Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview with a former gamer

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here's an interview with a guy named Dane MacMahon: http://www.nodontdie.com/dane-macmahon/ (thanks LESS T_T)

In many ways, he's like one of us. He watched in horror as hardcore PC gaming turned into a crass, consolized mass industry in the mid-2000s. But whereas we clung bitterly on, our hearts filled with hatred, he just shrugged his shoulders and left the hobby. And now he can't find his way back.

Some of you may find this to be an interesting read. Here's an excerpt:

What's your opinion on smaller, independent teams making games. We haven't really talked about them yet. Have they done much to move the needle or hold your interest?
Yeah, no, I love it actually. But it just hasn't gotten me back yet. I actually put in my notes, "Indies are a big step toward tempting me back." Because stuff like Pillars of Eternity and -- that's like the big one I remember, I don't know why. But there's other ones, too. I see role-playing games that seem like they're made for me. "Like, hey, if you grew up playing Baldur's Gate, you should come back to videogames and play Pillars of Eternity." That's exactly what they're doing and I'm exactly who they're talking to, but for some reason -- I guess it's been too long or something, I'm tempted, but I'm not jumping over the cliff.

Part of that is probably it would cost money. My computer in the closet is like seven years old, so it would probably need upgrades, and then you have to buy a $60 game, too, so it's like, $1,000. So part of that's money, but just greater than that, I feel like I've moved on. It feels like an old relationship or something. You know, that old girlfriend might look great and I remember the good times, but that doesn't mean I'm going to call her. It's similar to that.

It's kind of an emotional thing. I feel like they wrote me off, and I wasn't important to them anymore, and now they're trying to bring me back, but I've moved on. [Laughs.]

Yeah. You had a good thing, but let's be honest.
Yeah, which gets into the nostalgia thing. How much of it is nostalgia and how much of it is, "Ooh, I want to play Mario tomorrow?"

As we age, what do you think changes about what we're looking for out of games? Certainly fun is still there, but what is that extra thing we're looking for?
A sense of culture. A sense of community. A sense of art appreciation. A sense that it's important to me.

I think when you're young it's just fun. When you get older, you want a little more out of it. You have less free time. You want to get more out of your free time. I want to feel like I'm important to it and it's important to me.

Like, you can make a Super Mario copy and make it exactly like Super Mario, but just different enough and arts and aesthetics and stuff to not be sued, but it wouldn't necessarily be the same to me at 35 as it would at 15. I don't know -- 'cause I have seen stuff like that. Like I said, Pillars of Eternity, 22-year-old me would have flipped out over that. But, 35-year-old me, it's like, "Oh, that's tempting, but I've moved on it."

What is the difference? I'm not even sure. Are there movies I loved when I was a teen that I don't like anymore now? Probably. But I don't know what the difference is. That's a good question.

How do you define creativity in games?
Mechanics. Level design. When I played Quake 2 online everyday after work, it was all about, you know, how to use that weapon to defeat that opponent in the right exact way and how to beat him perfectly, all that stuff. I feel like as it's gone on, it's been more about story and more about graphics and all that stuff. But it kinda got away from the true creative part being the mechanics.

Games being like movies is something that really turned me off. That's another thing. I kept focusing on culture because that's my educational background. But they try to be more and more like movies, they focus more on story and graphics. And like, I have movies for that. I have novels for that. I'm big into movies, too. So, I didn't come for that. Like, I came to games -- like Diablo 2, I didn't even read the text, to be honest with you. It was all about getting to new areas, killing new enemies, getting new loot, and hanging out with friends and talking on chat.

So when it was more about the story part, I sort of tuned it out. I did some of that in Baldur's Gate. It was rare. You have to do it really well. Baldur's Gate is an exception, it had gameplay and story, in a talking-to-people fashion, whereas now it's like, "Watch a cutscene." That really turned me off. The last game I tried playing was Dragon Age last year, whenever it came out. I hadn't played a game a year before that. And somebody told me, "Hey, your computer can run Dragon Ageon low."

So, I got that, and I played it. It's either a movie or you're collecting stuff. It's one or the other. There was nothing else to it. I played it for a few hours and then I stopped because I was either walking around collecting things or I was watching a cutscene, and I just was not impressed by that. So, you want to know where creativity should be? In me doing interesting stuff. [Laughs.]

That game was literally "keep smashing the R trigger" to kill enemies and walk around and press "A" on stuff to pick it up. Like, if you boil that game down, that's what it is. That's what it was. Now, when I read reviews, when they talked about how amazing it was, it was all about the story and it was all about the dialog and it was all about the pretty areas and it was all about the characters and all that stuff. But when you're sitting there playing the game, you know, there was no depth to the combat. There was no Zelda castle. You just picked up tapestries, or something, to make your thing look prettier.

I wasn't doing anything interesting. The story kept me completely out of it.

Sometimes when I hear people talk about these bigger games, they just sound like a massive project you're working on.
[Laughs.] It feels like work.

The purpose of this site is to not slam big-budget games, although I do think there is a degree to which they are culpable for the lack of creativity. I really liked Assassin's Creed II. It's the only Assassin's Creed game that I liked and played to the very end.
Same here.

I kinda liked GTA V, but what I liked best about it were the heists because I liked the project-management aspects of them. [Laughs.] I'm serious. But what you're talking about in Dragon Age reminds me of that stuff in Assassin's Creed II, where you collect stuff to improve your mansion or whatever.
I think there's definitely people who are into games for different things, and probably the era you joined is a big part of that, I would think, because different eras of videogames concentrate on different things. I will always love platformers because I was a 14-year-old playing on Super Nintendo. That's what I played as a kid.

Maybe if you have joined in the last 10 years, you're more into story than I am. I don't know. But I think a lot of people come to games for story. A lot of people come to games because they're super bored and need stuff to do, and a lot of games nowadays give you 100 hours of stuff to do. It might not be fun, but you're working on something. You're doing something. Completionists or whatever. I don't know.

Like you said, it felt like a project. That is exactly how Dragon Age: Inquisition felt like. It felt like I was working at something. It felt like I was doing a job or a task list.

Sounds like you're trying to put a ship in a bottle.
Yeah. Exactly. Building a model. Way back in the day, Fallout did not feel like that. I don't even think there was a quest list in the original Fallout. It was literally just, "I walked around and I did stuff as it came to me and I enjoyed the tactical combat, and at one point the game was finished and the story had some cool aspects to it." And I was like, "Ah, that was fun."

Deus Ex, same way. Like, they plopped you down in New York and you had to figure out how to do this thing in the warehouse and you had it all open to you and you figured it out and that was the mechanics of it. Now, it feels like the last few games I played, I played Dragon Age and before that -- man, it was years. I don't even remember. But, like, everything I played just felt like I was checking things off. I was working at a project. I think you perfectly captured it by saying it. I couldn't say it better.

deusex-1.png

I don't even know if it's fair to hold Mario up as some sort of gold standard because I was thinking, well, in Mario you collect 100 coins and you can get a new life. In Assassin's Creed II, you collect, I think, like, 100 feathers and I think you get an achievement.
But I never did that stuff.

[Laughs.]
[Laughs.] But different people come in games for different things. Like, I didn't even know -- I don't even remember that, 100 coins in Mario. Like, my goal was to get from the beginning to the end without dying. So, I was all just about, "Make sure you jump over the pit. Make sure you land on the platform. You make you dodge the turtle dude. Get to the flag thing and then you won." So, and in Deus Ex, they said, "Okay, your mission is to turn off the satellite" or whatever. I don't even remember. But they gave you a few different ways to do that, and I just did that. I didn't care if I shot every soldier in the head. I didn't care if I collected every item. I just did the goal. And now, I think achievements were a big part of that. I think they're focusing so much on the minutiae or the busywork aspect that you lose sight of what's actually fun about actually sitting down and playing a videogame.

fallout_2_-_glitched.png

Do you feel like games have gotten less creative? Or just fixated on different things?
I definitely feel it's less creative. I think it's -- I think they're copying movies wholesale for the story and the visual aspects of it, and for the actual gameplay, I'm not trying to be mean to the people who make them, but I think they're focusing on the things that are easy for them to design, relatively -- not easy to design in general but compared to deeper mechanics -- and foster a compulsive, working-at-something feeling for the player, but not necessarily truly enjoyable.

I didn't play the last Grand Theft Auto, but I remember Grand Theft Auto 3, way back. I played that for the first time in a store. They had a kiosk set-up. You remember those? [Laughs.] I played on a PlayStation 2 in a store aisle. I was into videogames more casually at the time. I was 21, doing what people will do at that age. And I remember playing that and thinking, "Wow, you can walk anywhere. Wow, you can get in any car." That was just amazing to me. That was a truly new thing. I went out and bought it, and I played it for 50 hours or whatever and loved it, and then Grand Theft Auto 4 comes out years and years later, and it was the same exact thing, it just looked better and it had a lot more cutscenes. [Laughs.] Like, there's nothing new here. I already did this, and the parts they improved, I'm already getting from movies or whatever, so I don't know what's supposed to really get me excited. And I don't know what Grand Theft Auto V is like, but I assume it's the next step? But did they -- you mentioned something that was pretty interesting, and if that's a new mechanic, that's great. That needs to happen more often.

I just remembered the game I had played before Dragon Age: Inquisition was actually when I was on my summer break when I was home from working in Russia: It was Dishonored. And I really liked Dishonored. From Dishonored to Dragon Age, I played nothing, so you can look at a calendar to see the dates on that. I enjoyed Dishonored, but it was basically like Deus Ex again. It was the same thing. So, like, I enjoyed it because I enjoyed Deus Ex but at the same time, I already did it.

So maybe this gets into the whole greater conversation we're having.

Maybe you spend your 10 years in games and you kinda see everything that games do, and then there's nothing new for you anymore.

Well, why do games still matter to you to if, by your own admission, you have pretty much lost interest?
It was a big important part of my life for a long time. When I was a kid, I definitely ran around outside just as much, but I played a lot of games. Mega Man. Mario. Final Fantasy. Shadowrun. All those back then. It was a huge part of my youth. And then, I got away from them for a while and then I came back and they were a huge part of my twenties with Quake 2 and Diablo 2 and all that stuff. I played that a lot in the early 2000's. They were a big part of my life.

I've barely played them the last seven years, and yet -- I think when something's part of your life so much, you just can't escape it sort of. So, every once in a while I'll be like, "Hey, I wonder what's going on in the world of games." I'll click on myEurogamer bookmark or my Kotaku bookmark and just see what's up. And I still follow some people involved in games on Twitter, like Jeff Gerstmann, 'cause he's funny, and he talks about videogames and I'm like, "Hey, I remember videogames."

And so, even if I haven't played anything in six months and before that, for two years, it's still something -- it's a part of my life. Like, you can't escape it. And I don't think it's all nostalgia. I think it's genuine good memories and it was important to me at the time. I kinda wish it could be again, to some extent. And the indie games, too. But at the same time, I've played it.

Pillars of Eternity is another Baldur's Gate. I've played it. I played it when I was 21 or whatever. But I've played it and I loved it, but I've moved on, and I don't need to play it again. If I do, Baldur's Gate would probably be more satisfying because of the nostalgia factor.

I think you kinda have your era, and you enjoy it, and it's an important part of you. But then you move on and it's not the same anymore.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
What strikes me first about this interview is "Why is this guy being interviewed to begin with?" There's no introduction to him, he's just in the chair and blabbing away about his gaming experience. Precisely why should we be paying attention to him again? Why is his perspective relevant?

This all reeks of anecdotal evidence to push an agenda, and everyone with a working brain should know what to do with that...and that's before we get into some of the more bizarre things that are mentioned, like this:

I guess it's been too long or something, I'm tempted, but I'm not jumping over the cliff. Part of that is probably it would cost money. My computer in the closet is like seven years old, so it would probably need upgrades, and then you have to buy a $60 game, too, so it's like, $1,000. So part of that's money, but just greater than that, I feel like I've moved on.

So he's bothered that he has to upgrade his computer, but he's extra bothered that he has to fork over another $60 on a (decent) video game on top of the $1000 or so he's spent on upgrading his rig?

There are also a lot of questions by the interviewer that are leading, and overall this interview feels amateurish in many ways. But, as has been pointed out elsewhere, the only reason this year-old interview is even being dug up is because of the following:

If I wanted to find out today if Witcher 3 was worth dragging my computer out of the closet and putting a new video card in it to play, where would I go to do that? I honestly don't have an answer. It's either all going to be twisted marketing or surface-level conversation or -- but then if I go to a forum like RPG Codex or whatever, which is a horrible, horrible den of sin that no one should go to -- but if I go there to find out, it's going to be all people I don't identify with anymore nitpicking it apart. So, where do you go to have a real discussion about that kind of videogame? I don't know. You tell me.

This tells me that certain RPG Codex staff that shall remain nameless but have posted in this thread, appear to be suffering from some sort of inferiority complex, and see a reason to address the smallest of slights aimed at the site by bringing the relevant parties before us like fresh meat during Meatloaf Day.

I, for one, can't blame MacMachon on this one - there are certain parts of this forum which are very off-putting, and even the tamest sections go a long way towards painting the exact picture he's painting. Whether he stays out of here because he doesn't have the stomach for freedom of speech, or whether we are a cesspool of hate, villainy and sin, is a practice I'll leave up to the reader.

Beyond all of the above, the article is a good read because it gives the not-so-often-praise perspective of the seasoned gamer that hasn't drank all the Kool-Aid yet.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This tells me that certain RPG Codex staff that shall remain nameless but have posted in this thread, appear to be suffering from some sort of inferiority complex, and see a reason to address the smallest of slights aimed at the site by bringing the relevant parties before us like fresh meat during Meatloaf Day.

Nah.

Last edited:

Malpercio

Arcane
I was a gamer once, but then I took an arrow to the knee and lost my gamer badge.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
My computer in the closet is like seven years old, so it would probably need upgrades, and then you have to buy a $60 game, too, so it's like, $1,000. So part of that's money, but just greater than that, I feel like I've moved on.

With all the gay shit he's been spouting - it's no wonder his computer is in the closet.. :smug:

I'll show myself out..

Jinn

Arcane
Yeah, I was this guy for a couple years. It was during the deep, dark times around 2010. I gave up faith and didn't play a game for, like, three years. Then I played some Red Orchestra 2 and something reawakened in me. It probably would have gone away pretty quickly if the likes of Divinity: Original Sin, Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, and Underrail hadn't showed up on my radar. Now I'm in extremely deep and wondering if the day will ever come that I step away from gaming again. It's not seeming likely right now, but the decline will rear it's gruesome head again one day, and I might have to put on my walking shoes again.

Latro

Arcane
I thought the guy was referencing this place as a "wink wink den of delicious sin nudge nudge" sort of endorsement.

I bet he posts in GD.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I saw Chris Evans while at a bar with a few mates in LA yesterday. He was a few seats away from us drinking alone, letting anyone who passed by take pictures with him, but otherwise ignoring everybody around him. Eventually someone came up to him to get him to sign their T-shirt, and he put on his PR face, got out his sharpie, and went to sign it. He asked them "So I guess you really like Captain America, huh?"

"Huh? No, never watched any of them. I'm a die-hard fan of the original Fantastic Four movie, and its equally good sequel; Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer."

He instantly just froze in place. Everyone at the bar had gone silent at this, even the bartender dropped the glass he was pouring into in shock, spraying a nearby patron with Heineken. Gradually, Evans began trembling, his face growing redder and redder as the veins became more and more pronounced, his hands curling painfully into fists, and his eyes filling with hate. The fan realized what he'd done and tried to get an apology out, but it was too late. Evans lunged at him and began hitting him with a flurry of punches. What initially sounded like cries of anger gradually devolved into a gutteral, animal-like roar of pure hatred. Everyone wanted to help the poor man, but we couldn't do a thing about it. We need Chris Evans a-okay to ensure that the rest of Marvels plans for their brilliant cinematic universe comes to fruition.

Eventually, when it became evident that all he was punching anymore was bits of brain and skull fragments into the hard wood floor, he got up, adjusted his shirt, and walked out, eyeing all of us to ensure we don't tell anyone else about it.

This is stupid. Playing video games is a major medium of entertainment, just like literature, or movies. If there was a bad period of literature or movies, would you stop reading? Stop watching movies? No, you would just stick to old classics or indie stuff, and wait it out. Video games aren't some fringe thing you grow out of or leave.

Severian Silk

I guess it's been too long or something, I'm tempted, but I'm not jumping over the cliff. Part of that is probably it would cost money. My computer in the closet is like seven years old, so it would probably need upgrades, and then you have to buy a $60 game, too, so it's like, $1,000. So part of that's money, but just greater than that, I feel like I've moved on.

So he's bothered that he has to upgrade his computer, but he's extra bothered that he has to fork over another $60 on a (decent) video game on top of the $1000 or so he's spent on upgrading his rig?
I think he means he doesn't want to spend $1060 just for one game, or for just a handful of games. He doesn't feel the cost is justified for so small of an amount.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
If you feel underwhelmed by kickstarter darlings (made by people who peddled trash for a decade then promptly jumped on the crowdfound train for the benefits it provides) you're a burnout and/or a nostalgiafag, here's an internet rant from some nobody to prove it.

Increasing

Plant
Advertising plant
He mentioned sexism in gaming and he also mentioned this site in less than positive light, so it is now necessary to open a thread and whine about him?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
If you feel underwhelmed by kickstarter darlings (made by people who peddled trash for a decade then promptly jumped on the crowdfound train for the benefits it provides) you're a burnout and/or a nostalgiafag, here's an internet rant from some nobody to prove it.

That's not my agenda at all. Maybe it was a mistake to quote the part where he talks about Kickstarter in the OP. I thought people might ignore the thread otherwise, because that part is more immediately relevant to the Codex's interests. In truth, it's the first part of the interview that I find more interesting:

I mean, what's the mark of maturity for, like, Assassin's Creed orCall of Duty or GTA? Because none of those really feel that mature.
Yeah, no. That's kind of what I'm saying.

I remember -- I played Super Nintendo when I was kid, but then I got really big into PC games. That is what I mostly played. I remember Fallout 2 or the first Baldur's Gate or whatever had all these mature themes and it was, like, about, "What is a God? What is a society? What is a president?" I remember Fallout 2 going deep into political stuff, like, "When is socialism good? When is it not? When is a president overbearing and when is he doing what he has to do?" All this stuff.

Assassin's Creed and Grand Theft Auto is more just, like, satirical. But it's over the top, I think. It doesn't have a sense of maturity because it's just trying to be funny or, like in Assassin's Creed's case, just trying to be cool, and there's no actual depth to it.

Something you had said in your emails was you just felt "gross" playing games.
Yeah.

You said, too, that you maybe feel a little bit embarrassed and maybe you check in on game news and tweets but you still consider it "a problem." Why is it gross? Why is it a problem?
Honestly, I don't even check in that often anymore. [Laughs.] I think I did more last year because I was looking forward to Dragon Age, which disappointed me, but that's something we can talk about later.

Like, my other hobby would be movies, I guess. Sometimes, you're embarrassed by a movie because it's a little too cheesy, '80s style or there's a little bit too much gratuitous violence or nudity, but overall they usually try to make a point. There was a movie I just watched recently called Society, which is crazy over the top with violence and sex, but at the same time it's making very good, mature points about what society is and what it isn't. But games, everything just felt purely -- I don't know how to put this.

I never felt like it was worth the surface-level embarrassment. I never felt like it got deeper than me just, like, sitting on the couch playing with my joysticks and my girlfriend thinking I was being a little kid even though I'm 30 and I couldn't really justify it beyond that. I couldn't really say, "No, wait! There's more to it" like I can when she's making fun of me for watching Terminator.

It just felt like I was -- like I should have grown out of it. And I don't think that's fair to videogames because you can definitely play a videogame at 35 and feel justified and feel good about it, but I think videogame culture itself isn't allowing you to do it. Like, the marketing is embarrassing, the culture is embarrassing, the people I would play with on Xbox Live were embarrassing. It's too much.

Does that make any sense?

Yeah. It does. And I think you articulated a thing that maybe I have not been saying with my conversations with this, which is: Saying you should outgrow it is not fair to videogames. But I think the thing to me that's frustrating about is it isn't fair to videogames, but, where most of the money in the industry is doesn't seem to care. Like, I think the way that they acknowledge that people are growing up or older is, like, "Here's a couple of fitness games."
[Laughs.]

And that's about it.
Or, like, "Here's a bowling game your grandma can play." Which, I appreciate, and my grandma had fun with it, but it's not solving the problem. [Laughs.]

Yeah, that's very true. I never thought about that, but go out and look at shelves at videogames and there's stuff where: You're A Kid, You're A Little Bit Older Kid, You're In College, and then there's like, well, You Want to Keep Your Brain Sharp in Your Winter Years.
There's nothing in between.

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be anything in between for your thirties 'til 70. [Laughs.]
[Laughs.]

I had never really thought about it.
Yeah, no, I think that's right on. There's a middle ground that isn't being reached. It's either Xbox Live, bro-tastic marketing, or it's for your grandpa. There's no, "I have kids, I don't want to feel embarrassed being part of this community" sort of middle ground. You're either inside the community playing Wii Bowling, or you're inside the community and going all the way in on the worst aspects of it.

When you hear people talk about what it means to be a person who plays games, and what people don't talk about, I guess being in your thirties is one of them. But what else comes to mind?
A person who plays games, I think, is defined by what society sees it as. I got my degree in sociology, so I talk a lot about society and stuff. But I'm a social constructionist, actually, and that could play into the question. And what that basically means is that you believe society kind of defines behavior. And, I believesociety has defined videogames as something that a lot of people don't feel like they can fit into.

The sexist issue is part of that because videogames have defined themselves over 30 years in a way that is very hard for women to get into, very male-focused. I think it's a similar thing with teenagers and twentysomethings. Like, it's defined itself in marketing, in journalism, in cultural identity as a thing for those people. And when you're not in those groups anymore, you feel alienated or you feel embarrassed or you feel gross about it.

I guess, if you have a sociological view on it, which is the correct one for this: Where does this come from? Wanting to narrowly define what it means to not fit in -- to be a misfit, to be a gamer -- and then further marginalizing others who don't not fit in in the correct way. [Laughs.]
[Laughs.] Well, not to sound cynical about capitalism, but I really think it's a business-marketing issue. You find the group that you want to market to, that you're effectively marketing to, and then you just hype that up to 11. And before you know it, you've kind of defined the parameters of what the hobby itself is.

This might be interesting: I remember I had an aunt who talked a lot about playingPong, and a lot about playing Atari when she was an adult. She was 20, thirtysomething. She's a lot older now. And when I was playing Nintendo as a little kid I said, "Well, why don't you have a Nintendo? Why aren't you still playing games?" And I remember her just saying, "Well, Nintendo's not for me." You might want to talk to her instead of me.

Twenty years later, how do I define that conversation? Something about the culture or the marketing around Nintendo turned her off and made her not continue on. And that's how I feel with the post-Xbox era. I was super into, you know, PC games and stuff until roughly when Xbox came out and then I started getting turned off because it just didn't feel for me anymore. I'm not even saying that's me being above it necessarily because when I was into it, it was allcomputer-nerd guys. [Laughs.] All the forum usenet groups and the forums I was on back then was nerdy twentysomething males talking about spin shots in Quakeor talking about the next fat loot we could get for Diablo 2 or, you know, how to solve that annoying puzzle in the new Monkey Island game or whatever.

monkeyisland-glitched.png

When the Xbox game out, I sort of suddenly was in the position where I thought, "Hey, this is for the guys who picked on me in high school." Or, "This is for the guys who give each other high fives when they pick up girls at the bar or whatever. This isn't for me anymore." And I felt alienated. I think women feel that about the whole thing since it started. Why does my girlfriend play Candy Crush on her phone but refuses to even think about playing a puzzle game on Steam? It's because society has told her it's okay or she feels accepted playing Candy Crush on her phone, and she doesn't feel accepted logging onto Steam, and why is that?

When do you think was the first moment that you ran into that expectation that you should have moved on from games already?
Man. I would say, probably, the marketing around when the Xbox 360 launched. When games like Quake 4 came out, Oblivion came out. Oblivion is probably a big one because I played Morrowind endlessly because it was a PC game that came out right in my hardcore-gaming period, where I was really into it. And then Oblivioncame out and it just felt like it was designed for someone else. Like, all the shooters started switching to analog controllers, and I felt like it wasn't the same thing as I had before.

But probably more important than any of that mechanical stuff is just, you know, Xbox 360 gamers -- Xbox gamers in general kinda took over the forums I was on, took over the conversation, took over the television marketing. I can't remember one specific television commercial or forum conversation or anything, but just that right around that time, like, 2005 or whenever that was, I just started feeling like I don't belong here anymore.

I just found over the years that the main people who would want to talk about games -- both inside and outside the industry -- would just be like, "Hey, isn't it awesome in Contrawhen you put in the Konami code?" Or, "Isn't it awesome inMario where you do that one jump?" These would be actual icebreakers.
Schoolyard-style conversation.

Yeah, but into your twenties, even, where it's almost like if you're in a position of you still want to like games and games on a mass level not growing with you, you just start feeling silly for seeing this thing in them that other people don't.
Exactly. Exactly. That pretty much sums me up.

I'm not really a big fan of this guy's thinking. I don't know if he's an SJW, but he's coming at this from the same place that the SJWs are. But he's also kind of like a Codexer.

This is a point I kind of made early on during GamerGate. In a way, Codexers and SJWs are two groups struggling with the same problem. Both of them observed at some point that gaming was becoming this crass, embarrasing, "bro-tastic" thing. But where the SJWs have decided that the problem is bros and "bro culture", the Codex realizes that the real problem is that people are stupid.

Last edited:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
It's kind of an emotional thing. I feel like they wrote me off, and I wasn't important to them anymore, and now they're trying to bring me back, but I've moved on.

The interview lost me there. Why should I care about some nobody? Especially when he makes statements like that concerning entertainment. I feel like the next step is finding out he lives with his parents, wears a fedora and is into manga.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
This is a point I kind of made early on during GamerGate. In a way, Codexers and SJWs are two groups struggling with the same problem. Both of them observed at some point that gaming was becoming this crass, embarrasing, "bro-tastic' thing. But where the SJWs have decided that the problem is bros and "bro culture", the Codex realizes that the real problem is that people are stupid.

Yeah I considered that as well, especially when you observe that the majority of pro-Gamergate people outside of Codex seem to love your average AAA popamole trash and if anything are passionate about defending the status quo, they're quite happy with the state of the industry when Codex on the whole is still anything but (even after the revival of some niche genres via crowdfunding). Before the whole Gamergate thing happened, Codexers were very much at odds with the same people (hell, look how much the attitude towards someone like TotalBiscuit changed on the Dex).

Of course one of the main differences is that on average SJWs "outgrew" those 90s classics (if they were ever a part of that era in the first place) and consider them archaic, outdated etc. while Codex still reveres them and holds them as a standard by which modern offerings are judged.

Unlike Codex, by and large SJWs and bros appear to both want popamole (all modern gaming commodities such as quest compass, non-punishing difficulty, rudimentary mechanics, simplistic level design etc.), they just differ in the kind of popamole they want. That might be why a guy like Prime Junta posts on the Codex despite everything, can't get his fix someplace place else (that might be more aligned with his political/personal beliefs).

tormund

Arcane
Infinitron
You are oversimplifying it... Yes, both those guys and Codexers seem to dislike AAA gaming to some extent, but reasons couldn't be more different. Codexers in my experience lament lesser and lesser focus on gameplay and mechanics, less and less depth and challenge, where SJWs celebrate those same things and SJW in journo scene and industry seem to have unified agenda of sort on have games should be more of an "experience", must be accessible to everybody, "gameplay" and "fun" however someone choses to identify them shouldn't be focus... Walking sims and interactive movies are celebrated, and games that offer depth and challenge are presented as throwbacks if not downright criticized (see RPS and their John Walker in particular). There is also far less resistance to AAA scene among SJWs, more of a wish for convergence, since industry keeps moving in the direction they advocate and for people within industry focus on more and more formulaic games with less and less complexity and increasingly limited interactivity is actually p attractive (that is something that guy from interview surprisingly recognizes).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Infinitron
You are oversimplifying it... Yes, both those guys and Codexers seem to dislike AAA gaming to some extent, but reasons couldn't be more different. Codexers in my experience lament lesser and lesser focus on gameplay and mechanics, less and less depth and challenge, where SJWs celebrate those same things and SJW in journo scene and industry seem to have unified agenda of sort on have games should be more of an "experience", must be accessible to everybody, "gameplay" and "fun" however someone choses to identify them shouldn't be focus... Walking sims and interactive movies are celebrated, and games that offer depth and challenge are presented as throwbacks if not downright criticized (see RPS and their John Walker in particular). There is also far less resistance to AAA scene among SJWs, more of a wish for convergence, since industry keeps moving in the direction they advocate and for people within industry focus on more and more formulaic games with less and less complexity and increasingly limited interactivity is actually p attractive (that is something that guy from interview surprisingly recognizes).

Sure, that's true, but I think Codexers definitely care about the dumbing down of setting and story as well. When it comes down to it, I think that's the main reason why Oblivion is considered such a defining title in the decline of RPGs (and not just the level scaling etc).

(that is something that guy from interview surprisingly recognizes).

Yep. It's like he's a guy who's at the crossroads between Codex and SJW. It's an interesting interview despite the banality of it.

valcik

Arcane
Dane MacMahon said:
Tom was messaging with a friend of his who works in games that he really, really respects messaged him back saying, "I guess I’m mourning the admittance that I’m no longer the target audience of my own work."
It's this weird thing where people outside of games feel that way, and yet, also, people inside of games who have made games for a long time, for some reason are also not able to do something with that information that they also don't like those kinds of games, too.
True and very sad. Value added became more important for AAA companies than quality of their product, so they're deliberately mass-producing low quality content targeted at wide audience. This is not how real piece of art can be produced, this is just industry.

Thanks to all pagan gods for brave indie developers willing to take the risk of being innovative and truly creative! This is the only part of video game industry I'm supporting with my money.

Soulcucker

Savant
A person who plays games, I think, is defined by what society sees it as. I got my degree in sociology, so I talk a lot about society and stuff. But I'm a social constructionist, actually, and that could play into the question. And what that basically means is that you believe society kind of defines behavior. And, I believesociety has defined videogames as something that a lot of people don't feel like they can fit into.

This guy is clearly into SJW faggotry. His understanding of what makes a game worthwhile is mostly limited to narrative and the cachet value of a game. Narrative can make a game worthwhile, but anyone who denies themself the enjoyment of gaming because they are afraid of how it reflects on them is a cuck. I am not going to deny the decline in the breadth of complex AAA games, but the decline merely coincided with the rise of bro culture in the mid 00s. AAA sports games today have more depth and complexity than they ever had and they are most certainly mainstream bro games. All I see in this interview is a hipster posturing about how he is above gaming for very superficial reasons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom