 2 style, stuff like that). Yeah your "just use 3D models" suggestion would address that, but sprites look better in old engines in most cases. Whatever the case, I m happy with sprites looking awkward in some circumstances than going back to no full looking, auto aim on the z axis etc.

"People" who use vertical mouse aiming in Doom should be sent to the gulag.

Your reasoning? People that like to aim themselves without the game automatically doing it for them are sub-human? Makes no sense.

Last edited:

schru

Arcane
I'm definitely not suggesting that this game should give up on verticality just to avoid that problem. Just saying that I don't consider it something that should be brought back under the banner of retro graphics. I think models like those in the first Thief or Azrael's Tear still look perfectly nice on the other hand.

Ash

Arcane
Yeah I'd be fine with models too, but you literally said you think we should be going full Doom in this regard if we're having sprites. Nah, we're going full Build Engine!

schru

Arcane
Yes, that would be preferable in my opinion. I'm approaching this from the perspective of what in my view should and should not be brought back as part of a retro style.

Edit: to clarify further, I'm still happy that there's going to be a new game on the Build engine for all the other good things about it. Just wanted to remark that sprites in full three-D aren't a good retro æsthetic or such.

Last edited:

schru

Arcane
Wolfenstein 3D's manual already had mouse controls listed, and I think Doom's even encouraged people to try playing with a mouse. Though it might be that those games feel more appropriately challenging with just the keyboard controls. I did not really enjoy Dooms until I played them using a mouse, as I also initially thought they were supposed to be keyboard-only.

schru

Arcane
I do always play Build games with full mouse-look on. My point was about the questionable nature of bringing back 2.5-D or full 3-D + sprites as part of a retro style.

Ion Maiden coming to consoles in 2019! New screenshots! PAX South!

First things first - I want to address the lack of communication over the past few months. The team has been knee deep into development and I'm happy to announce that we're entering the final stretch!

Today, we have some very good news.
We're happy to announce that we've partnered with 1C Publishing.

In addition to the PC version, we're also happy to announce that Ion Maiden is going multi-platform! Xbox One, Playstation 4 and Nintendo Switch!
1C will co-publish Ion Maiden and bring a physical console copy of the game to retail worldwide.

We're getting very close and we have a lot of crazy cool things up our sleeves which we can't wait to share with you guys. (Pssssst.. PAX South!) We also have a final release window, which has been moved ahead a few months, to Q2, 2019

1C Entertainment is responsible for the popular RTS series Men of War, the fantasy tactical role-playing games King’s Bounty, and World War II flight simulator series IL-2 Sturmovik. Collaborating with 3D Realms promises to bring both teams’ creative powers together and deliver the high-quality content gamers know both companies for.

"Presenting games like Ion Maiden to all of 3D Realms' fans is our number one priority,"

said Mike Nielsen, CEO of 3D Realms.

"Partnering with 1C Entertainment means we can make our dedicated community happier by bringing Shelly to consoles."

"I was always a fan of the old-school classic FPS titles Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Max Payne and Shadow Warrior, so I am super thrilled to partner with a legendary studio such as 3D Realms,"

said Nikolay Baryshnikov, CEO of 1C Entertainment.

"As a global publisher, our goal is to bring top-quality titles to all the gamers around the world, and our cooperation with 3D Realms is a great addition to our portfolio. For me personally, it’s a kid’s dream come true."

d72c33f4542a7a55edf2c024ef6c9a448f468372.jpg

a94be79eebbb38a862e46db1ec0db9fedc18c302.jpg

PAX SOUTH 2019!

From January 18 - 20, we'll attend PAX South in San Antonio, where participants will we able to try a brand new level in Ion Maiden! Make sure to mark the date and come say hi to the team!

New Screenshots!
To celebrate the new collaboration and the console ports announcement, we've also released a new batch of screenshots! You can find them all below.

ENJOY!

5940dc2e76cc7b811b0d9d39ae600ec8b4e85361.png
bb84513eb8f620f9d4ad37d829690af45d08aa32.png
01f3011f2b7e2674eaf3c71653bb6f085b91a834.png
7c86181d56b5162af1c275685bc31dc1e5afa56c.png
5fd7c5d880bc223b6c0ae2c5da41311c98cfdc95.png
0e2b4076fda8740b24a6e1518bdc3a542d10931e.png

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
"I was always a fan of the old-school classic FPS titles Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Max Payne and Shadow Warrior, so...."

:lol:

That's what Todd Howard said about the Fallout franchise, and he was far from the last developer to use this endearment gambit.

Never trust anyone in business or development who makes a public statement claiming they were "a fan" of some beloved old franchise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom