Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter INSOMNIA: The Ark - dieselpunk sci-fi action-RPG set on a decaying space station

Thonius

Arcane
GOD DAMN IT. I GAVE EM MONEY! AND THEY ASK FOR MORE?
PS.
I don't get it why they don't release it in EA?
EDIT
I think I got it, they want to emigrate using KS money.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Well it can happen, budgeting with no experience is p. hard.

Turns out giving money to unfinished project is risky huhhh.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Updated InSomnia demo screenshots and details
Posted by Studio MONO
Hello everyone! As we've told you before there's an updated InSomnia demo that's being in works for some time now. And we've got a bunch of juicy screenshots to show you today, click to open in high resolution:

The purpose of this new demo release is to give you a better understanding of other game mechanics covered in our previous updates.

This time you can expect to have an opportunity to fiddle withcrafting system...

...take a look at a global map of this giant space metropolis also known as Object 6...

...try a few skills in practice...

...experience spontaneous encounters...

...and even a few examples of generated quests...

See you inside InSomnia world again soon!

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
New KS update [link]

insomnia-demo-new-7.jpg

insomnia-demo-new-8.jpg

insomnia-demo-new-2.jpg
insomnia-demo-new-4.jpg
insomnia-demo-new-6.jpg
insomnia-demo-new-3.jpg
insomnia-demo-new-1.jpg
insomnia-demo-new-7.jpg

To waste these visuals is a sin.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I bet a lot of old-school fallout fans backed this up because of the name alone.

The game looks good but RTwP is a real turn off for me.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Object 6 overview video
Posted by Studio MONO
Hello! Today we will show a new video that is going to present you the first look of InSomnia's game world as a whole.

While watching this impressive demonstration of Unreal Engine 4 incredible capabilities we used to breathe life into InSomniauniverse you'll be also able to hear an amazing ambient soundtrack recorded for the game recently. This is sort of a meditative experience in the vein of Kubrick's "Space Odyssey"so you might get some extra joy if you are a fan of this classic:

A real-time in-game capture
We also made a bunch of additional screenshots to sweeten up this reveal even more. Click for high definition:

So basically this is the current state of space station general look. The main game story will evolve inside this giant floating metropolis. It consists of a few sectors and each one of them will have its own global map.

And in case you've ever wondered how something like this might look in real world, then this photo was taken just for you:

Until next time!

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
this is why it's not a good idea to support eastern european developers, so bad lol

exceptions include stalker and underrail

polo

Magister

I thought it was pretty good.
I was pretty excited about this until the "we need more money" update.
But then i was also excited about PoE.

polo

Magister
So, you backed an RPG huh? Well, FUCK YOU BRO, we wanted an action game.
(Still gonna play it tho, visuals look way too good, im curious)

ArchAngel

Arcane
Seems this turned into roller game. And just like with Witcher 2 I am no longer interested.

Can people at least try to make them realistic. Nobody outside of no armor ninjas used rolling in combat in history. Maybe some Samurai or such.

Fuck games that make rolling around main gaming mechanics.

Jrpgfan

Erudite

What do combat mechanics have to do with a game being a RPG or not? Is VtMBL less RPG than Arcanum because it has action-based combat instead of TB?

ArchAngel

Arcane

What do combat mechanics have to do with a game being a RPG or not? Is VtMBL less RPG than Arcanum because it has action-based combat instead of TB?
I don't remember rolling in VtMB :)

polo

Magister

Well, yeah, every game is an RPG, even fifa in career mod brah. But seriously, they pitched it as RTwP combat game, and rolling just throws that to shit. Rolling mechanic changes the RPG game with action elements, to ACTION game with RPG elements.
You could say, Witcher 3, Souls games, etc are RPGs, but those are Action games with RPG elements. If u know what i mean. (I do like those games a lot tho, because popamole blood supremacy).

Jrpgfan

Erudite

Well, yeah, every game is an RPG, even fifa in career mod brah. But seriously, they pitched it as RTwP combat game, and rolling just throws that to shit. Rolling mechanic changes the RPG game with action elements, to ACTION game with RPG elements.
You could say, Witcher 3, Souls games, etc are RPGs, but those are Action games with RPG elements. If u know what i mean. (I do like those games a lot tho, because popamole blood supremacy).

DS can be called an action game with RPG elements because it focuses more on the combat/action than on what I would consider RPG elements(C&C, story/dialogues, character devlopment and all that stuff). I really fail to see how rolling alone would make it impossible for a game to be as much of an RPG as VtMBL or even Arcanum.

ArchAngel

Arcane

DS can be called an action game with RPG elements because it focuses more on the combat/action than on what I would consider RPG elements(C&C, story/dialogues, character devlopment and all that stuff). I really fail to see how rolling alone would make it impossible for a game to be as much of an RPG as VtMBL or even Arcanum.
Probably because combat that plays like Dark Souls pushes away people that enjoy good dialogue, good C&C and quality NPCs and companions. And devs know that so don't bother having that, but put more stuff that Dark Souls fans like.

You can ask your question for Diablo like games as well. What is preventing Diablo 3 to have open world, awesome story and engaging quests and lots of C&C?
Well people that play aRPGs don't read, don't care and don't want that. They skip it all to go kill more enemies and collect more loot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom