Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Into the Breach: Advanced Edition - mech tactics game from FTL devs with Chris Avellone writing

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
In fact most 50+ hour games these days are interactive romance novels or MMOWTFOMGBBQRPGs. Both utterly shit.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
It's just a relatively casual turn-based game that you can play from time to time to make some "runs".
You know games are not only good if they last 50+ hours..

That depends entirely on the genre. I don't mind a good shooter or a story-driven game, or a platformer, that only lasts 20 hours and delivers satisfying experience.

Strategy games, though? The whole point of a strategy game is to be highly replayable, easy to learn, hard to master kind of thing, so you'd want to keep playing and keep trying different things.

Strategy game that isn't good for multiple playthroughs, isn't good for anything. Especially a 1 hour strategy for god's sake. FTL can still be immensely satisfying even after clocking 300+ hours. This thing here starts feeling repetitive after couple of runs.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I give you that it doesn't reach FTL's greatness and it lacks in content in comparison.
The thing is though, it's not meant to be played 3-4 times consecutively... at least imo. You play 1-2 runs and come back to it after a couple of days when you want to try something new and so on.
So yeah for the hardcore gamers that will go "all in", it won't provide too much of a challenge

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
First mission...
3iX0Bm8.png
Oh, and it is the ONLY grid source on the entire island.
And no, shields for some reason do not protect against land mines, oh and flying enemies also trigger land mines...
I'm done hitting the "abandon timeline" button almost as often as the "next turn" button. I'm restarting the whole game 8 out of 10 times before I can finish the first two islands perfectly.
If you're going to give me a puzzle, at least make sure it can be solved.

Why the hell am I still playing this shit?
:negative:

GrainWetski

Arcane
That's exactly what everybody is saying though. It's a competently made turn-based shovelware, good for playing on your phone for a couple of hours while taking a dump. Fun for a while, but ultimately it's is nothing special and it would struggle to move 5k units if it wasn't coming off FTL hype.
You should go to the doctor if your dumps last a couple of hours.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
That mission looks easy AF. Lots of mines to splodinate the bugs. Lots of water to push them into. AND a powerplant. Pretty ideal really.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
why are you complaining? you shoot the left firefly, get the plane there, smoke the next bug. And You are fine.
:lol:
The game gets me so enraged I didn't even see that.
Guess I should just quit for the day after the 8th time or so some actually impossible stuff showed up.

No, shoot the right bug to move the one on the left over a spawn and make him shoot the front bug. That's also fewer tiles for the plane to move into position to smoke the right bug.
That isn't even possible (not enough movement to shoot the right bug).

But this small episode notwithstanding, I'm pretty burned out on this game already. Won't even finish trying out all the squads - kinda had to force myself to give the Rust squad a try.
FTL you could play and play and play and it would always be fun.

This game basically has 5 different missions (+final) slightly randomized each time, with the only thing keeping interest up being your own squad.
The four islands are enough for the first 10 hours or so, but will go on your nerves quickly after that.
And don't get me started on the shitty kind of randomness this game has...

After FTL, I guess the result could only disappoint. But it is sad that this could have been so much better if there was just more to it.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
That mission looks easy AF. Lots of mines to splodinate the bugs. Lots of water to push them into. AND a powerplant. Pretty ideal really.
Have you even played the fucking game?! You are talking total shit now. On this map he will loose at least three power because of poor level design.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Have you even played the fucking game?! You are talking total shit now. On this map he will loose at least three power because of poor level design.
To be fair, Stavrophore did offer a solution that would've actually worked.
Of course, that was just the first round and the mine and building placement is totally ridiculous.
Any next turn actually might've ended up not solvable ;)

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron

understanding the AI priorities

Is that confirmed?
Always seemed rather random to me, or maybe "guided" randomness, in that the monsters do know the best move (or have their priorities) but end up doing something else regardless.
I would say he just got fairly lucky.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
To be fair, Stavrophore did offer a solution that would've actually worked.
Of course, that was just the first round and the mine and building placement is totally ridiculous.
Any next turn actually might've ended up not solvable ;)
That happens all the time.

You want a game that is always easy, always winnable, you never have to lose anything or make sacrifices? How about a quest compass telling you which moves to make?

Might I suggest Mass Effect 3 on Story Mode?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
You clearly never played Mass Effect 3, it ends with you losing absolutely everything you won in the entire trilogy ;)

And of course I want games that are always winnable.
Winnable by me doing the right moves.
What's the point in even playing otherwise?
You can easily win ITB by making the right moves in the majority of cases. Almost never felt cheated by this game (although it has happened)

FTL, nope. Better keep rolling that RNG dice and hope to get the correct sequence of systems or ur fukt.

Silva

Arcane
fantadomat I don't usually agree to the Git Gut crowd, but yours seems to be obviously the case. Just admit you didn't got the game. There's no shame in this. Here, why don't you try this. Looks more your style:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Blitzkrieg squad is pretty fun once you get the hang of electrocuting half the map, except when I ended up frying my rock-thrower and its pilot because I didn't realized electricity move in diagonales too :|.

Edit: Apparently it doesn't, but I still don't understand why I lost him on that map.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
You can easily win ITB by making the right moves in the majority of cases. Almost never felt cheated by this game (although it has happened)
Right, so I must've been high in all those situations where the game just throws 4 monsters at you, each attacking a different building, with no way to save all of them.
Or three of those webbers just swarming on your main pilot, with no possible method to get rid of all of them.
Or half the map full with mines and all the monsters positioned just so that you cannot touch at least two of them going for your mission objectives.

Have two or three of those happen to you in a run and that's it, chances to still win the final mission are so low you are better off just restarting.
And that pretty much sums up about half of my runs.

FTL, nope. Better keep rolling that RNG dice and hope to get the correct sequence of systems or ur fukt.
Bullshit.
I can reliably win almost every single attempt in FTL when starting with a ship that doesn't suck and sticking to "safe bet" weapons.
Of course, if you take some rubbish ship (like Stealth B), you are extremely reliant on luck, but then again, that's why you'd pick that ship, no?
And also, where's the fun in always picking the "safe bet" options? Right.

In ITB, while there are obviously stronger and weaker squads, you are at the full mercy of the RNG, with no options open to you to make any meaningful decisions during a run.
There's just no real depth here once you've seen all the missions. And that's fairly soon, you just need to visit all islands like twice.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
There is a subtle variable in action here, which is the time/investment required to upgrade your team to a competent enough status so they can do their "thing". For example, playing the Steel Judocas now and they're really crap because it takes a fairly long time til they can actually do their Judo. Meanwhile the Rust Hulks and Blitz git gud really fast. Even the first team (Rifters?) are better in this regard.

I like this game's mechs/pilots/islands synergies much more than FTL, even if the later can be considered the overall better game. And the inevitable expansion/DLC will only amplify the possibilities.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Oh my god, yes! DLC please, add 5 new weapons, 2 new mechs, maybe even another island to make a playthrough last 55 minutes instead of 50 minutes. Think of the possibilities!

Thinking...thinking...thinking...nope I've got nothing sorry.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Oh my god, yes! DLC please, add 5 new weapons, 2 new mechs, maybe even another island to make a playthrough last 55 minutes instead of 50 minutes. Think of the possibilities!

Thinking...thinking...thinking...nope I've got nothing sorry.
But what if....you play the bugs?!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom