Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Into the Breach: Advanced Edition - mech tactics game from FTL devs with Chris Avellone writing

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I've been trying to get the Judoka achievements for a few hours now and fuck that. Blocking 5 damage and is so goddamn luck based, those fuckers purposefully avoid my grabber. And I can't them kill themselves 4x either, tho that shouldn't be too bad on hard, when you get some plus damages on your science dude.

Arnust

Savant
I've been trying to get the Judoka achievements for a few hours now and fuck that. Blocking 5 damage and is so goddamn luck based, those fuckers purposefully avoid my grabber. And I can't them kill themselves 4x either, tho that shouldn't be too bad on hard, when you get some plus damages on your science dude.
It's pretty simple to get the friendly fire one especially after upgrading the passive. And as for the blocking chiv, it's being hard for me too but the way to go probably is to use Abe, the pilot that grants armor besides the Judo mech and then just go full meatshield. Ideally in an island where Fireflies spawn, who are the easier ones to body block.

---

Arcane
The block damage achievement is as simple as the other, since you can use friendly fire as well.
The damage is blocked when it's 1 point, it's not luck based at all. You have to use the humanoid mech, of course.

Just set easy difficulty, if you have troubles.

Silva

Arcane
Judoka are broken, unfortunately. Judo mech nage-waza is too restrictive, the artillery is more a threat than anything (and the cost to make it ignore buildings is prohibitive) and the gravity mech is shit (the teleporter from the Flamers is 10x better). Only really useful thing is the passive ability for increasing Vek friendly-fire damage, but even that is circunstancial. If you play them, you're self-imposing a challenge, really.

Well, at least they teach you awareness about enemy lines-of-(friendly)fire.

IHaveHugeNick , have you actually played the game? it's fairly fun and addictive, and even the 1 hour playthrough has it's appeal, I think (though I agree they should expand it, optionally, as you pointed above). Give it a try. If you don't like it, you can refund within 2 hours.

Last edited:

---

Arcane
Dunno, the first time I beat the game in hard (well, the first time I beat the game at all) I used the Judokas :M
The third time too :M

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
IHaveHugeNick , have you actually played the game? it's fairly fun and addictive, and even the 1 hour playthrough has it's appeal, I think (though I agree they should expand it, optionally, as you pointed above). Give it a try. If you don't like it, you can refund within 2 hours.

Played it, beaten it, got bored with it, all in about 2 days. The best I can describe this experience, is by saying that ITB brilliantly achieves what developers set out to do, except what they set out to do is fucking retarded. You start, you have great fun, it seems like best thing ever for a few hours. Then you beat it couple of times, you open up most of the squads and finally it hits you - this is it, the game has nothing left to offer beyond trying to beat the same 4 maps with random squads.

I actually like the idea of bite-sized strategy game - Offworld Trading Company did a great job with that idea, for example. But you need more than depth than ITB to really pull it off.

Silva

Arcane
Dunno, the first time I beat the game in hard (well, the first time I beat the game at all) I used the Judokas :M
The third time too :M
But they take too much time to get good at their own thing, and even when they do there are arguably better teams at it. Have you played Rusting Hulks, Flame Behemoths or that Freeze team yet?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
If anyone want some deep turn based strategy game with a lot possible tactics that need a lot of thought and at least average intelligence,i would recommend this.
29948-chessmaster-8000-windows-front-cover.jpg

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
But can I LARP in it?
Don't you see the guy on the cover?! Does he not look like a man LARPing as a general or archmage leading his hordes to victory? Can't you see the glorious knights coming from the flanks,pikemen charging in to the enemy lines calling your name or the assassins running along the field biting their time to strike the enemy form the back???

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
Why did they get rid of the best part of FTL? The little choice segments it had, now there's no plot or choice at all

lightbane

Arcane
So, finally completed it on Hard. Not recommended, it's a slugfest (heh) and the game forces you to lose Grid all the time. Unlocked all of the main squads at least. I also discovered that editing files to unlock the secret squad is really easy to do. Unfortunately, the secret squad sucks.

Also, seeing that the special mechs are cyborg aliens, that reminds me of something missing: Where is the option of using as pilots mentally unbalanced teenagers that can explode at any point? I mean, the game does have bio-horrors as a mech-type, for not to mention that's a common feature of mecha genre.
:troll:

Silva

Arcane
So, finally completed it on Hard. Not recommended, it's a slugfest (heh) and the game forces you to lose Grid all the time. Unlocked all of the main squads at least. I also discovered that editing files to unlock the secret squad is really easy to do. Unfortunately, the secret squad sucks.
They should ditch the difficulty settings and swap it for lenght settings instead. "Fast game" would be as is, while "long game" would raise the requirements to hit the final boss, maybe doing 4 islands instead of 2. But this would only work if they add at least a couple more islands through expansion, and perhaps more enemy types.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Blew up a mountain and found a strange pod inside. :lol:

2018-03-09%2013_59_11-Into%20the%20Breach.jpg

That's a very good special. I found the Zoltan yesterday, also in an RST mountain, and his is also nice, because shields are way better than HP anyway. He kind of ruined my fire squad playthrough since I needed to sacrifice someone or an objective to get in position to secure his pod, but it was worth it.

Still Vek webs piss me off so much I cannot help but to use whatsher name who is immune to them

Silva

Arcane
Someone at reddit made a mod to change the Judoka throw. It makes perfect sense and should be implemented by the devs (he swapped the "allies imune" upgrade for increasing the range of the throw):

DaringJoyousCockroach-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is this one of those games that needs a patch or a mod to have at least some white people?

DXVawM9VQAAwL9_.jpg:large
Eh?
The first and the last characters are white (well, not pale, but still, the first one has some Swedish or Norwegian name and the last one looks whitish to me). Taking into account the overall ratio of population on the planet (of which white or whitish people are currently about 20%), that seems appropriate.
I know many Westerners don't like it, but being white does absolutely not put you in a majority, at least when considering the entire planet, which I think the game does. They even got the more females than males part right.

Usually, I'd call bullshit on this in a game that clearly plays in a "known" area (it would be bullshit if the game was set in central Europe), but for this game I think it actually makes sense.

Last edited:

Arnust

Savant
Half the Corporation leaders are also white (RST people just seem mostly weathered tan) and it's not clear about of what the composition of the remaining 4,6 billion people is exactly, no wonder.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom