Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Introducing No Truce With The Furies, "a story-driven isometric RPG about being a total failure"

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
This thing sounds more interesting than anything in gooood while.

Gambler

Augur
I'm thinking the same thing.

Finally, someone trying something original again. I don't even remember when was the last time I looked at a website of an upcoming RPG and got positively curious about how it will look like and work. Maybe, when I learned about Serpent in the Staglands? Maybe. And nothing in a long while before that

Additionally, this game has so many ideas I always wanted to see implemented. From restricted combat, to senses, to concepts inventory...

Their blog has a lot of interesting info. For example, notes on how they're dealing with weather and shadows in a pre-rendered environment.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
So i can tune myself with "neurochems", huh? Sounds familiar.

Looks very interesting, but probably more like adventure with stats, which is not a bad thing. I'll probably miss direct combat though.
Do want, please continue.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So i can tune myself with "neurochems", huh? Sounds familiar.

Looks very interesting, but probably more like adventure with stats, which is not a bad thing. I'll probably miss direct combat though.
Do want, please continue.
Why can't it be called a role playing game if it doesn't have combat? It might feel like an adventure game because we are used to how they play but that doesn't mean that this game won't be a role playing game. If you are allowed to customize your character and the game reacts to that, it's not just a good old adventure game in my book.

Not that I have ever planned on making a game but something like this game has been in my mind for years. I hope they can deliver something good out of this concept and prove my brain right.

Drowed

Arcane
Why can't it be called a role playing game if it doesn't have combat?

Mostly because of the genre's origins, tabletop wargames and all that. By taking the combat from RPGs you are taking a key feature of the genre, and when we do this on the tabletop RPGs, we change the name to "Live", as it's something else.

In the same way, when you change the "G" in the RPG, it's another type of game. The "RP" isn't the only important part of the definition of an RPG.

But regardless of the genre, the game looks pretty interesting.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Game looks promising, original, pitching is weird (?) a little, more likely nervously\histerically funny.
But what really interested me now, when we have none of actual content on our hands, is the studio name.
Fortress of Western World? Is it some king of irony on all that propaganda histeria in the Baltic countries, or does it indicate that they are victims of that propaganda?

PS Worldbuilding is interesting, although I don't get the feeling of what it will be.

PPS do Kurvitz's novel "Sacred and Terrible Air" has Russian translation?

Last edited:

Reapa

Doom Preacher
what"s with all these visual novels in rpg clothing? AoD at least had some combat...
i'm assuming it's also not party based. i really don't get all the hype.

Brocken Jr.

Arcane
Why can't it be called a role playing game if it doesn't have combat?

Mostly because of the genre's origins, tabletop wargames and all that. By taking the combat from RPGs you are taking a key feature of the genre, and when we do this on the tabletop RPGs, we change the name to "Live", as it's something else.

In the same way, when you change the "G" in the RPG, it's another type of game. The "RP" isn't the only important part of the definition of an RPG.

But regardless of the genre, the game looks pretty interesting.

But it's still a game where you play a role, right? What...IS an RPG, really?

hpstg

Savant
The way the developer speaks feels weird to me somehow. Either he's got no marketing experience at all and he tries to sound kewl, either he represents the actual spirit of the game which should be filled with constant cringe. I sincerely hope for #1.

P.S.: Don't publically call names the people who bet their coke-filled, hard-laundered money on your work.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Define "adventure-RPG".

I suppose it could be something where combat is not a central feature like it is in most RPG's (e.g. the game not centering around building the most effective murderparty). Where other forms of gameplay take precedence over it or are at least on an equal level of focus (collectively higher).

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Define "adventure-RPG".

I suppose it could be something where combat is not a central feature like it is in most RPG's (e.g. the game not centering around building the most effective murderparty). Where other forms of gameplay take precedence over it or are at least on an equal level of focus (collectively higher).
stop blurring the lines. if it has any combat it's an rpg. if the combat is real time it's an action rpg. if it doesn't have combat it's a visual novel or an adventure game. not every game has to be called an rpg just for the sake of calling it that.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
what"s with all these visual novels in rpg clothing? AoD at least had some combat...
It's mostly adventure-RPG. Hype is because of crazy amount C&C that they promised. No combat is better than bad combat.
does it have any character progression in terms of stats and/or itemization? does it feature xp? does it have anything other than c&c?

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
It's mostly adventure-RPG. Hype is because of crazy amount C&C that they promised. No combat is better than bad combat.
does it have any character progression in terms of stats and/or itemization? does it feature xp? does it have anything other than c&c?

A realistic skill system lets you develop original ideas using Conceptual Thinking, tune your nervous system with Electrochemistry, and become a disgrace to the uniform with Composure, a skill that lets you don your disco outfit to the maximum effect.

It’s a role playing game. We have 24 skills under 4 stats.

We have armour, lives, weapons etc. And you can die. But the action sequences are literature heavy showdowns.

Reapa

Doom Preacher

A realistic skill system lets you develop original ideas using Conceptual Thinking, tune your nervous system with Electrochemistry, and become a disgrace to the uniform with Composure, a skill that lets you don your disco outfit to the maximum effect.

It’s a role playing game. We have 24 skills under 4 stats.

We have armour, lives, weapons etc. And you can die. But the action sequences are literature heavy showdowns.
so it does have combat. the superior kind even.

Luzur

Good Sir
Sounds like something a bit different, and the dev seems suitably butthurt already which is a good sign. Will follow with interest.

v3YTQrj.jpg

I wonder if these pics are burned by now :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom