Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Interview with Urquhart at PC Gamer: PoE expansion to be released in 2 parts, TCG to be Kickstarted

Deleted member 7219

(some of which was self-inflicted by Ziets thinking WOTC wouldn't let players bring down the Wall).
Wait, that was originally going to be an option in the game?
:rage:

I can't get a direct link, but it was a question he answered on his old Formspring page here. That page is also good to see what he thinks of Torment, Eternity, and a bunch of other RPGs that he worked on or was linked to. He actually says Obsidian were going to develop Baldur's Gate 3 in 2009, but Atari had cold feet and pulled the project. Thank goodness for that.

Art Vandelay

Prophet
"Uh,if only we could find a way to shut these rpg faggots up and make some money in the process...I know! Lets kickstarter a game we can call classic -back to the roots rpg ,but it wont really be that. Only the same Dragon Age crap ,only with better graphics? WOW yeah. I think thats a great idea. Lets!! Lets!!!"

Parsifarka

Arcane
They know Grimoire is coming so they need to rush the development and release an expansion before the neanderthal's work is completed and everyone forgets PoE. Can't blame them.

GloomFrost

Arcane
So wait a second, will backers get both parts of this expansion for free like promised or is Obsidian trying pull a fast one?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
So wait a second, will backers get both parts of this expansion for free like promised or is Obsidian trying pull a fast one?
If they were pulling a fast one I expect they would call them 2 separate expansions instead of "first expansion part 1 and 2". The wording sounds like it's written specifically so that backers will get both parts.

GloomFrost

Arcane
If they were pulling a fast one I expect they would call them 2 separate expansions instead of "first expansion part 1 and 2". The wording sounds like it's written specifically so that backers will get both parts.
Fair enough. Will see.

Tigranes

Arcane
If it's two big expansions and they will charge the backers for the second one, that's wonderful news (to have 2 expansions), but in that case the whole 'two parts' stuff would be a massive, idiotic PR flop from Feargus.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
If it really is an expansion split in two parts I can't see how the first part could end satisfyingly.

This is a bad idea.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
If it really is an expansion split in two parts I can't see how the first part could end satisfyingly.

This is a bad idea.

If it's 2 mini-expansions, that are self contained like a Durlags Tower then a separate werewolf Island thing it wouldn't be as bad. Even if there's an overarching narrative it still would be bad as long they aren't trying to end things on a cliffhanger, for example something like fighting the brother and sister in IWD2, in part one you gut the brother making it obvious in part 2 you're off to negotiate with/gut the sister.

Turjan

Arcane
If it's two big expansions and they will charge the backers for the second one, that's wonderful news (to have 2 expansions), but in that case the whole 'two parts' stuff would be a massive, idiotic PR flop from Feargus.
Yeah. I have to admit my first thought was something like "Oh look, they seem to want to get some more money from people who already dropped money on the expansion". But who knows.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Why do they still need to beg for money? Didn't they make enough profit to be financially independent?

One compelling reason is that taxes on crowdfunding are pretty limp (just enough to discourage big corporations from abusing it) and KickStarter commission is significantly less than retail.

Also a very ideal place to sell Collector's Editions and other items of special interest (party with Obsidian, yo). You can get people to shell out hundreds of dollars for stuff that the average Steam user wouldn't go for. The culture of Steam values ... value, not luxury.

For a company like Obsidian, its an almost flawless preordering system.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why do they still need to beg for money? Didn't they make enough profit to be financially independent?

They're not the ones Kickstarting the card game. They're licensing PoE to Chris Taylor and he has to fund it on his own.

This is a bad idea.

This. Remember Starcraft 2 and how well it all went...

That's not relevant. It's not a Throne of Bhaal-style sequel expansion. They're adding areas to the main game.

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

This is a bad idea.
If the first part is sufficiently self-contained or focused enough in terms of theme/plot I don't see why it wouldn't work alright.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

This is a bad idea.

This. Remember Starcraft 2 and how well it all went...

That's not relevant. It's not a Throne of Bhaal-style sequel expansion. They're adding areas to the main game.

A half assed work is a half assed work. I don't see this working or being worthwhile. Imagine MOTB split into two and then lumped together. I bet that no one sane would want do that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A half assed work is a half assed work. I don't see this working or being worthwhile. Imagine MOTB split into two and then lumped together. I bet that no one sane would want do that.

Again, this isn't that kind of expansion.

Tales of the Sword Coast for BG1 could be split into two or even three parts just fine.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

MotB is a single narrative, a campaign.

Tales of the Sword Coast for BG1 could be split into two or even three parts just fine.

Well YES. One is one the best games I have ever played, while other is some game I don't remember anything about. Nice comparison. Besides the game needs at least some sort rebalancing and well thought out mechanic additions to the system as the strategic depth is significantly lacking (initial impression). Even less than in IE games. Some stuff thrown together in few months won't do the trick here.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well YES. One is one the best games I have ever played, while other is some game I don't remember anything about. Nice comparison. Besides the game needs at least some sort rebalancing and well thought out mechanic additions to the system as the strategic depth is significantly lacking (initial impression). Even less than in IE games. Some stuff thrown together in few months won't do the trick here.
Pretty sure you are not the target audience for the expansions.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Pretty sure you are not the target audience for the expansions.

Huray or something...

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Well that's disappointing. I was hoping for a continuation, not something extra in the main campaign that forces you to replay the whole thing if you want to experience it.

Those kinds of expansions only work well for sandbox games like Elder Scrolls.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
TotSC converted your final save before fighting Sarevok into a savegame located at the expansion town when you installed it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom