Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Ion Fury (formerly Ion Maiden) - Build Engine powered FPS by Duke Nukem 3D mappers - now with Aftershock DLC

Ash

Arcane
There's an easy fix that'll take some steps to rectifying the problem. Go with a range of 3-7 secrets per level. That shit was standard convention across all old school shooters for a reason. Polish yo monocles!

If you want to include lots of secrets, include pickups that don't influence the difficulty balance and core resource economy too much. Steroids and nightvision and the like as in Nukem 3D. Maybe minor weapon upgrades that don't add a shitton of power. Shortcuts or alternate routes and vantage points. Computer map/secret note that maybe automatically highlights the general location of a couple other secrets on the map...

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Will the developers be releasing assets to the modding community, or at least a level builder? I saw some pretty amazing stuff in the Duke 3D modding community over the years, though perhaps not as truly innovative as what the Doom boys do.

Ash

Arcane
Will the developers be releasing assets to the modding community, or at least a level builder? I saw some pretty amazing stuff in the Duke 3D modding community over the years, though perhaps not as truly innovative as what the Doom boys do.

Aha! Someone to ask.

Top five recommended Duke/Blood/Shadow mods?

Here's all I've played (all Nukem 3D mods):

Duke Plus: :5/5: (Very good gameplay mod. Couple rough edges but good).
HI-Res Pack:
rating_prosper.png
(Prosper ranking).
War of Attrition: N/A (No ranking. I didn't play much, thought it was well put together but it provided a style of play that merely wasn't to my taste, so I quit).
Playstation Music Mod: :5/5: (PC midi music is great but you can't beat Mad Fiddler's work in the playstation version)
AMC: TC: :4/5: (I'm extra lenient on this mod since an absolute shitload of work has gone into it, but it is cool and has this 80s Action B-movie vibe. It is worth playing).

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

Playstation Music Mod: :5/5: (PC midi music is great but you can't beat Mad Fiddler's work in the playstation version)

I like to use BassMIDI with a nice big midi Soundfont (i.e. Timbres of Heaven) when I play these old games like Duke 3D with general midi support. I'm fruity that way.

Ash

Arcane

Holy shit that's gud.

Not heard it before? The whole soundtrack is fucking incredible. Up there with the absolute best game soundtracks of the 90s. I love some of the PC midi original versions like "Aliens, Say Your Prayers!", but the PS version is just on another level.
I'm surprised this isn't common knowledge given how good it is. Kicking alien ass with those backing tracks is such a rush.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm disappointed hearing in this thread that the game is too easy for veteran Build engine players. One of the things I loved about Blood was that it was as hard as a Brazilian tranny-hooker's home made ass implants. Hope that's sorted out in the retail release.

Blood was "hard" because it was filled with a million quick-acting hitscan enemies. Lots of people itt wouldn't like that at all.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I'm disappointed hearing in this thread that the game is too easy for veteran Build engine players. One of the things I loved about Blood was that it was as hard as a Brazilian tranny-hooker's home made ass implants. Hope that's sorted out in the retail release.

Blood was "hard" because it was filled with a million quick-acting hitscan enemies. Lots of people itt wouldn't like that at all.
Blood is not hard hard,it is more challenging than the most of the old games like Doom 1&2,Duke,Strife,Hexen and Quake. I always play on the difficulty before the last because i hate respawning enemy. I always love a good shoot out with a lot of enemy,but when they resurrect it doesn't feel right. It doesn't have the satisfaction of ....killing them,lacks the moment of turning around to see a corridor full of corpses.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I hate respawing enemies too. Of course, i'm a bit of an autist and i just like the feeling of killing everything in a level. When i play Doom wads, and i get to the end with monsters still in the area, i no clip around to see if any are still left stuck in unreachable rooms or what not, just to get a full count before crossing the level. :negative:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://steamcommunity.com/games/562860/announcements/detail/1676900970203123567

The History of the Build Engine

5d8990f38f05052f157251f513ed46aa20c92e0e.jpg

It all started late in 1993, several months after Apogee and Id Software released Wolfenstein 3D to the world. Id's 3D engine was groundbreaking, and showed the gaming world that fast real-time 3D games were possible.

Ken Silverman was one of the lone coders inspired by Id's game, and at 17 years of age he set about to creative similar technology, and in 1993 he released a game called Ken's Labyrinth. It was less a game, and more of a demo, showing that it wasn't just the geniuses at Id who could pull off fast 3D gaming technology.

I saw Ken's game online and contacted him about working with him on a project together. I mentioned that I could put together a team to use his engine. He liked the idea, and we arranged a visit for him to come to Dallas to meet with myself, my partner George Broussard, and several of our developers.

When Ken visited he told us about another engine he was working on, that would be similar to the engine he knew that Id was creating for their coming game, Doom. He didn't have a name for the engine, but his execution file was called, build . com . And somehow this stuck as the unimaginative name for his engine. I guess at the time no one cared about coming up with a "cool" name.

7c78fd601767957620f637b87eb5e837b0e3290c.png

John Carmack was interviewed and asked back in the 90's, who he thought were the best 3D coders other than himself. He said, "If I had to pick who I think is just the most talented, it would probably be Ken Silverman, the guy that did the Build engine. He does engines and tools. He writes all the code for everything, and he's just extremely talented."

3D Realms knew we had an amazing partnership with Ken, and we did all we could to maximize the use of the Build engine, creating Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior internally, co-funding and co-designing Blood, and licensing the engine to several other studios to make games. I think some 8-10 Build engine games came out all told.

The Build engine was truly the pinnacle of the 2.5D game engine period, which was kicked off with Id's Doom engine. Build went well beyond the features of Doom, with sloping features, partial looking up & down, rooms above rooms, and several other innovations.

Now, 20+ years later, we're super excited to be go back to our roots and use this incredible landmark of engine technology again. The Build engine, while not the most graphically gorgeous, is fast and allows for a gameplay style that hardly seen this century, with gun-blazing gameplay in wide-open multi-path levels that seem to go on forever. On today's tech, we can push the Build engine in ways that just weren't doable in the 90's, and so we're finding refreshing ways that this engine actually outperforms some modern engines, and bring back a style a gameplay that many gamers have long missed.

What's old becomes new again, and the early success of Ion Maiden seems to show we struck the right cord. It's like the 90's are back!

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
According to Masters of Doom, Carmack secretly laughed at the Build engine, considering it far inferior and poorly coded compared to his own achievements in that arena, which is probably true (the Doom & Wolfrenstein engines were just so incredibly optimized, even at launch), but that's beside the point. Like all self-made humans, he had his public persona, and his private (two)face.

According to Masters of Doom, Carmack secretly laughed at the Build engine, considering it far inferior and poorly coded compared to his own achievements in that arena, which is probably true (the Doom & Wolfrenstein engines were just so incredibly optimized, even at launch), but that's beside the point. Like all self-made humans, he had his public persona, and his private (two)face.

Carmack isn't exactly the type to hold back with his opinions. If anything, his problem is brutal honesty. I also think that Masters of Doom reads less dramatic than you make it sound:

Though Carmack hated [Duke Nukem 3D], feeling that its engine was "held together with bubble gum", the gamers bought it in droves.

Technically, he's right. The Build engine is a hack. A pretty clever hack, and an incredible feat for a 20 year old developer with little experience, but a hack nevertheless. On the other hand, both Doom and Quake (which was released only a few months after Duke 3D) are the result of thorough research and solid engineering and have influenced the field of realtime 3D graphics ever since.

Last edited:

Drax

Arcane
Build.exe was my introduction to modding, I remember having lots of graph papers with intricate levels and learning how to make those damn room-over-room sections. And my greatest achievement in life: managing to make drivable sectors, the rush I got when I loaded up the level and saw it working was like injecting cocaine in muh dick.
Build.exe was fucking awesome from the players perspective, carmack notwithstanding.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Masters of Doom always came off to me as sensationalized.

Jon Jon Romero himself said there was so much more, SO MUCH MORE, than what was in the book. But yeah the authors did seem to only take the highlights of their lives. There's a part where Burger Bill shows up at the Id offices in the early days and they make him seem like some giant butt of their joke. I mean, Curly Howard at his most abused came off a thousand times more respected than poor Bill in that book.

I also think that Masters of Doom reads less dramatic than you make it sound:

Dude, are you serious? Masters of Doom made a long-running tabletop D&D game that ended abruptly one tragic day between Carmack, Romero and Tom Hall et al sound like the end of the world!

Oh, now I remember. :) In my post, I was only refering to Carmack's opinion about Duke Nukem or the Build engine. You are probably right in regard to the general tone of the book.

Build.exe was fucking awesome from the players perspective, carmack notwithstanding.

I agree, and I still love the Build games, especially Duke Nukem 3D. It's just that, from a purely technical perspective, Carmack's sentiment is completely understandable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom