Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info InXile consults academics to create Wasteland authenticity

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment; Thwacke; Wasteland 2

Brian Fargo retweeted an interesting press release from some sort of "academic think tank" called Thwacke. It sounds like Fargo is bringing these guys on board to add some sprinkle of science, bitch! to Wasteland 2.

From the press release:

While a post-apocalyptic future is a bleak one to imagine, with the right minds, it is a feasible one to speculate. In order to bring a novel sense of believability to narrative, inXile will be working with the Montreal-based science consultancy, Thwacke. Thwacke will bring in experts in the realms of evolutionary biology, nuclear physics, and medicine to add depth and believability to the wasteland, its people, its creatures and its afflictions. As part of their collaboration with inXile, Thwacke, will be working closely with the writers and producers behind Wasteland 2 to enrich their fiction with interesting science. Thwacke CEO and molecular biologist, Sebastian Alvarado, has ensured that his entire team will align good science from their respective expertise to build rich stories. “We’re interested in creating moments where the player feels the line blur between reality and fiction, ultimately impacting gameplay and narrative”.

"The more smart guys we have in room looking at the writing and design is always a good thing and in this case we have a group of very bright people checking our work." –Brian Fargo​

Update - Brian Fargo writes:

Don't worry...Wasteland will still keep its odd humor, mutants and Scorpitrons etc. Thwacke helps with overall logic and science in parts.

Fun factor is most important element for Wasteland 2.​

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
1572737_o.gif

Groovy.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
BTW I don't think this is that unusual. I'd be very surprised for instance if DX:HR didn't have scientific consultants. That game had tons of plausible technobabble.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
It's always good to know that someone's going into great pains to deliver quality. :incline:

ironyuri

Captain Shrek said:
The argument is misunderstood.

The argument is that: it is NOT in view of "realism" to have women warriors.

It is not: whether women should be warriors in fantasy setting.

A lot of argumentation that women can be strong and athletic is thus immaterial.

Captain Shrek demands realism only so long as it is psuedo-science and not actual science.

ACADEMICS GITTIN IN THE WAY OF MY GAYMIN REALISMSSSS

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Lame use of resources. Thumbs down.

The only 'source' they need is WL1 and maybe the FOs since theya re the improved version of WL1.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
trying way too hard

To make a good game?

How does this make a good game? Does it really need spending money for experts in biology or all that other stuff? Was Fallout a worse game because instead of having "expert realistic stuff" it was lighthearted SCIENCE! in there?

“We’re interested in creating moments where the player feels the line blur between reality and fiction, ultimately impacting gameplay and narrative”.

:lol:

Seriously.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
It's easy to see why girls don't like you.

Please tell me how a) this is relevant at all to this thread and b) them hiring these people impacts the gameplay in any way, in a way that they felt it was important to make a news about it.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
So this is where the money is going?
So this is what scientists waste their time on?

Seriously though, I think it's a great idea. We will avoid that way having ants spewing fire or mirelurks, people made from shit that can be destroyed by plush teddy bears, unkillable children, things like radiation poisoning still present in water after 150 years but when the nuke explodes 3 feet away from you you get nothing, mini mushroom clouds, cars exploding from a regular gun-shot, things like for wearing a white coat you get +5 to medicine, summersaults after being shot with one bullet of a small (or even big) calibre, etc.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Please tell me how a) this is relevant at all to this thread and b) them hiring these people impacts the gameplay in any way, in a way that they felt it was important to make a news about it.

Because you're a miserable fucking bastard and even when things are good you can't help but whine and complain about shit. :roll:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
If It was some hard sci-fi shit I'd understand, but hiring scientists to help write a post-apocalyptical setting? What's the point?

I guess Obsidian will now have to step up their game and announce they hired a cabal of occultists to help write and design Project Eternity.

Seriously though, I think it's a great idea. We will avoid that way having ants spewing fire or mirelurks, people made from shit that can be destroyed by plush teddy bears, unkillable children, things like radiation poisoning still present in water after 150 years but when the nuke explodes 3 feet away from you you get nothing, mini mushroom clouds, cars exploding from a regular gun-shot, things like for wearing a white coat you get +5 to medicine, summersaults after being shot with one bullet of a small (or even big) calibre, etc.
Do you seriously need to pay a scientist to figure those things make no sense?

Alex

Arcane
What the hell?!

This is Wasteland we are talking about here, which was built on top of Gamma World! The point is not to be realistic, it is to be as fucking absurd as you can. Even in Fallout this wouldn't fit that well, as the 50s theme was much more important than the things happening there being plausible. We are talking about stuff like this:

smartplant.jpg

bunnies.jpg

Not about hard science fiction.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz

Because you're a miserable fucking bastard and even when things are good you can't help but whine and complain about shit. :roll:

You're right, I shouldn't care at all - it's not me who sees his money wasted carefully spent on this very important feauture because I haven't pledged. :thumbsup:

Phelot

Arcane
inb4 the scientists tell them there wouldn't be mutants and that we'd all be dead; cancel game 4EVER

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
This doesn't mean the game will be super-realistic. Fuck, every crazy ass sci-fi movie out there has "scientific consultants" in the credits.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Wasteland 2 status: avoiding actual work.

So this is where the money is going?

You just made me realize that no one on Fallout 3 team finished high school.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom