Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland inXile's Wasteland 1 Re-Release

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
You should see my Ultimate RPG Archives manual. I could kill people with it.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Are paragraphs even an "issue"? Goldbox games have more of those and are much worse to reference and I've never seen it stop anyone from playing them.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Are paragraphs even an "issue"? Goldbox games have more of those and are much worse to reference and I've never seen it stop anyone from playing them.
Goldbox games are still relatively easy to get in original. I have Pool of Radiance sitting on my shelf. Wasteland is a rare game and nowadays prices start with 100$.
I only managed to get a cover and C64 disks.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Goldbox games are still relatively easy to get in original. I have Pool of Radiance sitting on my shelf. Wasteland is a rare game and nowadays prices start with 100$.
I only managed to get a cover and C64 disks.

This.

That old manual is pretty rare. Nice to have it in-game rather than have to search google for it or open PDF viewer (neither of which is particularly compelling gameplay).

On the portraits thing, perhaps we'll post a poll with some options for different procedurally-generated looks for the uprezzed ones.

We are not spending much artist time on this element though; it's secondary to WL2.

The originals are there for those that prefer.

Also, if we do implement the ability to use custom portraits you'll have lots of options.

Wasteland 2 ships with an enormous number of portraits. I'm not sure of the exact figure but it's well over one-hundred. In that set, we've also given a high-detail treatment to the majority of WL1 portraits (the Leather Jerk / Biker Scum is an example of that). If custom WL1 portraits is a thing, you could use all of those.

Thanks for the feedback; as always we take it all into consideration when making decisions.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
On the portraits thing, perhaps we'll post a poll with some options for different procedurally-generated looks for the uprezzed ones.

You could first upscale the originals with nearest neighbor to 200%, then upscale them further to whatever resolution you need with lanczos. After that, you'd need to apply some kind of sharpening algorithm (-unsharp if you use Imagemagick). It'd take some time to find the parameters that would make the resulting images look best, admittedly, but it shouldn't really take a whole lot.

That'd be sooo much better than just applying the hq2x filter that you seem to have used, in any case. At least to graphicswhores like me, dunno about the average player. :M

GlutenBurger

Cipher
I don't know why people are griping about PDF viewers. I simply printed out the paragraph book.

Flicking through the pages actually adds to the game's charm. I did get a papercut which was horribly infected by Dorito dust, but overcoming such challenges builds character.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
MLMarkland
Any chances for this filter being implemented?

We've actually played around with a similar effect for something in WL2 during Chararacter Creation (dunno if it will wind up in). I'll pass that onto the engineers on WL1 and see what they think.

I don't know why people are griping about PDF viewers. I simply printed out the paragraph book. Flicking through the pages actually adds to the game's charm. I did get a papercut which was horribly infected by Dorito dust, but overcoming such challenges builds character.

Physical manual definitely has greatest charm and enjoyment factor. When reading the Numenera stuff for Torment, I can't stand doing it in PDF. Always got to look at the hard copy. That being said, for a digital re-release of WL1, a convenient way for folks to get all this info without having to go into a different app or use a printer is a good thing.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
What they should do, is make all the art assets modifiable, so that perhaps some modding community could do some larger portraits.

But with that said, EA still owns all the art assets and the Wasteland game so that may not be an option.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
What they should do, is make all the art assets modifiable, so that perhaps some modding community could do some larger portraits.
It would be great if we could make our own tiles and interface graphics.

You actually could, provided there is some way to access the art assets. And depending on how the art files are.

I don't know if the art assets are single art files, or one huge file where they use offsets to locate the artwork (like what Ultima VII does).

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
You actually could, provided there is some way to access the art assets. And depending on how the art files are.

I don't know if the art assets are single art files, or one huge file where they use offsets to locate the artwork (like what Ultima VII does).
I mean make new in higher resolution.

Wasteland with Hero Quest level graphics would be awesome.

Midair

Learned
Thanks for the feedback; as always we take it all into consideration when making decisions.

aspect=true. This would take 2 seconds and is how the graphics are meant to be displayed. Notice how wide that screenshot is, much wider than a 1980s monitor? That is b/c it is being squished into the wrong aspect ratio. dosbox can fix this with aspect=true, though maybe it should be optional like the filtering.

gromit

Arcane
Goldbox games are still relatively easy to get in original. I have Pool of Radiance sitting on my shelf. Wasteland is a rare game and nowadays prices start with 100$. I only managed to get a cover and C64 disks.
Damn, really? I got a decent-condition box with all the trimmings for a buck, at a second-hand store. I knew it was lucky, but not that lucky.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The new portraits are absolutely awful though.
:troll:

I think they are fine. But again I would love to see the art assets for them "modder friendly" if possible. The community could more than likely do some nice portraits (a dedicated community could).

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I think they are fine. But again I would love to see the art assets for them "modder friendly" if possible. The community could more than likely do some nice portraits (a dedicated community could).
I bet you play Dos games with filters that aren't Normal3x :D .

Gord

Arcane
I bet you play Dos games with filters that aren't Normal3x :D .

The downside of normal3x is that it makes pixels fucking huge on modern monitors.
Not exactly like the games used to look on our old 14-17'' CRTs, either.
Some games do look good with different scalers, some look terrible. Depends, imho.
Sometimes I'd also like a more dynamic scaler than just 1x, 2x, 3x (at least I'd wonder how the interpolation would look like. Probably terrible, though).

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Are those portraits different like Wizardry 7 DOS vs Wiz7 Gold for example?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom