Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Interview with Urquhart at PC Gamer: PoE expansion to be released in 2 parts, TCG to be Kickstarted

Ninjerk

Arcane
I hope they put something more in Act 1.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Damn, and I thought PoE would lead to some better expansions like MotB, especially with the soul metaphysics.

It's like Obsidian is trying very hard to be and remain mediocre. They're not even aiming for "good for what it is", but "good for what it was".

Maybe I shouldn't have backed this.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Damn, and I thought PoE would lead to some better expansions like MotB, especially with the soul metaphysics.

It's like Obsidian is trying very hard to be and remain mediocre. They're not even aiming for "good for what it is", but "good for what it was".

Maybe I shouldn't have backed this.

Who says it won't? Games can have more than one expansion.

Of course, it might be better to just do a sequel, which is what MotB really was anyway.

(BTW, when did game-expanding expansion packs suddenly become a bad thing? I thought "sequel expansions" were generally the more denigrated type of expansion, since they're well, just cheapo sequels)

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
So for those who've finished, does the ending hint/leave room for a further continuation of the story?

NN2 certainly did...

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
(BTW, when did game-expanding expansion packs suddenly become a bad thing? I thought "sequel expansions" were generally the more denigrated type of expansion, since they're well, just cheapo sequels)
Expectations changed. At some point "sequel expansions" were thought of as a bad thing because we expected engines and systems to change between "real sequels" to keep up with technological advancements, and for them to stay mostly the same between expansions. Not keeping up was lazy, cashing in. But nowadays I guess technology got better and there's really little need to change engines just to keep up with the developments in graphics, unless your audience are graphic whores.

But still, both types of "expansions" are ok, it depends really on expectations again.

I'm a story/C&Cfag. More dungeons/side quests/locations in the same style aren't my cup of tee, but a new story is. The game-expanding expansions sound more like the former, conservative approach, than Obsidian trying their hand at something new / experimental like they did with NWN2. More of the same isn't so nice when what you have is a mediocre version of what you really want.

Also, I don't replay games much, so after a playthrough, I might just never come back for a game-expanding expansion, while I'll be there for a story-continuing or new story expansion/sequel.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So wait a second, will backers get both parts of this expansion for free like promised or is Obsidian trying pull a fast one?

Both.

"We've always been planning to do an expansion and the way we're really looking at it is that it needs to be a meaty expansion," Urquhart explained. "It needs to be this old-school expansion, not some DLC that's two or three hours of gameplay. What it looks like we're going to do, because this kind of expansion can take a while, we're going to split the expansion into two parts. It's going to be one full story that will go from part one to part two, but it's going to be two parts and anyone from Kickstarter that contributed will get both parts. They'll get the full expansion, but the best part is that they'll be able to play it early. We should have an announcement coming up soon."

http://www.shacknews.com/article/89...ity-its-early-success-and-its-first-expansion

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom