Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

inXile General Discussion Thread

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Anything that gets Bethesda sued is fine in my book.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Can they force a game to be removed from steam?
Happened before, although for slightly different copyright reasons. 7 Days to Die bought some assets on Unity Asset Store and it turned out those assets were being sold by some guy who had no rights for them. The game got pulled from Steam for days until the situation got fixed.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm sure they were just going for some clever alliteration.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This guy attended Brian's talk: http://wordcowboy.com/reboot-redux-day-2-just-do-it/

WP_20160429_12_38_29_Pro-1024x575.jpg

For a freelance writer just beginning to branch into development, the talk was an eye-opener. After Brian talked a bit about his background (Bard’s Tale, Wasteland, Baldur’s Gate, Planescape: Torment, Fallout, Wasteland 2, in case those titles mean anything to you), he talked about video game projects using the metaphor of a child you birth into this world, raise, educate, and release into the world. It was an analogy at least two other speakers made during the conference, so there’s no doubt it’s a good one: the game project starts as a crying, shitting, helpless piece of flesh, and then, if you love it, and work hard enough on raising it, you can turn it into a super hero. But at it’s birth, you don’t know if it’ll become a game developer or a serial killer … that’s up to you as its creator. Brian said that game development is chaos: things won’t go as they’re planned, and, if there was one most important (for me, at any rate) thing I’d learnt from his talk is this:

It is cheaper to fix mistakes than to prevent them from happening.

The logical justification is this: things won’t go according to plan, and if you overplan then you’ve already lost the time that went into planning when it’s time to fix the things that just don’t work. To use a line from his presentation, “You’re not making the game until you’re playing the game.” The sooner you have an iteration of the game, the better. Or, to quote Dan Wieden of Widen+Kennedy, “Just do it.”

Brian then talked about the importance of creating interesting characters that would give players a justification to keep them in their (RPG game) party via their personality quirks and providing late-game stories for those characters to surprise and reward the player for sticking with those characters. A game, he said, is about the journey, not the destination. He had also recommended the book Creativity Inc as a great read for anyone in the creative industry … when it was time for questions, I’d asked what does he and his team consider when designing stats for their games.

“The stats depend on what your game is about,” he said. “So if your game is about mental tasks, you probably won’t need to focus on strength, for example. The stats grow out of the requirements and the vision for the game.”

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Fargo's twitter was essentially the official InXile twitter account, but I guess he's grown tired of tweeting everything himself and wants a minion to do it for him instead.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
So, apparently WL2's steam reviews are being raided by people butthurt about the whole Alien Wasteland drama. Most of them have total 0.1h of played time.

:cmcc:

Mustawd

So, apparently WL2's steam reviews are being raided by people butthurt about the whole Alien Wasteland drama. Most of them have total 0.1h of played time.

:cmcc:

LOL. Oh lord. Shitty FPS apologists abound. Hilarious to do this on a game that released in 2014. That'll show 'em you guys! Haha.

I hope this FPS dev goes under, so we can stop talking about this and let inXile make more RPGs. Hyped for the new Bard's Tale.:bounce:

Mustawd

lol. You so funny Exc.

Who cares?

EDIT: Apparently 47 people on steam LOL. Holy shit. 47 whole people. High-lair-eeous.

EDIT2: Wait..no, 37% of 47 people. So 17 people. Hahaha. Oh lord. Such try hard. They can't even muster a football team of protesters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom