Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interplay selling its IPs

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
13163.jpg

Leading video game software developer, publisher, and licensor, Interplay Entertainment Corp., today announced a process to sell its library of video game assets and intellectual property. The expected sale represents some 70 titles and dozens of characters.

"Interplay has entertained millions of players with its well-recognized games, including Earthworm Jim, Freespace, Giants, Kingpin, Messiah, MDK, Run Like Hell, Sacrifice, Battlechess, Clayfighter, Dark Alliance, and Descent. As game creators, we are proud of the entertainment these properties have provided over the years. With the proliferation of mobile, augmented reality, virtual reality and other new forms of consumption, we believe that consumers are ready to experience and interact with Interplay's characters, stories and game play in ways never possible before. We look forward to seeing how this unique portfolio of interactive entertainment icons will evolve for the worldwide audience," states Eric Caen, President of Interplay.

For more information about Interplay's sale of intellectual property, please contact Joe Morgan at Wedbush Securities (joe.morgan@wedbush.com), who has been engaged by the company to assist in this process.

https://globenewswire.com/news-rele...-Wedbush-Securities-as-Strategic-Advisor.html

Sacrifice, Giants and Stonekeep, Brian?

Also, is Dark Alliance separated from Baldur's Gate? I guess Obsidian could grab it for inevitable Pillars of Eternity: Dark Alliance. :D

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow, this is it. Interplay is dead. They're nothing after this.

I knew this would happen eventually after they lost the license to sell the original Fallout games.

Repressed Homosexual
I just don't understand what the Caen brothers have that allows them to make a living, because their handling of Interplay for nearly 15 years now is more than puzzling.

I mean, those IPs are worth nothing nowadays, these titles mean nothing for 99% of gamers.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Come on now Codex, why the Herve image when his brother is hogging the spotlight? I mean, Herve looks (Or looked) like a sleazy Eurotrash tourist, mis-managed his company into the grave, and possibly killed the golden age of CRPGS, but his brother made Superman 64.

imweasel

It will be interesting to see what Brian picks up.

Maybe Herve would even sell the Interplay name to him.

Severian Silk

Send the notice to Derek Smart instead. He'll sell more copies than Star Citizen.

Black

Arcane
I swear to god, if some :decline: happens to Messiah, Kabuto and Sacrifice there will be blood.

Black

Arcane
And whoever buys them will pretend they're resurrecting a beloved franchise and doing fans a favour.
:negative:
spekkio who'd you give Sacrifice to?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I mean, those IPs are worth nothing nowadays, these titles mean nothing for 99% of gamers.

Earthworm Jim is better known (and probably worth more) than the rest combined, but otherwise your point is true.

Let's watch as Gearbox swoops in and nabs a couple of price IPs and fucks over everyone, especially the fans.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
But wait... I though Black Isle was resurrecting and will deliver us all from decline with their crowdfunded project? Fooled once again! :argh:

Or maybe the funds from these sales will be put into Black Isle. Yes, that must be it.

It will be interesting to see what Brian picks up.

Maybe Herve would even sell the Interplay name to him.

A MDK sequel thats also for consoles might have a better chance of success in this day and age.
Would love it if he'd pick up Descent and Freespace.
Sacrifice would be the hardest thing for them to do anything with.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
People are happy because Interplay no longer keep dead IPs that are not used anymore.
Only to be sold to other publishers, who will sit on them forever and from time to time shit out abomination with old name attached.
nothx

Bunch of them were made by crazy people with cool ideas, nothing that can be replicated by modern corporate cucked drones under big publisher's ass, neither indie developers can do better than that.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Stonekeep 2 wouldn't really be much different than Bard's Tale 4. It's not like the Stonekeep story was so great that it deserves a sequel.

Riskbreaker

We must run a Codex fundraiser for teh Kingpin IP, and then another one for a sequel that could benefit from skacky's and Melan's mapping talents.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom