Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Interesting Ars Technica Article: "View-to-play is the future for games"

deuxhero

Arcane
Ars Technica also claimed (along with over a dozen other sites) that gamers were dead over half a year ago, so their claims about the future are suspect at best.

Gozma

Arcane
Here's an example of a clever product placement: Space Quest 5.

Every subspace communication ended with a short screen appearance by the Sprint logo, suggesting that Sprint was a leading corporation in a future telecommunication market. It worked brilliantly because:

1) It was appropriate, as Space Quest had parodied many known corporate brands throughout the series (Monolith burger, anyone?).
2) It was humorous (like how Taco Bell was the only restaurant left in Demolition Man).
3) It was non-instrusive (it appeared for barely a second at the end of every sub-space message).

But doing that takes a little brainpower to pull off, instead of just forcing an ad slot onto a game and inserting whatever ad fits in there - which is probably why you don't see stuff like that anymore.

try this shit on me and I will find and burn your house down

there aint no clever product placement ever

if you want a can of beer in your game you make up a fake company or you have a white can labeled "beer" in comic sans

Alfons

Prophet
South Park has the best product placement. Anyone remember the one centered around the Sony PSP that was made by god?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
try this shit on me and I will find and burn your house down

there aint no clever product placement ever

if you want a can of beer in your game you make up a fake company or you have a white can labeled "beer" in comic sans

Requesting "Plant" tag on Gozma.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Don't you have to buy storage space in TF2 if you want enough space for all the weapons?
Haven't played in a while but I doubt it. You have five or six massive tabs of inventory. Unless people are hoarding a ton of shit.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Just had an idea that commercials would be perfect way for preventing save scumming in games, just play one each time you save and load the game. Would be more effective then Diablo like save&exit option.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Don't you have to buy storage space in TF2 if you want enough space for all the weapons?

I last played at the start of this year. Just to be able to have all the needed weapons today takes up more than 3 pages of backspace space, and a new player starts with 6. You'll need another page to sort out drops and craft metal, which leaves 2 pages, and odds are good you'll get some hats/extra pointless crap somewhere along the way, but it'll take a long time to build up a whole page's worth of that unless you're throwing money at the Mann. Co Store.

However, every Christmas TF2 players get a special drop that includes several items, among them a Backpack Expander, which is usually sold in the store and adds 2 pages to your backpack. Right now I have 12 pages, and I'd say I'm using about 9 of them.

But if you're in TF2 for the hat-trading metagame you're gonna need a LOT more than 12 pages, and if you're one of those "gotta catch 'em all" collectors then we've finally found someone crazier than Prosper.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom