Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bard's Tale IV will get cheaper if enough people wishlist it on Steam and GOG

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment; The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep

We've all heard of Kickstarter stretch goals. We've seen some games get pre-order stretch goals. If you look hard enough, you might even find some wishlist stretch goals. But I'm pretty sure there's never been a wishlist stretch goal that offered to reduce a game's price if the goal was met. That's what Brian Fargo is offering for The Bard's Tale IV, along with some other stuff. I'll let the press release explain:

NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. – Aug. 16, 2018 – inXile Entertainment, the studio led by Interplay founder and industry icon Brian Fargo, is proud to announce The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep Wishlist Initiative, an evolution in the relationship between an indie developer and its fanbase. In a project that is the first of its kind, gamers who wishlist The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep on either the game’s Steam or GOG.com pages add to an overall counter that unlocks bonuses which reward all purchasers of the game now and in the future.

At 100k wishlisters, inXile will partner with Red Hook Studios to provide an in-game version of the iconic torch from Darkest Dungeon. According to Red Hook Studios Co-founder Tyler Sigman, “Darkest Dungeon has its roots in classics like The Bard’s Tale, so to be a small part of helping to bring the series back is a real treat for us as fellow game devs and especially as fans.”

At 300k wishlisters, the retail price will drop from $39.95/£29.99 to $34.95/£27.99.

At 500k wishlisters, two amazing tiers will unlock: first, the retail price will drop to $29.95/£24.99, knocking a full $10 off the original price. Secondly, a free DLC will be created and released for all game owners called “The Haernhold,” which finds characters adventuring in the dwarven realm of Kinestria.

In "The Haernhold" DLC, players gain the opportunity to travel beyond Caith to another dimension - Kinestria, realm of the Dwarves. Therein lies the Haernhold, home of Daeglish, one of the characters that can join the player’s party in the main game. All is not well - the tomb of a Dwarven king has been defiled, and only the heroes from Skara Brae have the power to face the darkness that has been unleashed. The only portal to Kinestria resides in Fort Garendon, and it is there where the player’s cross-realm odyssey will begin.

In 2012, inXile was in the vanguard of proving that crowdsourcing was a viable alternative for indie developers to pursue their dream projects. inXile then introduced the Kicking It Forward program, which created a pattern where successful indie devs could help others fund their own projects. Brian Fargo then joined the Advisory Board of Fig, which brought the power of investment to crowdfunding. Now, with this Wishlist Initiative, inXile is inviting their fans and RPG fans to take part in this collective effort to bring crowdsourcing to sales platforms.

According to inXile CEO Brian Fargo, “Crowdfunding opens up so many possibilities because it allows us to pursue ideas that we might not otherwise and to take creative risks. Our backers helped us get The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep made, and now we’re hoping that all our fans can help us spread the word about it, and in doing so, unlock rewards for themselves and help make the game that much more accessible for the wider gaming audience out there. Putting a game on your wishlist costs nothing, yet can mean everything to an indie studio like us. With this initiative, we’re hoping to have it mean something extra for our fans, too.”

The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep will launch on Windows PC on Sept. 18, 2018. It is expected to arrive later this year on the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, Xbox One, Mac and Linux. Weekly updates on the Wishlist Initiative will be provided on the company’s social media accounts: https://www.facebook.com/TheBardsTale and https://twitter.com/Inxile_Ent
It's known that wishlisting a game affects Steam's discoverability algorithm, making it appear more often on the store's front page. What I suspect happened here is that inXile realized that $40 is too high a price point for this game, but rather than just unilaterally drop the price, they decided to try to get something out of it. Wishlisting doesn't cost anything, so you all might as well head over to The Bard's Tale IV's Steam and GOG pages and add it.

UPDATE: Wishlisting the game on the Humble Store will now also count towards the total.

Last edited by a moderator:

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I backed this on kickstarter for 20$. I will get the game and got Bard's Tale Trilogy Remastered for free. Pretty good deal.

How stupid are you if you buy this post kickstarter? You got a much better deal as early bird backer. Anyway I wishlisted it now so that people can buy it cheaper but my god people are stupid. Protip: If you intend to buy a product, do it as early bird backer.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
BTW, interesting that the free DLC is the Realm of the Dwarves when the unreached $1.7M stretch goal from the Kickstarter campaign was the Realm of the Elves:

379f9e7114bf6fad033d9ad7208d659f_original.jpg

To be fair, Colin McComb isn't around anymore...

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I backed this on kickstarter for 20$. I will get the game and got Bard's Tale Trilogy Remastered for free. Pretty good deal.

How stupid are you if you buy this post kickstarter? You got a much better deal as early bird backer. Anyway I wishlisted it now so that people can buy it cheaper but my god people are stupid. Protip: If you intend to buy a product, do it as early bird backer.

Buying things after they have already been produced (and reviewed by the public) is never stupid, don't care if you save $20.

That being said, Kickstarter backing isn't a bad way to combine getting the game on launch with a Christmas sale price if you are confident in your predictions.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
You can love or hate Fargo but the man is a snake oil salesman of the highest quality; rather than just lowering the price of the game he is getting some free marketing, free exposure and a good amount of goodwill if he does this
All in all sounds like a great strategy

Oh and about backing this at the lower $20 price point during that Kickstarter... yeah after backing Wasteland 2 and enjoying it tremendously but with all the bad jibbies about Nu Torment (which turned out to be accurate btw) I didn’t feel like gambling until I had more info on the project itself
But in all honestly the game looks fine and definitely worth it if they decided to charge $30 for it.... plus because of the regional discounts I will probably get it closer to $18
:troll:

Am I the only one who sees this as a ludicrous marketing tactic given that it inherently implies the original price was a deliberate act of overcharging their customers? That, in fact, their game does not have much value. They're engaging in a move that can more or less be summed up as "we can afford to charge you less for our product if you only vaguely hint at the possibility of wanting it."

How is that clever?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
It'll stay on my wish list until it hits 50% off in a year or so. Such a backlog of games as it is.
Real men don't care about retarded concepts like "backlog".
Just play it and enjoy good stuff.
Don't turn gaming into second job.

Contagium

Savant
Patron
It'll stay on my wish list until it hits 50% off in a year or so. Such a backlog of games as it is.
Real men don't care about retarded concepts like "backlog".
Just play it and enjoy good stuff.
Don't turn gaming into second job.

Yeah, and most new games are in a shit state when first relrased. Waiting a bit for bugs to get ironed out with a potential price drop is a savvy move

Tigranes

Arcane
It really doesn't. But I'm happy to be proven wrong by future updates.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom