Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

inXile General Discussion Thread

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
I don't think I've seen it since it originally aired a long, long time ago, but didn't the cartoon use leftover Star Trek scripts?

Not that I know of. I tried looking it up but I have not seen any article that suggests this, perhaps Memory Alpha but that will have to be lated today as I have other appointments.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
So I got a leak from an Inexile employee that they were drawing concept art for Meantime. Could that be their next game?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nothing's impossible, but inXile abandoned their Meantime trademark back in 2016.

My guess was that after Bard's Tale IV they'd be focusing on their Frostpoint VR/survival/whatever-the-fuck-it-is game along with Wasteland 3. Unless they're already making concept art for what comes after Wasteland 3 (which is also when Fargo is supposed to be retiring...)

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
The original Meantime was going to be set in the same universe as Wasteland, so maybe it's a planned expansion or spinoff? Wasteland 3: Meantime.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not sure how much is known about what Meantime was supposed to be like, but going by what I've read (see: Wikipedia) it doesn't seem worth it to revive the property after 30 years. To be sure, it would be unique, especially in today's market, but time travel? Even the greats fail at making sense of that kind of story, and the current crop at InXile wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell. That wouldn't be a problem if the game were to be as lulzy as Wasteland (or, say, the Worlds of Ultima games), but I think modern trends dictate otherwise; at the very least I'd expect a different, more self-conscious and self-referential kind of lulzy, less "anything goes, gravitas be damned", more "look at us, we're a regular Monty Python". What's more, players would expect to get to make choices, and in a time travel RPG that's a recipe for disaster if I ever saw one.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not sure how much is known about what Meantime was supposed to be like, but judging by what I've read (see: Wikipedia) it doesn't seem worth it to revive the property after 30 years. To be sure, it would be unique, especially in today's market, but time travel? Even the greats fail at making sense of that kind of story, and the current crop at InXile wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell. That wouldn't be a problem if the game were to be as lulzy as Wasteland (or, say, the Worlds of Ultima games), but I think modern trends dictate otherwise; at the very least I'd expect a different, more self-conscious and self-referential kind of lulzy, less "anything goes, gravitas be damned", more "look at us, we're a regular Monty Python". What's more, players would expect to get to make choices, and in a time travel RPG that's a recipe for disaster if I ever saw one.
Ehhhh, horsefeathers. They could come up with something pretty good, particularly without the shackles of an old legacy to live up to. Time travel is perfectly doable, just look at Chrono Trigger, inXile's already proven they can do branching C&C and remaps of zones (did you blow up Titan Valley? What does it look like now? Did Germany win WWII? What does Anytown USA look like if it's Jedestat Westenbau instead?) I think the main problem would be scope, they'd want to make it a 40 hour epic with 64 different endings which would obviously be a bad idea. A 10 hour romp with 8 or 16 endings would be just fine. It would certainly have unique production challenges, and it might end up a "B" RPG and/or a "B" time travel story, but even "B" sci-fi can be worth reading. I'd play it for sure.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Chrono Trigger I haven't played, but it's my understanding that it's perfectly linear, like other JRPGs of that era. Maybe I'm overestimating the amount of work it would be to create different alternate timelines to account for player choice, but I doubt it. And they can't very well avoid such choices either, at least, not without some extremely clever writing to warp it all to one timeline without making the choices feel fake. And removing choices altogether wouldn't fly like it would in 1988, not for a company with InXile's reputation.

The thing about the "B" sci-fi angle is that I'm worried that InXile would too readily play into the comedic angle that is neccessitated by a superficial treatment of time travel (assuming they have enough common sense not to try anything more profound). They were apparently planning to have real historical characters and scenarios feature in the game. I'm struggling to find the right words here, but if you look at Martian Dreams, another time travel game, it's all played straight. The characters behave according to the writers' (highly caricatural) ideas of how the real person would behave in the given scenario. The absurdity of the situation isn't acknowledged by anyone. I can't imagine that sort of game in the current climate, not without a lot of fourth wall-testing wink wink nudge nudge. It boils down to the fact that I don't have faith in the writers, I suppose. This is a tangent, but whatever. That's how I roll.
They could come up with something pretty good, particularly without the shackles of an old legacy to live up to.
I think doing a time travel RPG is much less feasible in 2018 than it would have been in 1990. I'd rather they set their sights on something less ambitious, as they're basically creating a setting from scratch either way. The novelty of reviving a 30-year old name isn't worth that much hassle.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Fantasy's winning of course.

Historic/modern dead last, once again proving Feargus's reluctance correct.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I used to think post-apoc was my favorite until I saw Wasteland, what a piece of vomit that game is. Voted sci-fi so they fuck off my favorite settings.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Wasteland: Frost Point is a PUBG/Fortnite-like but in VR, from gumi's earnings report last June:

(Japanese, p.35) http://v4.eir-parts.net/DocumentTemp/20180803_062639904_q3hv2245lrcmdmb32gjafd3b_0.pdf

d008R7L.jpg

Release in 2019, gumi has the rights to global publishing.

Transcript: (Japanese) https://logmi.jp/293416

Google Translate slight edited said:
Another thing that we are making with inXile is "Wasteland" which sold 30 million, this is an open world survival genre.

Now in the global world, this open world survival genre is pretty much sweeping. In fact, like "PUBG" and "Fortnite", last year break-up game are almost of this genre's genre.

Now in Xile is making exactly that VR version of the open world survival. As you may know by playing "PUBG" or "Fortnite", battle royal is a genre that 50 and 100 people are in one place and killing each other. At the end, the last one survivor is the winner, it is an e-sports game with that simple rule. I think VR is more suitable for this genre.

Currently it's in development, here is also a video.

(Video flowing)

While hiding around these worlds, you will fight various enemies and other players from the first person perspective.

Like RPGs, when it comes to VR, it feels like you really are in the wilderness world and survive within it, so it does not compare with existing PCs or mobile with tension and pounding feeling.

Where does "30 million" come from? Did they mean 3 million?

And from the slides, gumi also invested on Robot Cache.

Bohr

Arcane
Interesting.

so it does not compare with existing PCs or mobile with tension and pounding feeling.

Although inXile has long been providing backers with a 'pounding feeling' :M

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Wasteland: Frost Point is a PUBG/Fortnite-like but in VR, from gumi's earnings report last June:

Apparently inXile also secured 4 million USD from Tencent for this game. So with gumi's 4.5 million USD investment, this could be a 10 million+ USD budget game.

edit: found the original slide: (Japanese, p.22) https://ssl4.eir-parts.net/doc/3903/ir_material_for_fiscal_ym/46404/00.pdf

世界最大規模のゲーム会社であるテンセントが4M USDの出資を実行

Google Translate said:
Tencent, the world's largest game company, invested 4M USD

vonAchdorf

Arcane
That's a game the world has been waiting for. How will inXile staff the dev team? People from BT4 after it's finished or grow the company?

agris

Arcane
Patron

Apparently inXile also secured 4 million USD from Tencent for this game. So with gumi's 4.5 million USD investment, this could be a 10 million+ USD budget game.

edit: found the original slide: (Japanese, p.22) https://ssl4.eir-parts.net/doc/3903/ir_material_for_fiscal_ym/46404/00.pdf

世界最大規模のゲーム会社であるテンセントが4M USDの出資を実行

Google Translate said:
Tencent, the world's largest game company, invested 4M USD
The down side being that they need to develop two games rather than one. Despite sharing a lot of assets, that still comes off as inXile stealing from tomorrow to pay for today.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space

This is disappointing. I excepted them to want to make shitty console big budget rpgs - not games so far outside the scope of anything rpg related.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom