Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview with a former gamer

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This guy is clearly into SJW faggotry. His understanding of what makes a game worthwhile is mostly limited to narrative and the cachet value of a game.

Except it isn't, read the OP ("How do you define creativity in games").

DramaticPopcorn

Seriously, Jewfinitron, this is a bad thread and you should feel bad for "reporting" on this garbage

Soulcucker

Savant
This guy is clearly into SJW faggotry. His understanding of what makes a game worthwhile is mostly limited to narrative and the cachet value of a game.

Except it isn't, read the OP ("How do you define creativity in games").

True, he does mention level design and says he is anti narrative, but then goes on to praise the themes and narrative in FO and BG. He also focuses his criticisms of AC and GTA around narrative and thematic elements. This guy is all over the place and his arguments are filled with contractions.

Unwanted

Bustamonte

Unwanted
Shitposter
So you can just interview yourself then and people are supposed to give a shit? This changes everything.

Self, are there any games you look forward to?

Not really, self. I had hopes for InXile but WL 2 was mediocre and they have already gone off the deepend with political correctness and social justice content since then.

I used to have hopes for Obshitian, too, everyone's favorite tank MMO developer. But ultimately they never even made ONE game halfway worth a shit. NWN II was just terrible for the most part, and while it seemed like maybe it was a jumping off point to something good THAT TURNED OUT TO BE THE BEST THING THEY EVER MADE. Also, besides Avelone everyone at the company sucks in every way. I would not be displeased or surprised if someone killed cooked and ate every single one of them just to make sure they never poison another game with their inanity.

Oh come on, none at all?

Well, ok. I do play a few shitty strategy games here and there but they are mediocre at best. Stardock and paradox stuff, that sort of thing. I am not sure why I bother to be honest.

How about old games, you still play those?

Well, not really RPGs so much because I have played them to death. But I like GOG stuff and often play stuff like Master of Magic for a few hours, stuff like that.

I used to play Quake 3: arena back in the day, but games like that such without someone to play with who's more or less at your level.

Do you even discuss gaming any more?

A little, at places like RPG codex. But nowadays the net is full of hipsters on iphones and foreign teenagers so it's hard to really give a shit what anyone thinks. You take someone seriously a minute then - oh. You realize this is some jrpg tard or some little kid or some idiot who doesn't even come to gaming sites for games but to be a political correctness nanny. Fuck those losers.

Any other plans in life?

Not really, turns out everyone on this gay earth is complete shit and a waste of time, and all the 'people' are disgusting subhumans. I hope I will just die soon and not have to deal with this worthless planet any more.

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
It feels like an old relationship or something. You know, that old girlfriend might look great and I remember the good times, but that doesn't mean I'm going to call her. It's similar to that.

It's kind of an emotional thing. I feel like they wrote me off, and I wasn't important to them anymore, and now they're trying to bring me back, but I've moved on. [Laughs.]

That's pretty spot on. I feel about all this kikestarter resurgence the same way, sort of. Like a cunt who has dumped me to chase a rich guy, got thrown out after a quickie and now begs me to be accepted back. No fucking way, shills, you've blown your chance with me.

This is a point I kind of made early on during GamerGate. In a way, Codexers and SJWs are two groups struggling with the same problem. Both of them observed at some point that gaming was becoming this crass, embarrasing, "bro-tastic" thing. But whereas the SJWs are a bunch of fucking cunts with with serious personality disorders who have decided to force their twisted perversions and insecurities onto the rest of the world, the Codex are a bunch of fucking cunts with with serious personality disorders who realize that the real problem is that people are stupid.
Fixed that for you Infinitron.

Unwanted

Bustamonte

Unwanted
Shitposter
The brotastic stuff isn't a problem. That's how the mainstream SHOULD be. What's a problem is when they made it so easy even the most computer illiterate retards can play every MMO and console game. So you go off the 'path' and there is suddenly a wall there to stop you and so on.

Without that there would be no feminist cunts reviewing anything anyway, because they are otherwise too stupid to get past the opening screens in the first place.

sser

Arcane
Developer
It's just cynicism. The guy talks about mechanics interesting him now. He wants new things because he's already seen it all.

Maybe you spend your 10 years in games and you kinda see everything that games do, and then there's nothing new for you anymore.

But it applies to any medium. There are a lot of movies and books I can no longer watch or read because I know exactly what they're doing before they do it.

I personally think gaming is better than ever in terms of creativity and diversity in gameplay, yet even I'm still a little burnt out on parts of it. Newness is really hard to recapture. It's why getting old, aside from the fucking, fucking sucks. I once used to see planes in the sky and be amazed. Like whoa, look at that thing, a big metal container so loud I can hear it down here. And there's people on it? Holy shit. Now it doesn't even register. I don't even think about planes in the sky because the thrill of seated people being jetted hundreds of miles per hour through the air no longer wows me. And you know some fucker hundreds of years from now is going to be looking out the window of his spacecraft watching it mine an asteroid for fuel and he'll still be bored and cynical about it and probably playing Solitaire.

Severian Silk

Why should I care about some nobody? Especially when he makes statements like that concerning entertainment.
This forum has 16,454 nobodies.

True, he does mention level design and says he is anti narrative, but then goes on to praise the themes and narrative in FO and BG. He also focuses his criticisms of AC and GTA around narrative and thematic elements. This guy is all over the place and his arguments are filled with contractions.
What exactly about AC and GTA gameplay is so bad? (Haven't played either game.) It's the doucheyness of the writing/presentation that is notable about them.

Yep. It's like he's a guy who's at the crossroads between Codex and SJW. It's an interesting interview despite the banality of it.
That's one of the most retarded things I've read on the Codex in a long time. I can't believe you said that and kept a straight face. Is the Codex supposed to be referring to itself in the third person now like Bob Dole?

Last edited by a moderator:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Do like me. Take a random date. Pretend a cataclysmic event happened at this point and that the entire gaming industry was wiped out. Like, 9/11 but with developers. Or better yet, the holocaust. Yes, the holocaust is definitely better. Except they didn't miss anyone. They got all the coders. Nobody knows how to make new games anymore. The only thing you can do is replay the old games, again, and again, and find other games that you missed that were released in the past.

It can't be helped. It's not your fault.

Also work with movies and books and music. Man, you should have seen the great purges when Philips unveiled this "Compact Disc" technology.

pippin

The guy is entering midlife crisis mode more than anything else. There's no reason to care for new games now, and even if you do, most "fan groups" are often formed because of nostalgia, be it individual or collective. We are here because we like games which are as old as most of us are, and it's the same with groups who talk about music, comics, movies, tv shows, etc. Only normies like new stuff exclusively.

Unwanted

Bustamonte

Unwanted
Shitposter
Do like me. Take a random date. Pretend a cataclysmic event happened at this point and that the entire gaming industry was wiped out. Like, 9/11 but with developers. Or better yet, the holocaust. Yes, the holocaust is definitely better. Except they didn't miss anyone. They got all the coders. Nobody knows how to make new games anymore. The only thing you can do is replay the old games, again, and again, and find other games that you missed that were released in the past.

It can't be helped. It's not your fault.

Also work with movies and books and music. Man, you should have seen the great purges when Philips unveiled this "Compact Disc" technology.

For me it's the day Obshitian was founded.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Seems like his problem was not being able to find a niche community for himself. I would probably have left gaming too if i never found Codex.

Delterius

Arcane
It's kind of an emotional thing. I feel like they wrote me off, and I wasn't important to them anymore, and now they're trying to bring me back, but I've moved on.

The interview lost me there. Why should I care about some nobody? Especially when he makes statements like that concerning entertainment. I feel like the next step is finding out he lives with his parents, wears a fedora and is into manga.
At least Anime never betrays you.

Mark Richard

Arcane
This is stupid. Playing video games is a major medium of entertainment, just like literature, or movies. If there was a bad period of literature or movies, would you stop reading? Stop watching movies? No, you would just stick to old classics or indie stuff, and wait it out. Video games aren't some fringe thing you grow out of or leave.
A lot of people don’t play videogames, but everybody watches movies and reads literatu-

…

Everybody watches movies. Gaming doesn’t have a secure hundred year long reign yet, and there was a time when it was precisely something you were supposed to grow out of.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Interview with a 'former gamer' is as valid as an interview with a person who 'ate mcdonalds this morning' or a person who 'run out of toilet paper'

Soulcucker

Savant
What exactly about AC and GTA gameplay is so bad? (Haven't played either game.) It's the doucheyness of the writing/presentation that is notable about them.

I was just pointing out how scattershot this interview is and how incoherent his arguments are. For all his hand wringing about games he fails to understand that the value of games is often more technical (strategic choices, flow, mental heuristics, ect) than cultural.

It's the same thing for me. The last game I finished was FO:NV, and before that Bloodlines. I still buy games but can't get myself to play them for more than one hour. Not because they're bad (I enjoyed my two hours spent in SitS or Underrail), but it just that I can't anymore. But I don't think that it has something to do with the quality of the games.
But nevertheless, I still have a passion for the medium, and spend much more time browsing the Codex than effectively playing the games. I think that I got bored with the fantasy and post-apocalyptic settings and tropes a decade ago.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
This guy sounds a lot like me. I pretty much grew out of games at this point. Games these days, be it Ass Creed or Ass Effect or Grand Ass Auto or Far Ass or AssRim, are made-by-committee spreadsheets with a graphics skin.

The art and science of getting the player actually involved, is gone. Maybe it's a combination of dominance of consoles and people generally getting dumber because they think they can Google good taste.

Turjan

Arcane
I never felt like it was worth the surface-level embarrassment. I never felt like it got deeper than me just, like, sitting on the couch playing with my joysticks and my girlfriend thinking I was being a little kid even though I'm 30 and I couldn't really justify it beyond that.
In a way, Codexers and SJWs are two groups struggling with the same problem. Both of them observed at some point that gaming was becoming this crass, embarrasing, "bro-tastic" thing. But where the SJWs have decided that the problem is bros and "bro culture", the Codex realizes that the real problem is that people are stupid.
The article just means he has the wrong girlfriend. At least that's a problem most Codexers don't have. :troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom