Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Into the Breach: Advanced Edition - mech tactics game from FTL devs with Chris Avellone writing

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
DXVawM9VQAAwL9_.jpg:large

If you can find a way to extract portraits from the game files I'd love to have these for the Codex avatar gallery.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:incloosive:

It's probably accurate though, being set in the future and all.
No wonder that the world went to shit and all it remains are bunch of islands.

Is this one of those games that needs a patch or a mod to have at least some white people?

DXVawM9VQAAwL9_.jpg:large
Eh?
The first and the last characters are white (well, not pale, but still, the first one has some Swedish or Norwegian name and the last one looks whitish to me). Taking into account the overall ratio of population on the planet (of which white or whitish people are currently about 20%), that seems appropriate.
I know many Westerners don't like it, but being white does absolutely not put you in a majority, at least when considering the entire planet, which I think the game does. They even got the more females than males part right.

Usually, I'd call bullshit on this in a game that clearly plays in a "known" area (it would be bullshit if the game was set in central Europe), but for this game I think it actually makes sense.
The first one is a Jap in my game,the last one is a half jap. As for the 20% ....well white people are like 80% of the people that give money for pointless shit like video games.

Anyway the game is too boring for me to give a shit about how racist it is.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Silva

Arcane
Freeze Titans make the game too easy. With Bethany it gets "so pointless why am I playing this?" stuff. Finished it by perfecting all 4 islands.

baturinsky

Arcane
I'm done hitting the "abandon timeline" button almost as often as the "next turn" button. I'm restarting the whole game 8 out of 10 times before I can finish the first two islands perfectly.
If you're going to give me a puzzle, at least make sure it can be solved.

Why the hell am I still playing this shit?
:negative:

You do not have to play perfectly. You are supposed to bleed some grid once in a while.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Duur ur game is too popamole with autohealing and quest compass. Too easy!

Huuur I can't faceroll through your game with a perfect score every single time. Too hard!

Goddamn kids these days.

Cross

Arcane
Having played some more, the game's flaws are becoming a bit more obvious.

The climactic HQ defense missions are counterintuitively the easiest missions in the game. The reason for this is because they spawn few enemies, presumably to compensate for the presence of a boss. But that goes against the entire design of the game, which is all about overwhelming you with enemies who are dumb, but superior in number (and keep spawning). Keeping a single enemy at bay isn't a challenge, and them being a boss makes no difference.

The system for unlockng squads is terrible. In FTL replays were encouraged because you could get new ships either by finding them or finishing the game with a certain ship. Here, the unlock system discourages replays. The achievements needed to unlock squads are so specific or even counterintuitive that you're unlikely to get them without meta-gaming, and they only count when using one specifiic squad, so you're much better off starting a new game for the sole purpose of getting into one battle to earn the achievement and then restarting. It's busywork. Busywork with a fun combat system, but busywork nonetheless.

The lack of different elevation levels is disappointing. Flying units would be more interesting if they could occupy the space over other units, buildings and mountains.

Last edited:

schaltbock

Novice
I just can't help myself. It triggers me!

The flame mech squad is probably the best choice if you want to minimize causalities since you can move enemies around so easily. Remember that buildings don't take flame damage so you can directly target them with the ranged mech to push incipient attacks away. The big downside is their limited damage so you'll likely want to pass over missions where you have to kill seven enemies or more.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just can't help myself. It triggers me!

The flame mech squad is probably the best choice if you want to minimize causalities since you can move enemies around so easily. Remember that buildings don't take flame damage so you can directly target them with the ranged mech to push incipient attacks away. The big downside is their limited damage so you'll likely want to pass over missions where you have to kill seven enemies or more.
It was more of a joke, but thanks anyway ;)

Nah, the game just isn't nowhere near as fun as FTL. On one hand, way too simple, on the other hand, way too random. Really not my thing.
I had my 8-12 hours with it or what, and I will certainly never come back to it.

baturinsky

Arcane
lTG46DN.png

P.S. If it's not obvious, I have won by sacrificing last Mec to save last bar of grid.

Last edited:

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The achievements needed to unlock squads are so specific or even counterintuitive that you're unlikely to get them without meta-gaming

I hate to break it to you, but if you don't pick up 1-2 of those over the course of a couple normal play-throughs, it probably means you suck.

Cross

Arcane
The achievements needed to unlock squads are so specific or even counterintuitive that you're unlikely to get them without meta-gaming

I hate to break it to you, but if you don't pick up 1-2 of those over the course of a couple normal play-throughs, it probably means you suck.
Sure, a few, but the majority simply aren't obtainable unless you're meta-gaming.

Sucking has nothing to do with it. Quite the opposite. Take for example the various achievements for blocking/absorbing attacks x number of times during one mission. This means that if you avoid or redirect enemy attacks, you're unlikely to earn them.

The fact that they're tied to specific squads is the major culprit here. It means that 90% of the time, even if you fulfilled the requirement, it doesn't count because you weren't playing as the right squad.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
ITB has also fallen into this trap with the sending a pilot mechanic.

I would agree except that an experienced pilot really doesn't help you very much. It's just a minor consolation prize for losing. It's not like you can grind 10 failed campaigns and stack up bonuses until you win.

Black

Arcane
They don't die in lava/water but still can't attack from them and catch on fire in lava.

baturinsky

Arcane
I'm thinking... Is it possible to have similar puzzle-like gameplay with countering and redirecting enemy attacks, but symmetrical?

In ITB sides are very different - one attacks instantly, but has static structures that it has to defend. Other has delayed attack, but has reinforcements.

Is it possible to make gameplay that have both sides play by same rules, so it can have PvP, for example? Would be cool for some game about martial artists.

Silva

Arcane
I'm thinking... Is it possible to have similar puzzle-like gameplay with countering and redirecting enemy attacks, but symmetrical?

In ITB sides are very different - one attacks instantly, but has static structures that it has to defend. Other has delayed attack, but has reinforcements.

Is it possible to make gameplay that have both sides play by same rules, so it can have PvP, for example? Would be cool for some game about martial artists.
You would have to change the game radically. I think a more plausible PvP setup would be keeping the asymetrical play, but having the players swap turns with each faction (mechs vs monsters). Not unlike asymetrical cardgames (Eg: Android).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom