Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Squad Tactics Invisible Inc.

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by Ulminati, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Ulminatigender: ⚧ Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Looks like Klei (Don't Starve, Shank, Mark of the Ninja) is at it again. A trailer just popped up for their next game:

Getting a bit of an Evil Genius vibe from the graphics. Mark of the ninja was a quite pleasant sneak 'em up, so it'll be interesting to see what they can do with isometric, turn-based squad stealth. There's an alpha out on steams for those into that sort of thing. I prefer my games t be closer to release before parting with my jewgold.

^ Top  
  2. Eyeballgender: ⚧ Arcane

Eyeball
    Parrots:
    None of Klei's games have been worth a pint of lukewarm piss. Good presentation, sub-par gameplay. This appears to be more of the same.

^ Top  
  3. Abu Antargender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Abu Antar
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Klei are becoming one of my favorite game development studios. I did not like Shank 2 but Shank, Don't Starve and Mark of the Ninja were all good games. It's nice to see a studio trying to make games in different genres. it doesn't hurt that most of them have been really enjoyable.

^ Top  
  4. Malakalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Malakal
    Parrots:
    I liked Mark of the Ninja, found it interesting and short enough to actually finish the game - half of that probably comes from the nice graphical design.

^ Top  
  5. m_s0gender: ⚧ Arcane

m_s0
    Parrots:
    This is just Incognita with a new name
    http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-turn-based-stealth-strategy-from-klei.86293/

^ Top  
  6. victimgender: ⚧ Savant Possibly Retarded Vatnik

victim
    Parrots:
    Don't have experience with their previous games, but I got the early alpha and so far this is EXACTLY how I feel on this one. The presentation totally sucked me in, but its not fun to play as of now and I'm not sure what they could do outside of a total revamp. This game has a ton of cool ideas so if it doesn't get better it will be a true waste IMO.

Name change was a plus but they just sprang it out of nowhere.

^ Top  
  7. victimgender: ⚧ Savant Possibly Retarded Vatnik

victim
    Parrots:
    After realizing that its a silly pun I had to totally rethink my stance on the new name

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. ColColgender: ⚧ Arcane

ColCol
    Parrots:
    They are making some pretty big changes, from the update: (http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/35360-surprise-update/)

^ Top  
  9. Angthorongender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman RPG Codex Staff

Angthoron
    Parrots:
    Might be for the best. Combat was very XComey, now the focus would be more on planning, I suppose. Will have to try and see how it works. Bribing kinda makes sense as well.

^ Top  
  10. circgender: ⚧ Arcane

circ
    Parrots:
    Hope this is TB, couldn't tell from the video. MotN was eeh, so so. Sucked that you had to play through it once to do an actual ghost walkthrough.

^ Top  
  11. Angthorongender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman RPG Codex Staff

Angthoron
    Parrots:
    It's TB, yeah.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. The_scorpiongender: ⚧ Liturgist

The_scorpion
    Parrots:
    interesting premise

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Gondolingender: ⚧ Arcane

Gondolin
    Parrots:
    Still interested in this, mainly because of the TB aspect.

^ Top  
  14. 7h30ngender: ⚧ Scholar

7h30n
    Parrots:
    Status report after playing the new update for some time.

Tl;dr; Overall the update is a substantial improvement and the game is really fun to play.

Wall of text (open)
    Stealth is forced and necessary right from the start since the combat is very lethal and you don't have much time to react when spotted. Although I wonder if this system allows for really easy plays when loaded with guns, but I wasn't in a position to amass weapons so I guess it doesn't.
    Player actions are now tied to movement points (but it seems to me like some item descriptions call them action points) and every action now costs 1 point, there are no free actions. Attack has it's own special point and is used only to allow 1 attack per turn for character. I guess that's fine, obviously I would be more satisfied with aforementioned full blown AP/TU system.
    All characters are now silent by default and run can be toggled as the first action to gain AP. I think it's a bit weird you have to commit to a run right at the start, instead of being just another movement stance which you can mix and match. They probably want to force the player to commit and plan beforehand.

Guards can be tracked through fog of war using the noise, but it's a bit pointless since the game marks their exact path based on noise with yellow arrows.
    Visible patrol routes (which will be traversed after your turn) are drawn with red arrows even if you don't see the guard.
    Each tile that is in line of sight of AI (cameras, guards, etc.) is colored red which is fine since in most cases you can also see the object that has LOS except in very rare cases.
    All this creates a very quick gameplay and you can make significant progress every turn. This all ties into the alarm system.

Alarm system starts at level 0 and after every 5 turns the level increases adding new security measures. Player is always under pressure and must make the most out of each turn. Getting detected increases the alarm progress meter and there are ways to decrease it (although the level itself cannot be decreased).

The remaining two systems are mainframe mode (hacking) and character inventory and skills.
    Mainframe mode is a bit changed. Computers now give finite CPU points which you use to hack things. There are some programs which can be used for scouting the map, distractions etc. The big thing are the AI programs which are tied to alarm levels and certain hackable things. They are quite diverse and can be quite nasty. You can disable them with CPU points, but in most cases you can be prepared for them since they are labeled when hacking something that will trigger them. I would prefer if the label remained but without disclosing the name of the program which will be triggered.
    Characters have inventories and can exchange items. Certain weapons (sniper rifles) are only usable by a certain character, the rest can be used by anyone. There is also looting of the bodies (enemies usually have passcards). Each character can level up and can acquire augmentations. Leveling grants skills which are permanent passive bonuses (like extra AP) while augmentations are items which when installed take an item slot permanently and grant bonuses on certain actions. Pretty basic stuff at the moment (although the augmentations have more imaginative effects).
    Other characters can be hired when found on a level and they stay with you as long as you can pay their fee after each level.

Various enemies were added: psy troops (can psy scan parts of the map), ghost troops (invisible to the player unless close), robots (can't hear but can't be KO-ed) etc.
    Most enemy types are tied to their Corporations with unique level styles. On top of that, levels now have objectives like hacking a main server, stealing a USB, uploading a virus etc.

The main problem I have with the game at the moment is the visual clutter. There is just too much stuff displayed. The levels look really good and detailed but it all gets in the way. Although the perspective is isometric I need to do a lot of rotating (fixed 4 angles, like Commandos) to see certain things.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  15. Make America Great Again ERYFKRADgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    It's pretty fun, though it's easy to restart levels if you screw up badly enough.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. 7h30ngender: ⚧ Scholar

7h30n
    Parrots:
    Yeah, it feels more like a highscore based game. How far can you go without dying.
    One moment you are breezing through the levels then in another you can't see the light because it's blocked by thousands of problems. Kinda like real life :)
    I'm not sure I like that though, it feels too easy or too hard that way.

^ Top  
  17. J1Mgender: ⚧ Arcane

J1M
    Parrots:
    I regret buying Mark of the Ninja.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Abu Antargender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Abu Antar
    Parrots:
    Was my Game of the Year when it released. I own it on both Xbox 360 and PC.

^ Top  
  19. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/08/invisible-inc-early-access-mods-interview/

^ Top  
  20. Ulminatigender: ⚧ Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Some youtuber got his hands on a preview build of this and did some let's play videos. He's pretty awful at the game, but it looks rather sweet nonetheless.

^ Top  
  21. ColColgender: ⚧ Arcane

ColCol
    Parrots:
    Take in mind the coming early access release will differ from those videos. (in the way missions work).

I'm not sure this game will be received too well in the end. The failure rate is too high. In x-com you have groups of people. There was room for failure, room to lose several people or even a group. Invisible Inc on the other hand, two starting party members, each killed in one attack. Lose one and you're pretty much fucked.

^ Top  
  22. I'm With Her Metrogender: ⚧ for prison Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Parrots:
    Still haven't played it despite owning for a year.

^ Top  
  23. Abu Antargender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Abu Antar
    Parrots:
    I have only dabbled with it a little bit. It's msotly interesting to see how it has evolved.

^ Top  
  24. victimgender: ⚧ Savant Possibly Retarded Vatnik

victim
    Parrots:
    I am in the same boat having only dabbled over the time I have I owned it but I am encouraged that it has changed/evolved because the very early version I sampled was a little disappointing.

^ Top  
  25. LESS T_Tgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    Now it's on Steam Early Access.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/243970/

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)