Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Interview with Swen Vincke at PC Gamer

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The co-op focus has definitely made the game worse for me. I think the reason party and inventory management is such a pain is because they thought two people would be playing and organising their own stuff. Trying to sort out character's hotbars and inventories by clicking on the character portrait, then finding that same character in the inventory menu, is fucking ridiculous. Why couldn't they just copy every other party-based RPG that ever existed?
Just right click on a portrait.
There's no back-and-forth between the inventories though. If I open Char A, then Char B, then right-click Char A again, nothing will happen because Char A is already open in the background, hidden behind Char B. I think it should be brought forward.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
The co-op focus has definitely made the game worse for me. I think the reason party and inventory management is such a pain is because they thought two people would be playing and organising their own stuff. Trying to sort out character's hotbars and inventories by clicking on the character portrait, then finding that same character in the inventory menu, is fucking ridiculous. Why couldn't they just copy every other party-based RPG that ever existed?
There's no back-and-forth between the inventories though. If I open Char A, then Char B, then right-click Char A again, nothing will happen because Char A is already open in the background, hidden behind Char B. I think it should be brought forward.
For example, Character A picks up a looking glass but can't use it. Character B on the other hand can use it and you want to add it to the hotbar.

You select character A (left click), you right click to open up the inventory of char A and char B, you move the looking glass to char B. You left click on Char B and put the looking glass in the hotbar.

Is this needlessly complicated? Yes. Do I fucking care? Not really.

Deleted member 7219

That opens up the stats but doesn't change the hotbar.

neilsouth

Augur
Sven should ask PCGAMER "how it feels that your site scored 94 Dragon Age 2 ?"

I blocked, delete and shat on PC Gamer ages ago now. They are so far up their own asses that even a wift of bad press is met with a ban.

Don't like their reviews, mention Dragon Age 2 Score = BAN WARNING

*** em, I use their mags for toilet paper now

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
PCGAMER!? uugghhh. Well at leats its kinda free marketing for Larian which they need right now. Thogh 2 weeks of being steams top seller helps a bit too :)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You wanna complain about something? Complain about the totally out of place itemization system.
Fits in with their Diablo clone roots :troll:

Sadly Original Sin is nothing like a Diablo clone.

And funnily, neither is any of their previous games. Divine Divinity has Diablo-like combat and itemization, but other than that it's not a Diablo-clone by any means. No Diabloesque "roguelike" elements (randomly generated landscapes with respawning enemies) and a lot of quests to do, riddles to solve, towns to explore.... yeah because Diablo had any of these full fledged RPG elements. Having Diablo combat =/= being a Diablo clone. Same with Beyond Divinity.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
PCGAMER!? uugghhh. Well at leats its kinda free marketing for Larian which they need right now. Thogh 2 weeks of being steams top seller helps a bit too :)

I think that helps more than any review score because the number of steamfags buying whatever is popular on Steam is likely larger than the number of people who actually read "professional" game reviews.

I reckon that the best thing that could happen to Larian right now is that someone makes a meme out of something in Divinity OS, like the "arrow in the knee" or "FUS RO DAH" shit that was spawned by Skyrim and entered popular culture so hard, it got used everywhere on the internet and the reference is even understood by some non-gamers.

Word of mouth has already been the best publicity-generator for Div OS, now if some shitty youtube LPers embrace it or a meme is spawned from it it'll be better than any review ever because honestly, none of the people who bought Skyrim because LOL DRAGON SHOUTS ever read a review.

Dr Schultz

Augur
Considering the drop-in/drop-out multiplayer thing, the U.I. is a freakin miracle. I've played tons of entirely single player RPGs with shittier interfaces, and I'm not talking about Bioware crap, I'm talking about serious stuff. Complaining about the U.I. in Original Sin is moronic even here.
Uh no, it's not. "I've seen worse" is not an excuse for lacking common sense conveniences.

Well, tons of so called masterpieces (starting from Ultima V and continuing with basically any decent RPG I've ever played) lack common sense in a more striking way when it comes to the UI part.

You wanna complain about something? Complain about the totally out of place itemization system.

And funnily, neither is any of their previous games. Divine Divinity has Diablo-like combat and itemization, but other than that it's not a Diablo-clone by any means. No Diabloesque "roguelike" elements (randomly generated landscapes with respawning enemies) and a lot of quests to do, riddles to solve, towns to explore.... yeah because Diablo had any of these full fledged RPG elements. Having Diablo combat =/= being a Diablo clone. Same with Beyond Divinity.

Agreed. But here the hank & slashy itemization system strikes me as totally inappropriate, considering that even the combat system has nothing to do with Diablo and the like

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

And funnily, neither is any of their previous games. Divine Divinity has Diablo-like combat and itemization, but other than that it's not a Diablo-clone by any means.
What crockshit

So what's diablolike about it

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't really think they did pass 1 million. My best guess 700k and thats a very wild, optimistic guess. Probably 500k if one need to be realistic.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Each time someone calls Divine Divinity a Diablo clone, Darth Roxor shoots a hobo.

Please think of the hobos.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How did this Diablo clone thing come up in the first place?
I mean, it is so obviously wrong that anyone having viewed like 10 seconds of gameplay could see it's nowhere near hack n slay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom