Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Insurgency, Day of Infamy (standalone) and Sandstorm

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I recently started playing Insurgency (thx again hivemind!) and after 177h I must say I'm really enjoying the game. Then I looked for the thread and noticed that I would have to necro a REALLY old thread (that is mostly about the mod) so...whatever. Insurgency brings almost all the features that you guys tend to praise in FPS'es so I'm assuming the reason there isn't much discussion about the game is because most ppl don't know about it. I sure as fuck didn't. Ok, let's do a bulletpoint TL;DR:

Insurgency
  • Used to be a Source mod, became a gaem. Cheap af
  • No regenerating lifebar bs
  • No HUD
  • No popamole sticky cover mechanic shit
  • YUGE open level design with a shitload of flanking options
  • 1 shot kills everywhere
  • bullets go through most objects with ease and killing someone behind a wall is very satisfying
Here a decent video review:

Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/222880/

Day of Infamy
  • Used to be an Insurgency mod, but it's now a standalone game. Also cheap
  • WW 2. Brings some extra depth with artillery and whatnot.
  • Favorably compared with Red Orchestra 2 and Day of Defeat. I only played the latter, so... =/
  • Reminds me of Medal of Honor and all the fun we had playing on LAN back in the day :positive:
Video thingy:

Insurgency: Sandstorm
  • Insurgency is getting a more modern version, ditching Source for UE4. Not much is known at this point (other than the fact that the game is getting ported to consoles :mixedemotions:)
https://newworldinteractive.com/announcing-insurgency-sandstorm/

Discuss!!!

Ivan

Arcane
sandstorm-1.jpg

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Sandstorm is gonna look really p. that much is granted. I only worry that they might dumb it down to please console peasants. Ain't gonna pre-order it, that's for sure.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thinking of checking it out when on a sale. I got Insurgency and played it for months, but then I deleted it to make room for Red Orchestra 2 on my hard disk. :M

These days I mostly play RO2 but Day of Infamy looks good.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Bah, sandstorm story seems to be some pc tripe about a stronk womyn and her sister and whatnot. Massive :decline:. I'm hoping the mp isn't shit.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
INSURGENCY: SANDSTORM MEDIA RELEASE
POSTED ON FEBRUARY 8, 2017

On February 1st and 2nd at the Le What’s Next de Focus event in Paris, France we presented 39 interviews to international games media with an update on Insurgency: Sandstorm. There was a media embargo that prevented both the media and us from releasing this information until today. Without further adieu, here is an update on some key features you can expect in Sandstorm along with two new screenshots and concept art illustrating the story premise that provides context to the world we are building.

Insurgency: Sandstorm is a sequel to Insurgency that is bringing renowned hardcore shooter gameplay to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Steam next year*, published by Focus Home Interactive. Also available on Steam, Sandstorm is using the Unreal Engine 4 platform to fulfill the potential of New World’s talented indie team. At its core, Sandstorm features the close-quarters infantry combat for multiplayer and cooperative gameplay that has established Insurgency as a cult classic for over 3 million players on Steam.

* Note: We are hoping to have a closed alpha on PC by the end of this year.

Additional features confirmed at this time are:

• Expanded environment scale.
  • Light vehicles for transportation and fire support.
  • New game modes designed for vehicle gameplay.
  • Competitive matchmaking, anti-cheat, and rankings system.
  • Improved ballistics system including bullet drop and travel time.
  • Interacting with the environment by climbing ladders and door breaching.
New World is also venturing into new territory with a story mode for 4-player cooperative and singleplayer gameplay. A groundbreaking narrative for the shooter genre, the story focuses on a female protagonist. Thematically, Insurgency: Sandstorm is inspired by real events and people, however this is a fictional story and characters.

STORY PREMISE & CONCEPT ART

A few years ago, in a familiar setting, the sandy streets of an Iraqi village. The tone of Insurgency: Sandstorm’s narrative shifts the typical shooter inspiration away from blockbuster military power fantasy movies more towards a dark and understated indie film rooted in reality.

With depth to the narrative, you must look beyond the surface, away from these typical streets, behind closed doors, in a dark room to discover our female protagonist. She is enslaved by radical insurgents, along with her sister and other young girls held captive.

A sandstorm engulfs the village and fighting erupts. By chance, a hole is blown into the wall and the girls escape. In the confusion of the storm, our protagonist is separated from her sister and friends. She is alone, wandering in the desert.

Present day. Our protagonist has enlisted with a rebel faction, fighting against the radical insurgents. They push through battered villages, hitting the insurgents hard. One day, a key piece of information is discovered and our protagonist’s world is not what it seems.

She breaks free from the security of the main group to embark upon a personal quest. Accompanying her is another female fighter, her best friend who was held captive with her years earlier. Along for the journey are two foreign vigilantes: an American combat veteran of the war in the Middle East, and a French citizen who has never seen combat.

Along the path of their journey, several challenges emerge. Without a military force backing you up, that force may become an obstacle.

Essentially, the narrative is a road-trip story. It’s about these characters bonding through the many challenges that arise. Their diverse experience leads to interesting character dynamics, but ultimately their actions extend beyond their own volition.

We are very excited to venture into the realm of storytelling to offer more depth for Insurgency. Shooters do not have to be about mindless killing, so players can stop and ask questions about the world a game represents, and find answers within the narrative. Historically, the avant garde in many art forms are who disrupt and redefine genres. For a decade Insurgency has been in that position, and we are emerging from indie obscurity to innovate the FPS genre.

Source: http://newworldinteractive.com/insurgency-sandstorm-media-release/

Notice the stronk mudslime womyn. I hope multiplayer saves the day. To the guy rating my post as "butthurt": please enlighten us on how this plot doesn't reek of PC virtue signaling nonsense. :smug:

Ivan

Arcane
no
Insurgency is great. They're focusing on a female civilian turned soldier bodes well for their commercial success. I wonder if they're going for a "Brothers" feel for the narrative. I'm expecting the campaign to feel very segmented (Cod4).

Last edited:

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Anyone know if Squad or Rising Storm 2: Vietnam are any good?

Squad is good. It's still in Early Access and devs are slowly rolling out maps and other features. In terms of gameplay, graphics great and having a microphone is pretty much required, especially when you need to communicate with other squad members.

Each game is dependent on whether your squad leader is good. Sometimes you'll get a veteran who'll make tactical decisions that'll make the game more fun. Other times you'll get a dumbass casual who has no idea what he is doing and fuck the squad over.

You'll also need to work with the game discourages lone wolves.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Anyone know if Squad or Rising Storm 2: Vietnam are any good?
RS2 Vietnam is gut, worth every penny. Lot of napalm, vietcong traps and best class in the game is VC engineer armed with hunting shotgun (boy, they have a range, not like 99% of first person trash where they are useless beyond bad breath range), hoe and RPG-7 (be aware that siting behind engie firing RPG7 at heli is fatal).
Oh and there was update recently where they added DU army.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Rising Storm 2: Vietnam
RS2:Vietnam is good. I think it's better than Insurgency and has replaced it for me because it does large scale combat a lot better. Whether or not you want to give Tripwire your money is a different matter, as Tripwire has done some really shitty things in the past. I bought it off of a CD key reseller site because it was cheaper and I was iffy on Tripwire. The team behind Vietnam are good people, but a lot of the others (especially leadership) are not at Tripwire.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
So G3A3 confirmed? I can see one in that little artwork at the end.
It's what I use in Insurgency Standalone by modding a FAL to look like a G3.

TedNugent

Arcane
Does anyone know if they have implemented ballistic trajectory modeling, or is this still a close combat game?

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
No confirmation on it yet. I think it's still hitscan based rather than having some sort of ballistics simulation like Rising Storm 2.

pizza_microwave

Liturgist
Insurgency is one of those games that are good, but ruined by the seemingly braindead community. Having played circa 50 hours only, every hour was insufferable due simply to people not playing the objective, but instead, just running around like headless chickens hoping to get as many frags as they can; reducing the match to a trigger happy galore. Just like John Gibson said, COD has put a strain on shooters like Insurgency and RO, if your first person shooter game will not appeal to COD gamers then in the abandonware bin you go. Albeit I haven't actually tried to find dedicated communities that play the game the way it should be played and/or play with friends, I do think that if a person will delve into the game solo they will have a bad bad time.

Sandstorm looks promising, but the decision of not spending a dime in marketing is fairly questionable, we're talking about a game that is still considered underground (kinda, 1,920 playing half an hour ago; which is not LawBreakers level hah), and considering the raise of shamefully dead games these past years, one can only wonder what will happen to Sandstorm (Rising Storm 2 has four times less players than Insurgency lol). Though I only wish good luck and success to Sandstorm.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Insurgency has a braindead community primarily because it was a popular youtube game for a short period and the game was on constant sales for less than 5 bucks. The braindeadness of a small and not too popular game is based pretty heavily on the price for entry, Rising Storm 2 is a minimum of 10 bucks on a CD key site and it attracts less of an audience, and the audience it has is largely fans of older Red Orchestra games which are less braindead.
The Insurgency playerbase isn't that bad but you gotta look around for better servers and play less popular modes. Pub players are 98% of the time retarded.

I don't really get your Call of Duty point at all, it is very silly considering RS and Insurgency are PC shooters while COD isn't very popular on PC, none of the games break the top 10 most played on Steam and IIRC all CoD games combined have less than 30,000 players during peak hours. CoD is largely a console shooter played by console players. I think it is rather the result of having a lot of overlap with Counter Strike instead. Don't get me wrong, I fucking love CS but the CS community is mostly made up by cheaters, slavs and kids, sometimes all 3 combined in one.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Gameplay wise I think the source mod is kinda shit but it would attract a smaller playerbase and smaller almost always means better.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Doesn't look too good, compared to Insurgency Standalone.
From all the gameplay I have seen, the guns don't appear to have any recoil and the gameplay looks really run & gun. I don't think the hipfire mechanic from old Insurgency is in the game either, where the bullets didn't just go where the center of your screen is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom