Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter INSOMNIA: The Ark - dieselpunk sci-fi action-RPG set on a decaying space station

polo

Magister
I like both, but this is the codex my friend, get used to it. Its like complaining about Grimoire not gettin released.

RTwP > TB. And I'm so glad to see that there are indie developers out there who don't pay attention to loudmouth TB fanboys.

Speaking of TB fanboys... you guys are are worse than CoD kids. Seriosly. At least they don't post in every thread on every forum telling everyone how every game must be like CoD.
Get AIDS.

DeepOcean

Arcane
RTwP + low budget, ohh boy, at least there is hope for anything except the combat.

laclongquan

Arcane
As a guy who like Fallout Tactic (bastardized RT), Afterlight and other RTwP, I dont feel this feature is going to suck. It will take some used to, is all.

The technical word for the setting is generation ship. Which is a very nice setting that is rarely developed.

The single concern I have is camera and corridor/corner. It can be a gamebreaker, coming from where NWN2 is.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hello everyone! During our latest activity on Kickstarter we have already showed you screenshots of different variations ofInSomnia inventory system and items. This update will give you more details on this matter along with the philosophy that inspired us along the way. And yes you can expect some demo news today as well!

Charm and motivation
Classical isometric RPGs such asFallout and Arcanum have always attracted us with many things including all those precious items that we could find, craft, loot, receive as a reward, steal (what? you heard something? we said nothing) and barter.

Let's face it - the main reason for this never ending process is our unstoppable desire to have the best weapons, armor, ammo and all sorts of other equipment to suit our role playing needs. However this can become pretty boring with time: checking stats of items over and over again can hardly be defined as "fun". So what exactly makes the whole inventory management so memorable and interesting in the first place?

Stop number one: the look of the items. Juicy, sexy icons (yes we just used that word) subconsciously make players collect things and stock them somewhere no matter how useful, unique or expensive they are. Having something like this displayed in barter window makes people spend all their in-game money, consider stealing or even killing merchant NPCs. Items become an additional motivation to interact with the game, make decisions and face the consequences.

Stop number two: the textual descriptions which provide us with more information on all the items we have. This is a perfect tool for even deeper immersion of the players into the game's universe. More than that descriptions can be damn handy and witty at times too!

And lastly - thequantity of items. Modern AAA RPGs are always about tons of everything scattered around, There's nothing wrong with that, however having so many items can spoil the whole thing. In other words quantity doesn't equal quality. Who needs dozens variations of the same rifle when it looks exactly the same no matter what you read in the description?

While working onInSomnia we try to keep all those great features in mind, and hopefully you will have the same nostalgic feeling while dragging items here and there between the inventory screens just like in good old days.

Demo news
Quick items access bar in UI
We've already passed this information to some of the people who've been asking in the comments section before, and now we are bringing it to everyone: this weekend we will have our next major internal play-test of the current demo build. It means there are really good chances of you getting theInSomnia demo in your loving hands next week!

We want this to happen as much as you do, so let's keep finger crossed and believe that play-test results will be as good as we expect them to be. Be sure not to miss our next Kickstarter update with additional details in the following days.

Thanks for all your support, and until next time!

Roobenator

Novice
I've been impressed with this game since I discovered it and backed it. Everything about it rings that I might enjoy it. The quality over quantity -item philosophy is close to my heart and I've always felt estranged with looting thousands of worthless forks and knives type stuff in games like Skyrim. Maybe the level of writing and dialog can be lower, but that's just my bias against Russian to English translation.

Me having such good vibes about the game is such a high contrast on how the codex has received it. Could someone please elaborate? What could go wrong?

Nael

Arcane
We've already passed this information to some of the people who've been asking in the comments section before, and now we are bringing it to everyone: this weekend we will have our next major internal play-test of the current demo build. It means there are really good chances of you getting theInSomnia demo in your loving hands next week!

So... Like.... Uhh.... Next Thursday?

:troll:

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Charm and motivation
Classical isometric RPGs such asFallout and Arcanum have always attracted us with many things including all those precious items that we could find, craft, loot, receive as a reward, steal (what? you heard something? we said nothing) and barter.

Let's face it - the main reason for this never ending process is our unstoppable desire to have the best weapons, armor, ammo and all sorts of other equipment to suit our role playing needs. However this can become pretty boring with time: checking stats of items over and over again can hardly be defined as "fun". So what exactly makes the whole inventory management so memorable and interesting in the first place?

Stop number one: the look of the items. Juicy, sexy icons (yes we just used that word) subconsciously make players collect things and stock them somewhere no matter how useful, unique or expensive they are. Having something like this displayed in barter window makes people spend all their in-game money, consider stealing or even killing merchant NPCs. Items become an additional motivation to interact with the game, make decisions and face the consequences.

Stop number two: the textual descriptions which provide us with more information on all the items we have. This is a perfect tool for even deeper immersion of the players into the game's universe. More than that descriptions can be damn handy and witty at times too!

And lastly - thequantity of items. Modern AAA RPGs are always about tons of everything scattered around, There's nothing wrong with that, however having so many items can spoil the whole thing. In other words quantity doesn't equal quality. Who needs dozens variations of the same rifle when it looks exactly the same no matter what you read in the description?

While working onInSomnia we try to keep all those great features in mind, and hopefully you will have the same nostalgic feeling while dragging items here and there between the inventory screens just like in good old days.

Oh yiss! Finally somebody with proper approach to itemisation.

giphy.gif

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hello everyone! Last weekend we had our second major play-test of InSomnia demo version, and it turned out to be pretty successful one. To give you a better taste of what it was like we would like to show you a few behind the scenes videos with the actual gameplay:

Don't forget to turn on the English subtitles for more details!
No subtitles here but still quite a few nice InSomnia runs
And here goes some pictures taken during the show in Mono Studio where InSomnia is being developed:

Impressive chalkboard in the background!
Some cool inspirational stuff hanging here and there
And a real life 1:1 helmet prototype forged especially for the game!
Screenshots
As we couldn't get you a gameplay video captured from the screens directly, we are providing you with some fresh demo screenshots instead:

So what's next?
Currently we are working on fixing the most obvious bugs that play-test revealed to give you the best InSomnia demo possible from the very start. Releasing demo this week is still the plan, so paying attention to our next Kickstarter update for more information sounds like a good idea.

laclongquan

Arcane
That is looking good~

Also. slow combat negate the RT aspect. After all, one major problem of RT is that we dont have time to think of tactics and have to rely on twitch. With slow RT, that is remedied.

Talking heads are good.

Still, one standard complaint I always pose: Not enough tits and asses?

Because I always choose female form and nude mod, that's why.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom