Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

inXile General Discussion Thread

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I wouldn't consider Larian's move to expand the scope of the sequel while also expanding the studio drastically to work on at least an additional IP "playing it safe".

Quillon

Arcane
Larian has just learnt the formula to big success which is overflowing a game with whatever crap they can think of with good enough production quality and full VO. They can never fail on today's market. They are playing it safe.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Full VO is a money sink which can literally sink a company if the game flops. Unlike InXile though, they brought a game to consoles, which apparently even console players buy - while in Numas case, not even PC gamers felt like reading 2 trillion words - and console players even less (though that's on Techland and not InXile).

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I wouldn't consider Larian's move to expand the scope of the sequel while also expanding the studio drastically to work on at least an additional IP "playing it safe".

Reusing the formula of your highly successful game while upping the production values is literally a definition of playing it safe.

Tom Selleck

Arcane

CHnjd2UWgAAeIPN.jpg

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Full VO is a money sink which can literally sink a company if the game flops. Unlike InXile though, they brought a game to consoles, which apparently even console players buy - while in Numas case, not even PC gamers felt like reading 2 trillion words - and console players even less (though that's on Techland and not InXile).
I don't mind reading a million of words. Sadly numenera's writing is shit and pointless. I can't remember a single meaningful dialogue.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Full VO can literally sink a company
If the studio has their headquarters on a boat and they try to have too many voice actors on board at once.

Reusing the formula of your highly successful game while upping the production values is literally a definition of playing it safe.
In a dictionary that exists nowhere.

Two posters in a row. I hate you people.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
If the studio has their headquarters on a boat and they try to have too many voice actors on board at once.

In a dictionary that exists nowhere.

Two posters in a row. I hate you people.

Figure of speech, mate. Using exaggeration to emphasize a point is a perfectly fine use of language.

For example, if I say "Zombra literally eats dicks" I'm simply making a factual statement. But if I say "Zombra literally eats elephant dicks", I'm using exaggeration, because obviously a human being can't actually fit elephant dicks in their mouth, even if they had as much practice as you.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Figure of speech, mate. Using exaggeration to emphasize a point is a perfectly fine use of language.
Using exaggeration is indeed fine; however, using the word "literally" literally means your intent is not to exaggerate. Instead of providing emphasis, your misuse undercuts your point by showing that you can't differentiate fact from fiction, and don't understand the very words you're trying to make a point with.

This and this aren't funny because Kent makes strong points with eloquent language, but because he is stupid. We're laughing at him, not with him.

Last edited:

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
On the one hand, very doesn't mean "much" either, it means "truthfully". Really means .. Real-ly. On the other hand, it would be nice to have some words to do with truth left that weren't brought low into "general intensifier".

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
On the one hand, very doesn't mean "much" either, it means "truthfully". Really means .. Real-ly. On the other hand, it would be nice to have some words to do with truth left that weren't brought low into "general intensifier".

Literally can and should always be defined as literally and be the application of literal. What is wrong with figuratively? Why can't the people misusing literally just use the word made to be used in the situations they are misusing literally for?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Using exaggeration is indeed fine; however, using the word "literally" literally means your intent is not to exaggerate.

Not if you're employing the word as a figure of speech or a rhetorical device, because that literally means that you're not using the word literally in its literal meaning. In the example above,- literally is literally not used literally, because literally is literally where the exaggeration takes place. If I call you a gigantic dumbass, are you going to consult the dictionary and conclude that you can't be a gigantic dumbass because giants are fictional? That's not how any of it works, pal.

Zombra

Patron
Not if you're employing the word as a figure of speech or a rhetorical device, because that literally means that you're not using the word literally in its literal meaning. In the example above,- literally is literally not used literally, because literally is literally where the exaggeration takes place. If I call you a gigantic dumbass, are you going to consult the dictionary and conclude that you can't be a gigantic dumbass because giants are fictional? That's not how any of it works, pal.
"Gigantic" does not mean "freakishly large and I am definitionally not exaggerating", so it is not an inappropriate word to use for exaggerative purposes. "Literally" does mean "I am definitionally not exaggerating" and is inappropriate to use for such purposes.

Last edited:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't get how Fargo can legitimately whine about spiralling AA production costs when his competitors are legitimately doing well in the same environment. It's just him being bad at business, and I'll happily munch popcorn when his last chance Wasteland 3 flops in 2020 while other developers release quality AA titles that are much better than his.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Literally

2:in effect :virtually —used in an exaggerated way to emphasize a statement or description that is not literally true or possible
  • will literally turn the world upside down to combat cruelty or injustice
  • —Norman Cousins

Yes, axe also has a new entry in its definition of modern day dictionaries. Most words have been destroyed by base people with base minds. If you want the real definitions use a dictionary from the 80s. The cultists have been trying to control the narrative by controlling definitions and destroying reason for longer than that, but the last reasonable scholars where overruled with the growth of the internet.

Dummies are going to dumb, and part of that is destroying definitions.

Literally can only literally mean literally no matter what fucking idiots add to modern dictionaries.

vonAchdorf

Arcane

I was literally expecting something like this when I submitted the post ;)

I have sympathies for linguistic purists and precise language, so I appreciate the reminder, but like Tom stated, there has been a shift in meaning which - like it or not - already crept into the dictionaries. Interestingly there are similar examples in German, where words did a 180 in the public perception of their meaning.[/QUOTE]

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
"Literally" does mean "I am definitionally not exaggerating" and is inappropriate to use for such purposes.

I'm afraid you don't have a say in that, bub. Context and usage dictate meaning, which is why both of those sentences were perfectly understandable to every reader. Processing written communications by zeroing on one word at the time is how 3rd graders read.

I have sympathies for linguistic purists and precise language, so I appreciate the reminder, but like Tom stated, there has been a shift in meaning which - like it or not - already crept into the dictionaries. Interestingly there are similar examples in German, where words did a 180 in the public perception of their meaning.

That's just how it works though. Dictionary is not sacred scripture, it's just catalogue of most recent usage trends. Language purists are just insecure autists who like to pat themselves on the back about their self-proclaimed intellectual superiority, whereas in reality they never were within a 100 miles of a linguistics textbook. If they were, they'd knew that all their crusading is not only misguided, but entirely futile. Correct way to speak is how the majority speaks.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
That's just how it works though. Dictionary is not sacred scripture, it's just catalogue of most recent usage trends. Language purists are just insecure autists who like to pat themselves on the back about their self-proclaimed intellectual superiority, whereas in reality they never were within a 100 miles of a linguistics textbook. If they were, they'd knew that all their crusading is not only misguided, but entirely futile. Correct way to speak is how the majority speaks.

So usefulness has nothing to do with it? As an example you used to have to have an implication to make an inference - now, thanks to your kind of low brow monkey thinking, infer and imply mean the same thing.

How is this better for anyone but stupid people? You had two words meaning two different things and it helped intelligent people communicate clearly and efficiently. Now you have two words meaning the same thing and it just leads to confusion for intelligent people. Are you talking to a new age dummy and not bother wondering if there was an implication? Or is this person somewhat intelligent and should I bother wasting time and effort thinking about what implication his inference is referring to?

Only retards want the language dumbed down and made less useful and less efficient.

Edit: retards who pretend to be Wolverine and call people bub should be shot for being extra retarded.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

So usefulness has nothing to do with it? As an example you used to have to have an implication to make an inference - now, thanks to your kind of low brow monkey thinking, infer and imply mean the same thing.

How is this better for anyone but stupid people? You had two words meaning two different things and it helped intelligent people communicate clearly and efficiently. Now you have two words meaning the same thing and it just leads to confusion for intelligent people. Are you talking to a new age dummy and not bother wondering if there was an implication? Or is this person somewhat intelligent and should I bother wasting time and effort thinking about what implication his inference is referring to?

Only retards want the language dumbed down and made less useful and less efficient.

Edit: retards who pretend to be Wolverine and call people bub should be shot for being extra retarded.

Also, according to this guy's reasoning the following two signs seen in a store are just as correct-

"Affective immediately all purchases are non-refundable."

"Effective immediately all purchases are non-refundable."

Take it from me, I had a very, very poor primary education. I've paid for it severely in the professional world. If I could do it all again I would have really tried to learn and master English. I deal with most of my peers by email and it is very important to sound competent when dealing with actual professionals; almost all of whom did pay attention and do well in all levels of their education and judge you and make decisions based off the limited information they have of you.

If you don't plan on making much of yourself it really doesn't matter. But if you plan on becoming some sort of actual professional outside of the movie or television industry this shit is very, very important.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom