Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Infra Arcana - An H.P. Lovecraft/Horror based Roguelike

non

Infra Arcana
Developer
Are there any improvements on the generator concerning secret/locked rooms and their loot?
Btw sometimes it seems the stairs are spawned too close.
I don't remember doing any algorithmic improvements, maybe tweaked some numbers. Heavy changes to map generation is something I'd rather not do at the moment ;-)

Btw sometimes it seems the stairs are spawned too close.
You mean the stairs are too close to your starting position on the map?

Edit: I looked at 10 or so levels now, and in all of them the stairs spawned pretty much as far away as possible. I did add a check that levels aren't generated with very few rooms recently though - because I noticed that sometimes (rarely) it could create really cramped maps with like two or three rooms. I think it can still happen, but it should be even more rare now.

eXalted

Arcane
Yes, it could be just a feeling though as now completing a depth is faster because now with the new changes I tend to fight less (I play rogue),

non

Infra Arcana
Developer
Yes, it could be just a feeling though as now completing a depth is faster because now with the new changes I tend to fight less (I play rogue),
You're playing v19.1-beta.2 ?

The real v19.1 should be out this week btw - there's quite a lot of changes since the latest beta (lots of feedback).

eXalted

Arcane
The real v19.1 should be out this week btw - there's quite a lot of changes since the latest beta (lots of feedback).
Yes, I'm playing the latest and I dig it a lot. Is there a changelog for the upcoming version?

non

Infra Arcana
Developer
I can see the Developer tag under my name now at least. Thanks!

non

Infra Arcana
Developer
Yes, I'm playing the latest and I dig it a lot. Is there a changelog for the upcoming version?
There's no changelog from 19.1-beta.2 to 19.1, only a complete changelog of 19.0 to 19.1.

Git commit history would probably be the best way to check updates from the last beta to 19.1 (or possibly a diff of the changelog files at those two points).

non

Infra Arcana
Developer
v19.1 released!

Downloads:
https://sites.google.com/site/infraarcana/downloads

Changelog:
Gameplay
* Spells have basic/expert/master tiers instead of a skill percentage - higher tiers can be achieved by picking traits for various spell domains (e.g. "Lesser Invocation" to cast all attack spells at expert level)
* Reworked the spell skill bonuses for all spells
* Lowered the spirit cost for many spells
* The Occultist receives halved shock for casting spells (not just from using strange items)
* Spellcasting is now generally more powerful than before, and scales to be more useful by mid/late game
* Darkbolt and Azathoth's Wrath do random damage within a range, instead of a fixed number
* Being Blessed/Cursed affects the shock cost of casting spells, instead of the spirit cost
* The spell "Healing" is now also available for the player
* The potion "See Invisible" is now a spell instead
* Added spell "Transmutation" (convert items)
* Added spell "Subdue Weapons" - learned simultaneously as "Animate Weapons" (very cheap spell which drops all visible Animated Weapons)
* Added spell "Spell Shield" - grants spell resistance until a spell is blocked (same effect as the spirit traits)
* Removed Potion of Clairvoyance
* The Potion of Invisibility effect ends when attacking or casting spells, and has much shorter duration
* Removed the "Sacrifice Life"/"Spirit" spells
* The spell "Summon Creature" picks more sensible monsters when cast by the player (e.g. a Wolf will not appear when cast at Master level)
* Improved AI of player allied monsters - they are now much more active in pursuing enemies
* Added trait "Stout Spirit" (before "Strong"/"Mighty Spirit")
* Added trait "Absorption" for Occultists - blocking a spell restores 1d6 Spirit
* Added trait "Resistant" - halved damage from fire and electricity
* Mind Eaters (now called Mind Leeches) can no longer paralyze the player
* The "snake emerge" and "wall crumbling" events are much rarer
* "Snake pit" rooms now contains much fewer monsters (instead of filling the whole room)
* Oozes have much shorter awareness duration and tend to spawn in smaller groups
* Keziah Mason starts together with Brown Jenkin, instead of spending a turn to summon it when she sees the player
* Monsters now attempt to detect the player by vision on standard turns, instead of on their own turns (to prevent very fast monsters from detecting the player too easily)
* Ravens, Bats, and Vampire Bats no longer actively moves towards the player, but will attack if adjacent
* Byakhees are slower
* Ghoul characters have +10% speed and +1 natural Armor Point
* "Infravision" has been changed to the ability to see in darkness instead (this means Ghoul characters can fully see in dark rooms)
* Adjusted Potion of Poison duration so that it's guaranteed to be non-lethal for any non-diseased player character with full hit points
* Poison damage is slower, but poisoning generally lasts longer
* XP gained from Monoliths increased from 15% to 20%
* Rod of Cloud Minds (which the Rogue starts with) now only requires 90 turns to recharge (or 45 with the Electrically Inclined trait)
* Unidentified Rods do not display their recharge countdown - attempting to use an unidentified Rod before it's recharged wastes a turn (with the same message as if the effect is unknown), but does not reset the countdown
* Removed the damage bonuses from the Marksman traits (it made ranged combat very overpowered)
* Removed Armor Points bonus from Tough/Rugged traits
* Added trait "Thick Skinned", which gives +1 Armor Point
* Each melee trait gives +5% chance to evade melee attacks
* The War Veteran starts with a Flak Jacket instead of a Leather Jacket
* The base chances for bashing doors open and pushing lids are higher
* Throwing knives do 2d3 damage (avg 4.0) instead of 1d6 (avg 3.5), and have +10% hit chance
* Rocks no longer have a hit chance bonus, and do less damage
* Increased backstab bonus for Daggers and for the Vicious trait
* The Imperceptible trait is only available for Rogues
* The Mi-go Electric Gun runs on Hit Points instead of Spirit, and does less damage
* The "auto move" command ("e") now also stops before hanging vines
* Greatly reduced the ability penalties for wearing Iron Suit, and slightly reduced the penalties for the other armors
* Putting on, taking off, or dropping armor now takes multiple turns
* Properties applied from monster attacks (such as paralyzation or blindness) have a certain percent chance to get applied - many attacks still have 100% chance to apply their effect, but some now have a lower chance (such as paralyzation from White Spider bites)
* Paralyzation can be re-applied while already active
* Paralyzed actors always have 100% speed, so that very fast monsters (such as Bats) does not immediately start moving again
* Much higher chances that monsters become "wary" first, instead of immediately detecting the player
* When monsters detect the player due to sounds, they pause for one turn (just like they already did when detecing by vision)
* Burning no longer completely prevents reading manuscripts or casting spells - instead there is a 50% chance to fail (wasting the manuscript or spirit upon failure)
* Removed the regeneration aspect from the Orb of Life
* The Horn of Banishment now also works on Major Clapham Lee's summoned "Tomb Legions"
* Gas masks now also protects against gas explosion traps
* Insanity increments are higher than before, and randomized
* Shock from carrying disturbing items reduced to 0.05% shock per turn (from 0.1%)
* The Rogue background receives -25% passive shock (instead of -50%)
* Reduced the penalty for each wound to -5% melee hit chance (instead of -10%), -5% dodging (instead of -10%), and no penalty to ranged attacks (instead of -5%)
* The Survivalist trait completely removes the penalties to hit chance and dodging from wounds
* Being Frenzied allows waiting in place (with "5" or ".")
* Added some new mid/late game monsters
* Weakening now causes halved melee damage, instead of minimum melee damage
* Removed the Wolves from the intro level
* The Rejuvenator Device causes heavy shock when used
* Good properties no longer interrupt player actions when they are applied (e.g. using medical equipment is not interrupted by regaining spell resistance)

Interface
* Weapon names show average damage instead of dice rolls - melee weapons also show their "plus" damage bonus (not including any damage bonus from traits), e.g. "Machete 9.0 {+2} +0%" - the exact dice rolls can be seen in the detailed item description when viewing the item in the inventory
* Brighter interface color scheme (some menus could be difficult to read before)
* The descriptions for armors and gas masks includes their exact ability penalty values
* Multiple monsters had a red "E" as symbol when playing in text mode, they now use different colors from each other
* "Ornate Tombs" are now colored cyan instead (they were hard to distinguish from normal tombs)
* When viewing monster descriptions ("v"), the monster's hit chances and properties are no longer displayed (only the player's chance to hit the monster)
* Fixed Fire Hound projectile animation in tiles mode (a small "blast" tile instead of a bunch of forward slashes)
* When walking through water or mud, more descriptive messages are printed ("I wade slowly through the knee high water") instead of "splash" or "glop" - this is to emphasise that they cost an extra turn to move through
* When not wearing armor, the armor icon is drawn slightly darker than before
* Ravens are brighter (they could be hard to see)
* The high score list now also shows player background
* A game summary text file is always stored after the game (there is no menu option for this)
* You now also go to the postmortem menu after winning the game, and a game summary file is written
* When browsing high scores, selecting an entry shows the game summary for that entry
* The game no longer pre-loads the ambient sound effects (they are now only loaded on demand) - vastly reducing the program load time (should be nearly instant on most systems) and initial memory usage
* Seeing fire on the map now interrupts actions such as waiting or using medical equipment

Bug fixes
* On some machines, the random number generator would have a fixed seed (apparently, the C++ std::random_device can silently fall back on this method if it cannot find a source of randomness...), resulting in deterministic map generation, etc - the RNG is now seeded with the current time instead
* Fixed a bug which prevented accessing the manual ("Tome of Wisdom") from the esc-menu during a game
* Fixed a bug which removed the Sentry Drone monster from the game - preventing both usage of the Sentry Drone device, and hostile Sentry Drones from spawning on the map
* When Mi-go commanders dropped their armor on death, this was treated as if the player tried to unequip the armor
* The "wall collapse" event could crash the game in some situations
* The descriptions of "fast" monsters said that they appear to move "slowly"
* Fixed some typos

eXalted

Arcane
Oozes have much shorter awareness duration and tend to spawn in smaller groups.

Thank you!

buffalo bill

Arcane
Been playing this a bunch recently--still haven't won, but got down to level 16 recently and was killed by Zuul the Gatekeeper in a foolish second backstab attempt. Has anyone tried playing as a ghoul? That's the only class I've had difficulty getting anywhere with.

Trash Player

Scholar
Been playing this a bunch recently--still haven't won, but got down to level 16 recently and was killed by Zuul the Gatekeeper in a foolish second backstab attempt. Has anyone tried playing as a ghoul? That's the only class I've had difficulty getting anywhere with.
Same here, but I realized the best part about the ghoul PC is bonus speed. My best run is going the fast and stealthy route.
That -15% ranged is surely harsh.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Just finally got down to what I assume is the final level (for me 20) after the level that was just a bunch of bones and rats. Was using a rogue, at level seven at that point maxed on the stealth/dexterity tree. Got to the doors guarded by a bunch of creatures that were unbeatable by me in combat and they instantly saw through my stealth, then saw through again when I clouded their minds. I tried teleporting twice, but only ended back in the middle of the labyrinth of the level both times (I assume this one is not procedurally generated?).
What the hell am I supposed to do there? Sneaking seems impossible because of the water around the doors, even though I had the silent perk for the door. Dynamite I don't think would have worked. Luring them to another part of the map wouldn't have worked, due to the particular layout of that map. I want to beat this game, dammit!

buffalo bill

Arcane
Sometimes I accidentally walk into the exploding gas spores and kill my character in a rather silly way. Could there possibly be a prompt like there is for attacking with a ranged weapon?

Trash Player

Scholar
Just finally got down to what I assume is the final level (for me 20) after the level that was just a bunch of bones and rats. Was using a rogue, at level seven at that point maxed on the stealth/dexterity tree. Got to the doors guarded by a bunch of creatures that were unbeatable by me in combat and they instantly saw through my stealth, then saw through again when I clouded their minds. I tried teleporting twice, but only ended back in the middle of the labyrinth of the level both times (I assume this one is not procedurally generated?).
What the hell am I supposed to do there? Sneaking seems impossible because of the water around the doors, even though I had the silent perk for the door. Dynamite I don't think would have worked. Luring them to another part of the map wouldn't have worked, due to the particular layout of that map. I want to beat this game, dammit!
Dl20 is a mandatory fight but bypassable by a descent potion. There are still 10 levels of extra nastiness after that, then capping in a fight with the invisible high priest of the cult.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Dl20 is a mandatory fight but bypassable by a descent potion. There are still 10 levels of extra nastiness after that, then capping in a fight with the invisible high priest of the cult.
Ah damn, good to know! Thanks for the answer! Just gotta keep trying I guess

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
19.2 has been released.

* All items which gave XP on identification now instead gives XP when that item is found for the first time (except "Strange Devices") - the reason for this is to reduce the pressure to identify consumables as soon as possible, and also to have a more "natural" continuous stream of XP, rather than occasional bursts
* When carrying a Potion, the player eventually gets a "feeling" for if the Potion is benign or malign
* Increased minimum distance from player when spawning monsters (when entering a new map, or spawning over time)
* Hounds can no longer bash doors
* Reduced group sizes of Hounds
* Hound bites cause physical damage instead of elemental
* Leech type monsters apply indefinite properties (which can be cured) instead of directly affecting stats
* Slightly fewer monsters are spawned on the map
* Monsters can no longer cast "See Invisible"
* Some monsters now have more specialized spell selections (too many monsters could cast too many different spells)
* Monsters spawned from summoning spells only remains temporarily
* Summoning spells no longer have a risk to spawn hostile creatures
* Monsters cannot summon other monsters near the player from a distance (summoned monsters always appear as near the summoner as possible)
* The "Transmute" spell costs much less spirit to cast
* The spells "Summon Creature" and "Summon Mummy Servant" costs one less spirit to cast
* Animated weapons are stronger, but are permanently destroyed when "killed"
* When cast intrinsically (i.e. not from Manuscripts), some spells can be cast without making noise (this is specified in the spell descriptions)
* The Horn of Banishment now also works on Khephren's summoned Locusts, and on monsters spawned from traps
* Monsters spawned from traps now wait a bit before acting
* Using Rods causes less shock than before
* Removed the "Demolition Expert" trait
* Removed the "Observant" trait (the effects are Rogue background bonuses instead)
* The "Vigilant" trait grants awareness of all monsters within three steps - even if they are invisible, around the corner, or behind a door, etc (instead of only preventing backstabs)
* The "Silent" trait also prevents alerting monsters when wading through liquid
* With the "Rapid Recoverer" trait, Hit Point regeneration is 1 HP every 2nd turn (previously it only regenerated 1 HP every 5th turn)
* The "Survivalist" trait no longer has "Tough" as prerequisite
* The "Self-aware" trait has "Cool-headed" as prerequisite instead of "Observant"
* Melee traits no longer improves chance to evade melee attacks
* Room templates (loaded from file) are now considered unique, each type may only appear once per game
* Fountains with bad effects always dry up on the first quaff
* Added map feature "Alchemist's workbench", similar to bookshelf but may contain potions
* Some monsters such as Molds or common Rats have negative dodging ability (i.e. they are extra easy to hit)
* Leng Spiders have a ranged attack
* Polyp monsters can be knocked back (e.g. by kicking)
* Invisible monsters causes shock (with a fixed amount), provided that the monster cannot be seen, and the player is aware of the monster ("!" sign on the map), and their map cell is seen
* The Spirit Dagger does 300% extra backstab damage (just like normal daggers)
* While the player is using the Medical Bag, infections cannot turn into disease, and the infection turn count is frozen
* Updated the score formula to include turn count (lower turn counts give higher scores), also a winning game now guarantees higher score than a non-winning game
* Removed the Rod of Purge Invisible
* The Shockwave Device is a Rod instead
* The Horn of Deafening is a Strange Device instead
* Nicer tombs are guaranteed to contain better items (and common tomes MAY contain better items)
* Pitchforks gives +15% chance to evade melee attacks
* Sledgehammers no longer knocks the victim back
* Monsters become unaware after the player teleports, if they cannot see the player at the new position
* Ghoul characters can use their claws for destroying corpses (and cannot get sprains from this)
* The Ghoul traits "Foul" and "Toxic" also gives +1 claw damage
* Ghouls do not have access to any ranged weapon traits
* Removed armor bonus for Ghoul characters
* Ghoul characters never gets sprains from breaking down doors, destroying corpses, etc
* Removed the "flickering" effect of the Electric Lantern
* Shock is completely restored when taking a sanity hit
* The Incinerator is always aimed at the floor of the selected cell (no need for players to select a floor cell adjacent to the monster they are attacking)

Interface
* Monsters are drawn with magenta background when they have temporary negative properties (such as paralyzation)
* When viewing monster descriptions, temporary negative properties are listed
* Added information on high scores and memorial files in the manual
* Each section of the manual is shown on a separate screen, accessed from a menu
* The "auto move" feature stops at junctions etc (instead of after a fixed amount of steps)
* When selecting "New Journey" from the main menu, and a saved game exists, the game asks if you really want to start a new game
* Added option for disabling ambient sound effects
* Added option to ask for confirmation before drinking malign potions
* When playing in text mode, the old ascii art graveyard is shown in the postmortem menu screen again

Bug fixes
* Fixed a crash bug for the Incinerator weapon (the game could crash when the projectile reached its max range)
* Energy Vortexes were not resistant to electricity
* In the game summary, insanity symptoms were written in the wrong format (e.g. "Phobia of spiders", instead of "Had a phobia of spiders")
* Monsters no longer spawn over time on special levels (e.g. the "Egypt" level)

buffalo bill

Arcane
Awesome update, but I think I'm only getting xp when I get scrolls/potions from chests/etc, and not when I get them from off of the ground. Makes the game way harder. Probably a bug.

Edit: This was with a ghoul, and I just got xp from potion off of the ground with rogue. Will test more.

Last edited:

buffalo bill

Arcane
Not 100% sure, but I think the problem I had was not getting xp from scrolls/potions that are dropped from an enemy if it drops to the square you are standing on.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Nice update! Will try this afternoon. Got to the boss in 19.1, but he killed me in a tough fight where I did a lot of damage to him.

non

Infra Arcana
Developer
Awesome update, but I think I'm only getting xp when I get scrolls/potions from chests/etc, and not when I get them from off of the ground. Makes the game way harder. Probably a bug.

Edit: This was with a ghoul, and I just got xp from potion off of the ground with rogue. Will test more.
Not 100% sure, but I think the problem I had was not getting xp from scrolls/potions that are dropped from an enemy if it drops to the square you are standing on.
I've not seen or heard of an issue with this.

From my experience you get XP when stepping on items, when items spawn on you, when you loot chests, etc.

I tested killing a monster now, which dropped a scroll in my cell - and it gave me XP immediately:

z14nw9G.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom