Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Squad Tactics Invisible Inc.

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by Ulminati, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Zetorgender: ⚧ Arcane

Zetor
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Hmm, I sort of have the opposite view -- sure, the really basic gameplay is the same (and most stealth tricks are universal, like deliberately sprinting to draw enemies), but in my experience you really need to adapt your strategy and tactics to whatever the RNG throws at you during a run. F'rex depending on the items (or agents, incognita programs, etc) you start with / find, you can decide whether to stealth past guards or knock them out, whether it's better to do your hacking actions at a steady pace or in bursts, etc... or hell, just what types of maps / missions to take over others to maximize potential profit and minimize getting a 'haha fuck you' result with the RNG.

What I'd recommend is set a goal (beat the expansion on expert, choose Faust and Brimstone as starting programs, beat the game without starting with internationale/xu/your_favorite_agent) and see how that forces you to change up your gameplay.

My biggest complaint is that you need to 'unlock' many of the various options by completing campaigns, which is just dumb imo... well ok, I'm just salty because I want archive Prism for an expert+ run dammit. And yea, the story is kinda stupid (Idiot Ball: The Game).

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. oasis789gender: ⚧ Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    Invisible Inc has tons of story. All of it is in the cyberpunk worldbuilding and colorful characters. Did you stop to read the text? There's an entire history of the decline of states and the rise of the megacorps that forms the backdrop against which all the characters (main and archive versions) have their own individual backstories. If you like cyberpunk, this is actually pretty decent stuff. It's not the most original, but its as competent as I'd expect from the genre.

The gameplay doesn't change all that much? You're probably used to playing on the easy settings and stayed with what you know and didn't learn new approaches. At the highest difficulty settings, when you're tight on credits and equipment, each character plays completely differently.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. thesheeepgender: ⚧ Arcane

thesheeep
    Parrots:
    Played through the game as well, but I don't see what the fuzz is all about.

It isn't bad, for sure.
    But I found it very short and had 0 desire to play it again. I felt there just was no point in replaying. The story is over and in contrast to FTL, also a short game, I don't see what a new game would actually offer.

Quite honestly, games that are only interesting at the highest difficulty settings (or have mechanics that only make any difference in those) have a very serious design problem.
    I'm not talking about challenging here, I'm really talking about interesting.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Gordgender: ⚧ Arcane

Gord
    Parrots:
    Ok, me using "backstory" in that sentence was probably stupid, since I'm not talking about the setting, which seems a decent enough cyberpunk one.
    Clearly though one doesn't play the game for the game's story unfolding while you are playing it, since there is basically none. Not necessarily a problem - but that's one potential motivation gone.

Maybe, but if I never reach that point because I get bored long before, something's obviously not working for me.
    The game was fun to play for a couple of hours and I still fire it up occasionally when I feel that itch, but I just can't muster enough interest to keep playing for more than very short bursts.
    Guess I just had hoped for something more given that it seems to have a good rep with many people here.

Maybe I'll try the expansion if it's on sale for a good price, but so far the overall impression is a bit meh...

^ Top  
  5. oasis789gender: ⚧ Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    Well, if you don't like it, you don't like it. No point if you simply don't enjoy the game, just play something else.

My point is simply that

1) There is a story that unfolds and that story is pretty decent cyberpunk, but it's not the focus of the game. If you were expecting this to be a Deus Ex, you will be disappointed, it's more like FTL or XCOM (hence why it belongs in this strategy forum), the replayability is not about narrative branching but gameplay.

2) The gameplay is varied enough to keep me interested in playing over and over, to experiment and try new approaches. And the game itself supports whatever playstyle you prefer since you can toggle pretty much every difficulty setting you like and completely change the character of the game.

^ Top  
  6. oasis789gender: ⚧ Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    If you don't find the game interesting, then don't play it, but I don't think I am saying anything particularly controversial that one cannot complain of being bored when playing on tutorial mode. This is, after all, a strategy game - interesting and challenging go hand in hand.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. spectregender: ⚧ Arcane

spectre
    Parrots:
    If you don't like the base game, the expansion won't really do anything for you.
    The new programs and agents are nice for everyone, rest of the content is mostly for vets who want to see new stuff and added challenge.
    It also adds a bit of clutter in the items and mods, which is a shame because the base game was quite elegant in this regard.

^ Top  
  8. Gordgender: ⚧ Arcane

Gord
    Parrots:
    I don't completely dislike it, I just lack the motivation to go on.
    Then again, that's probably not that different...

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Jason Lianggender: ⚧ Liturgist

Jason Liang
    Parrots:
    I think your criticisms are valid, if quite pessimistic (i.e. you don't seem to enjoy the many things Invisible Inc does do very well).

The game's content and scope is quite limited, even for a rogue. And the gameplay stagnants eventually for most players. It isn't endlessly replayable.

But I think most players find this game enjoyable for about the first 30 hours. It doesn't sound like you got there.

^ Top  
  10. Gordgender: ⚧ Arcane

Gord
    Parrots:
    I can appreciate the concept of the game - it has a tight and focused design and what it does, it does well.
    If it is able to motivate other players for longer time, then that's great for them, for me it was just lacking something after I had finished it for the first time.
    I guess I will take it out once in a while and play for as long as it keeps my attention - which is not that different from other roguelite/-likes in that vein.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. spectregender: ⚧ Arcane

spectre
    Parrots:
    I would agree, the game's not really good for a whole day session for gaming, but for me it works well when I only have 1-2h of free time. It's often possible to speedrun a full playthrough, or at least get something done.
    The game was good for around 200h, counting early access, but near the end I was mostly there to complete the achievements. Not a bad result.

^ Top  
  12. Nostaljadedgender: ⚧ Learned

Nostaljaded
    Parrots:
    Quoted here for new players' easy future reference.

Recommend to get the 'UI_Tweaks' mod for QOL improvements (from either Steam workshop or Klei forums)

Here's my other concurrent mods:
    Archived_Portraits
    Guard_Portraits_Fix
    Rescueable_Archive_Agents

Tip: Avoid setting the 'Rewinds' > 5 on gamestart to retain the game challenge while still catering for mouse mis-clicks.
    I played @ 3 whenever the itch returns.

^ Top  
  13. Zombragender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    $6 on Steam sale, always was vaguely interested, grabbed.

• incline incline x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  14. mwnn85gender: ⚧ Educated

mwnn85
    Parrots:
    I quite enjoyed this - well worth a go.
    There's similarities with Shadow Watch but I thought this was far better.
    I think it's the best game that Klei have made so far.
    Difficulty cracks up nicely as the levels progress, the threat level gets higher and more enemies/obstacles are introduced.
    Quite tense - do you chance acquiring all the loot or bolt for the exit?

Downsides: it's far too short and ends rather abruptly with a disappointing non-ending.
    Show Spoiler
    Was expecting some resolution to the story; I really expected to have to fight the machine next.
    But's it's just a big sandbox like FTL, designed to be replayed across the difficulty modes, over and over

Didn't bother grinding to unlock all the characters.
    The concept deserves further expansion/revision.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. I'm With Her SausageInYourFacegender: ⚧ for prison Arcane Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    For me this is definitely in my top five games for the lonely island.

I can (and do) replay this over and over; even though (or maybe because) I'm a scrub and have never finished it on the highest diffculty. The random generation always leads to new challenges, you never know what the game throws at you and you need to adapt. The new features added by the DLC only add to that. Different kinds of agents lead to different playstyles with different priorities.

On my last playthroughs I experimented a bit with Archive Prism and Archive Monster. Her build-in cloak and his teleport should in theory be a very powerful combination but I was struggling to make a lot of use of it. The teleport thing is not quite as useful to me as it appears and relying on Prisms Cloak is amazing in early game but will fuck you over on higher difficulties, when it fails as soon as a random guard runs into you and you are all out of rewinds.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    • Goldfist Goldfist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)