Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Ion Fury (formerly Ion Maiden) - Build Engine powered FPS by Duke Nukem 3D mappers - now with Aftershock DLC

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
So we're all supposed to abandon interest in a build engine successor (build engine FPS being some of the greatest FPS of all time easily) and switch over to...a Descent 1 & 2 spiritual successor. No thanks. GTFO faggit.

Spiritual successor? Play the fucking demo. It's literally Descent, developed almost exclusively by original team members, rather than a bunch of Millennials with a couple of token name-drops thrown in for flavor.

This game on the other hand is very decidedly not literally Duke Nukem 3D. Bang on that butthurt rating key all you want, folks, but it simply isn't.

Meanwhile, the game is beset by SJW bullshit which is slowly but surely creeping its tendrils into the development team, as displayed in previous pages. Expect it to worsen as time wears on.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
The retard shills in this thread thread think that this shitty little clone game is singlehandedly saving the FPS genre. They're retards and I will cry tears from laughing too hard once they realize this game is never getting finished and they'll probably try to justify having 3 maps at the end.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The retard shills in this thread thread think that this shitty little clone game is singlehandedly saving the FPS genre. They're retards and I will cry tears from laughing too hard once they realize this game is never getting finished and they'll probably try to justify having 3 maps at the end.

Meanwhile, Overload 1.0 should be rolling around next month or the month after, and is mostly complete as-is in Early Access following two years of brisk and steady progress. The developers are working with GOG to get a GOG release.

See, Overload doesn't have the retard hype and name-dropping that Ion Maiden does, even though it's by far the superior game. The Codex is fucking PACKED with hypebeasts who crowd around whatever the gaming "media" is flogging. Get fucked, you miserable dipshits.

Ash

Arcane
Build FPS games = some of the best FPS around.
Descent 1 & 2 = good for what it is.

Personally, I have little interest in a Descent successor. Those games were never top-tier. 6 degrees of freedom in a spaceship doesn't translate as well as a gameplay concept. The Doom formula with Build evolution on the other hand...

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
They weren't good because of the engine, although a good engine is important. You're fixated on the wrong thing.

Anyway, enjoy your overhyped vaporware if and when it comes out.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Why is it so hard to just let people create their own art out of their own volition?
Because Ion Maiden is a game, (being) designed by a committee, which, as for right now, looks and plays like a somewhat more visually detailed and otherwise vastly inferior version of Eradicator (which isn't even all that much of a compliment, despite Eradicator having been and still being a fairly decent game). Why should I feel any reluctance in regard to potentially chipping in on a committee-designed product? Moreover, it's not like I have any way of actually making the developers to accept my proposition, for better or for worse.

Youre just a customer. Shut your little trap mouth.
You are being unnecessarily rude. If you continue that sort of verbal behavior in relation to me, you will be the first person here to grace my blacklist with your majestic presence. I am not afraid of you, and I am fairly confident in my ability to take you on. However, I don't currently think, that you are worth the time I would need in order to shut your WHORE mouth for good (as for that would actually require some thinking, in contrast with simply half-assedly typing the word WHORE, while thinking about something way more important for me than that). And I suggest you to seek someone other's attention if you don't have anything constructive to convey, which you frankly don't seem to.

P.S. "Derision" - you might want to use that word in order to characterize the style this post was written in, should you desire to do so.
fuck off faggot

Ash

Arcane
They weren't good because of the engine, although a good engine is important. You're fixated on the wrong thing.

That's not what I or anyone else was saying, don't be a dumbass. Of course they were good because of the design first and foremost. You hear "build shooters" a lot simply because it's a simple label to assign to and lump together Duke 3D, Blood and Shadow Warrior.
We're excited precisely because we are getting a game with similar design to the build shooters. Some things look a little off to me, but they're mostly all minor.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
We're excited precisely because we are getting a game with similar design to the build shooters.

Yeah, and I thought I was getting a game with design similar to Planescape: Torment. :troll:

We'll see.

Ash

Arcane
Where's this scepticism come from? Sure, it's 2018. Nearly everything is shit. And sure, some things are a little off with this game, but it shouldn't be any reason to scream absolute decline.

???

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't see how this is a controversial opinion. Blood was full of hitscan enemies and they never fixed the weird difficulty bug that made easier difficulties harder and harder difficulties easier. Shadow Warrior had obnoxious puzzle and platforming segments. Duke didn't have any of these crippling flaws.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Love how these retard shills just say "i-it's incline" and press the bad buttans when you say anything against Ion Maiden (PBUH). It's very sad, very gay.

Ash

Arcane
Shadow Warrior had obnoxious puzzle and platforming segments. Duke didn't have any of these crippling flaws.

I recall thoroughly enjoying Shadow Warrior's platforming and puzzle design.

I don't see how this is a controversial opinion. Blood was full of hitscan enemies and they never fixed the weird difficulty bug that made easier difficulties harder and harder difficulties easier.

All build games had one too many shitscan enemies (very mildly). I don't recall Blood having any more or less than the others. Hell, it was probably less than Duke 3D which had the Pigcops, Enforcers, Overlords and Pig Cop Tanks.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
All build games had one too many shitscan enemies. I don't recall Blood having any more or less than the others.
It was practically nothing but. I tried it not too long after Duke so I definitely had a point of reference.

Ash

Arcane
All that comes to mind is the cultists which are only common early game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
All that comes to mind is the cultists which are only common early game.
They were all throughout the first episode and then there they were again filling up the first level of the second and at that point I shut it off and never came back. What makes them particularly bad is how they start shooting you as soon as they see you, which is something I never noticed in Duke.

Ash

Arcane
Meh. No slight excess of hitscan enemies is gonna overshadow absolutely killer level design and multi-genre gameplay (combat, platforming, puzzles, exploration/navigation, resource management).

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Do you have any info if we're able to keep our equipment between these "episodes"? They sound really short so it would be annoying getting frequently robbed. Yet if the episodes are designed and balanced around revolver start that'd also suck.
I didn't ask but I would assume they would be balanced around revolver start if the preview is anything to go by. That's also probably why they want to have so many secrets. In the finished game there will be a lot more weapons than in the preview so they'll spread them out through those.

Ash

Arcane
So you go full autist collecting 33 secrets per level...only to have all your shit (that you no doubt won't even close to need anyway, because that's way too many secrets) robbed within an hour and thus making heavy exploration and resource management redundant medium and long-term.

rating_shit.png

But I guess we'll see, as nothing is confirmed.

Last edited:

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So you go full autist collecting 33 secrets per level...only to have all your shit (that you no doubt won't even close to need anyway, because that's way too many secrets) robbed within an hour and thus making heavy exploration and resource management redundant medium and long-term.

rating_shit.png

But I guess we'll see, as nothing is confirmed.
swallow the Petersenpill already and -pistolstart

Ash

Arcane
It's better when there's long-term reward for ammo/item conservation tactics, thorough exploration and secret finding, as well as for game difficulty to be designed around that. Shit being designed around pistol start is one of few aspects of gameplay design I don't miss in some classic PC shooters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom