Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter INSOMNIA: The Ark - dieselpunk sci-fi action-RPG set on a decaying space station

Roobenator

Novice
I see this game being made by Russians definately a selling point. I hope there is an option for Russian voices with English subs. Playing Metro 2033 was really atmospheric that way.

Also the hunched npcs, naturalistic looking concept art (which I hope transfers to the game), rusty, dark ambiance etc. I'm not saying these are attributed solely on the makers being Russians, but that all resonates so deeply, from what I understand, what their experiences were during the Soviet era and the disaster of a Russia immediately after the fall. Rampant alcoholism, suffering old folks, people peddling on the streets to trade their things for food and everything falling apart. I don't know but that imagery has makings for a great post-apocalyptic game.

Lhynn

Arcane
TBH i kinda like this better, was never too invested in iso camera for just 1 character in a real time game. i care about the others elements of the game a lot more.

Nael

Arcane
No isometric, no interest in this.
:keepmymoney:

Yeah, because trying to rotate a camera around and around and around just to see something my character is standing right in front of is FUCKING AWESOME AND I MUST HAVE IT!

Rake

Arcane
I would prefer 2D or at least fixed camera so don't start that with me.
But FP/OTS are instant no buys for me

Nael

Arcane
Agreed.

Following the latest Kickstarter update there seems to be a new demo video out;

I sort of miss the isometric (read; ) view here, it looks a bit Mass Effect'y...

tl;dw

Watched the video. He claims delays were result of adding more areas and content increasing a playthrough from 20-30 hours originally to 50-65 hours. Riiiiiight :ibelieveincleve:

One thing that piqued my interest though was that missions will be time-sensitive. If someone sends you on a rescue mission or whatnot your opponents aren't just sitting around waiting for you to show up.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
tl;dw

Watched the video. He claims delays were result of adding more areas and content increasing a playthrough from 20-30 hours originally to 50-65 hours. Riiiiiight :ibelieveincleve:
Yeah, not a good sign... :?

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
It's not isometric, because it serves the RT combat better i think.

This game on a TB system would be 10x better. As it is, I'm not really impressed with the combat part...

ArchAngel

Arcane
I don't understand people on Codex, you are actually complaining that they will make a longer game instead of the short episodic one?
While in Exoplanet topic you complained they are making an episodic one?

So basically, the whole point is to complain about something?

I don't understand people on Codex, you are actually complaining that they will make a longer game instead of the short episodic one?

lfq9KlU.png

Nael

Arcane

I don't think Hamster and I were complaining that they were moving away from an episodic game. I meant that there has been excuse, after excuse, and delay, after delay with this game and it smells more and more like a scam every day.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I don't think Hamster and I were complaining that they were moving away from an episodic game. I meant that there has been excuse, after excuse, and delay, after delay with this game and it smells more and more like a scam every day.
I love how people throw stupid words around without a care in the world. How is it a scam when they keep making progress videos and invite players to come and test the current state of the game?

Mustawd

Yeah, because trying to rotate a camera around and around and around just to see something my character is standing right in front of is FUCKING AWESOME AND I MUST HAVE IT!

did you not read!!?? No Isometric no monies!! How is this a hard concept?

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014

Well, i don't see any reason to suspect dishonest intentions from the developers, what i am worrying about is their ability to actually deliver the quality of writing and gameplay needed to capture players attention for 60 hours.

Pillars of Eternity and Wasteland 2 while not at all bad games, both turned into borefests soon after midpoint because writing and gameplay quality were good enough for 20 hour game, not 60 hour one. At least that was my impression.

And that were veterans of the industry making them, not indie newbies.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Demo release date and further plans
Posted by Studio MONO

It's almost time to start our journey to the Evacuation point
Hello everyone! Probably all of you have already seen our firstvideos of InSomnia powered with Unreal Engine 4 which were shot last weekend during our latest play-test of the demo. Since then we've been working hard to fix and improve every aspect of this first portion of the game so you would have even greater experience while playing it. This update will point out a few important things associated with the demo release which we want you to know.

So, when the demo is going to be released?
This is probably one of the most popular questions we get lately (no idea why), and finally we are ready to answer it: the demo will be available on Tuesday, September 15th. You will be notified via email with all necessary download links.

A few words on the demo feedback
We are sure that after playing the demo all of you will have tons of great ideas you would like to share with us. Kickstarter and social media services are all great places to communicate, however having a separate forum board sounds like a really good idea anyway.

Previously we already launched a similar platform on our website but this proved to be a bit of a rushed decision, as at that time we were short on human resources to maintain it properly.

Impress your friends with unspeakable beauty of Object 6 residents!
This time we will be able to start delivering things that we promised regarding the forum: cool badges and even custom avatars for your pleasure based on some of the characters you'll be able to meet later in the game! English language support included.

We will give you more details on this matter along with the demo download links next Tuesday.

Nael

Arcane
I wonder what the odds are of the demo being released today are...?

:ibelieveincleve:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom