Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Informal Market Research Questions

Alfons

Prophet
The problem I have with starting at zero is that it's fucking boring during the early game. You are a random asshole that can't do anything well, sometimes it's hard, sometimes it's easy but it's always boring. Enjoy barely shooting your shitty gun or barely swinging your shitty sword for the next 2-4 hours.

gestalt11

Arbiter
Zero to Hero is incredibly dumb from a "real world standpoint". By the time I was 18 I had been wrestling for 12 "seasons" (not really years as I did not do it continuously). That alone is enough to allow me to kick 80% of people's asses in a normal fist fight (since I was good enough to make it to a state tournament). A good high school wrestler (i.e. someone who has placed in a number of tournaments regularly) will cause a proficient grappler (say the equivalent of a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Blue or Purple belt) quite a lot of trouble even within their own style. When we ignore stylistic difference a "good" 18 year old wrestler is probably equivalent to a Blue belt and a very good one (say a state champion in a major state like Pennsylvania) is probably equivalent to a Purple Belt.

Training in combat such that one is merely proficient will make you literally react 5 times faster than a non-trained person. The difference between a BJJ Purple Belt and Brown is a rather subtle difference that honestly is almost impossible to represent in an RPG system. But in reality is something like 3 years of regular training.

RPG's progression is, in general, quite stupid. A BJJ Black Belt is something like 5-10 years of regular training in the making. Yet many RPG games go from zero to hero in a matter of months.

In fact its so preposterous that you might as well throw all consideration about "reality" out the window as you would need to re-write 90% of the genre, although oddly for correctly done AD&D first addition this is not really true if you read the rules about how a character is really supposed to gain levels and how long campaigns really take etc.

From a purely gaming standpoint I don't find Zero to Hero to be good a strategy. Sure its somewhat more "dramatic" but even when we throw "reality" completely out the window its still kind of stupid. Additionally its tactically boring. Personally I think it has no redeeming characteristics at all.

stray

Learned
Some action games I've noticed have avoided this entirely. Even while incorporating some RPG and leveling ideas. DMC/Batman/God of War/Bayonetta/and fighting games. They all have upgrading and a lot of skills, but you're no zero from the beginning. You're basically the same character from start to finish.

Not sure I've run into that with an RPG.

Training in combat such that one is merely proficient will make you literally react 5 times faster than a non-trained person. The difference between a BJJ Purple Belt and Brown is a rather subtle difference that honestly is almost impossible to represent in an RPG system. But in reality is something like 3 years of regular training.

RPG's progression is, in general, quite stupid. A BJJ Black Belt is something like 5-10 years of regular training in the making. Yet many RPG games go from zero to hero in a matter of months..

Not BJJ related, but I know what you mean. My brother was brown for years, and only because he and our instructor were seperated. The minute they hooked up, he just gave him black.

Last edited:

Neanderthal

Arcane
New marketing research question.

Do you think typing knowledge skills like knowledge of specific city to be tied to the map to show locations like shops etc.. is a good idea?

I'd say that your background'd decide what places you know like back of your hand, and i'd expand that with exploration, asking for directions and shit. Cities and settled areas you've got street names, numbers and all that so navigating there is easy, but off the beaten track, well I think you should have only sketchy knowledge with landmarks for reference and perhaps old drovers trails and paths. Wilderness remains dangerous and unexplored, with basic compass directions helping and wilderness lore being useful but only Rangers and Druids really being at home, probably because they're asking elementals, animals and trees who are their friends.

Then again devils in details innit? I suppose you could know rough neighbourhoods in cities and note em down, a good fence for knock off goods, a nice clean whorehouse, a smith who'll sell owt to anyone, etc. Details of the city that aren't on any map, but a local'd know.

Alfons

Prophet
Lhynn has a point though. 2/3 of your post is you talking about your wrestling endeavors to illustrate a point which is largely unimportant.

stray

Learned
I don't know if he's going for realism (as in a simulation or something) so much as just pointing out that improvement and scaling in RPGs is very game specific... it doesn't have any kind of resemblance to reality. It wouldn't hurt to learn from real life, even if you're not obsessive about "realism". No one "levels up" exactly. People have breakthroughs and bursts of inspiration and muscle memory that take them to a higher understanding, but games are their own peculiar world.

Mustawd

New marketing research question.

Do you think typing knowledge skills like knowledge of specific city to be tied to the map to show locations like shops etc.. is a good idea?

Maybe not shops...but I like the idea of finding hidden away spots...reminds me of the Cave Lore skill from the Avernum games. Although, that's more exploration on the world map. Not in town. But still...it's a cool idea. Like a streetwise kind of skill to make certain seedy aspects of towns accessible would be cool.

Mustawd

I don't know if he's going for realism (as in a simulation or something) so much as just pointing out that improvement and scaling in RPGs is very game specific... it doesn't have any kind of resemblance to reality. No one "levels up" exactly. People have breakthroughs and bursts of inspiration that take them to a higher understanding, but games are their own peculiar world.

Exactly. He's pointing out that RPGs' concept of improvement and periodization is kind of retarded. Which I agree with. If there was a way to improve on it to make it more realistic AND still make it a fun and convenient abstraction then I'd be for it.

Alfons

Prophet
I don't know if he's going for realism (as in a simulation or something) so much as just pointing out that improvement and scaling in RPGs is very game specific... it doesn't have any kind of resemblance to reality. It wouldn't hurt to learn from real life, even if you're not obsessive about "realism". No one "levels up" exactly. People have breakthroughs and bursts of inspiration and muscle memory that take them to a higher understanding, but games are their own peculiar world.
Doing what? If games get anything right about leveling is that progression is gradual most times. People don't learn any skills by a burst of inspiration. If you would make it more realistic you'd make it more boring. That's exactly what the guy said. It takes years to become good at something and if it's something physical it involves a fuckton of repetition. That is precisely why this type of realism shouldn't be in games.

Mustawd

Doing what? If games get anything right about leveling is that progression is gradual most times. People don't learn any skills by a burst of inspiration. If you would make it more realistic you'd make it more boring. That's exactly what the guy said. It takes years to become good at something and if it's something physical it involves a fuckton of repetition. That is precisely why this type of realism shouldn't be in games.

Repetition in UO was fun....:M

stray

Learned

That's why I don't want a simulation. But it didn't sound like he did either.

Maybe I just give people too much credit.

There's ways to take real things and make a gameplay concept out of them though -- while avoiding simulation.

Mustawd

Fuck, im really starting to understand why Jaesun points out join dates.

O que gajo

On a side note...you've been pretty crabby lately...

brazil-woman.gif

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah, I'm not a fan of real world progression either. I like linear progression that as you complete quests and kill/avoid things that you gain points that you can immediately use to improve your character. The points are a lot smaller than level based systems, but they are available immediately without confusion. Say you gain 2 xp for completing a quest and 2 xp for killing/avoiding an encounter. That gives you 4 xp that you put towards stats or skills to improve them immediately.

Lhynn

Arcane
The emphasis people put on join dates at this site is bizarre. I thought it was a joke at first.
Its just that weve had this conversation a lot of times, a lot more even before i ever came to the site im guessing. you, mustwad, gestalt, all been saying the same retarded things we did back in the day.
Anyway, if you want to look for an interesting take on progression you should check out underrail oddities system. If you want to look at a somewhat more realistic progression you could try morrowind.
But at the end of the day, it doesnt really matter what you go with as long as it fits your game and what you intend to do with it.

On a side note...you've been pretty crabby lately...
More like enjoy pointing out retardation and theres been plenty of it lately.

Reading stuff like this vomit:
The problem I have with starting at zero is that it's fucking boring during the early game. You are a random asshole that can't do anything well, sometimes it's hard, sometimes it's easy but it's always boring. Enjoy barely shooting your shitty gun or barely swinging your shitty sword for the next 2-4 hours.
When it doesnt need to be the case, low level can be as or more tense and interesting than high level depending on what choices you made and how you implemented them. RPGs usually find their sweetspot at mid levels, that much is true, but it absolutely doesnt need to be the case and the assumption that it does beacuse it happened before is flawed as fuck.

stray

Learned
Its just that weve had this conversation a lot of times, a lot more even before i ever came to the site im guessing. you, mustwad, gestalt, all been saying the same retarded things we did back in the day.
Anyway, if you want to look for an interesting take on progression you should check out underrail oddities system. If you want to look at a somewhat more realistic progression you could try morrowind.
But at the end of the day, it doesnt really matter what you go with as long as it fits your game and what you intend to do with it.

Fair enough. I'm been complaining about similar things just as long. Just that we're new here. These things are bound to pop up again and again.

I still can have fun though. It isn't gamebreaking. I'm pushing 40, so consider how long I've put up with different RPGs. :D

Alfons

Prophet
When it doesnt need to be the case, low level can be as or more tense and interesting than high level depending on what choices you made and how you implemented them. RPGs usually find their sweetspot at mid levels, that much is true, but it absolutely doesnt need to be the case and the assumption that it does beacuse it happened before is flawed as fuck.
It's just a matter of definition. In order for this discussion to actually go anywhere we first need to establish what the fuck "zero" is. When I think of zero I think of something along the lines of fallout or underrail. A guy that was scrubbing toilets recently and can't even step on a rat.

gestalt11

Arbiter
Some action games I've noticed have avoided this entirely. Even while incorporating some RPG and leveling ideas. DMC/Batman/God of War/Bayonetta/and fighting games. They all have upgrading and a lot of skills, but you're no zero from the beginning. You're basically the same character from start to finish.

Not sure I've run into that with an RPG.

Not BJJ related, but I know what you mean. My brother was brown for years, and only because he and our instructor were seperated. The minute they hooked up, he just gave him black.

It can be a very funky dynamic the difference between training twice a week versus 3 times a week can be quite large and the difference between 3 a week and 4 a week can be very small. Also the difference between brown and black is even more subtle and in BJJ in particular often has more to do with being actively involved in competition or teaching (technically Purple is qualified to teach but they want to put a boot in the the ass to brown's to be ambitious).

Without teaching they usually give a brown a black eventually, a guy I know just wanted to spar, he was brown for years and years, would skip all drilling and only showed up to spar. Eventually they just shrugged and gave him his black everyone knew he deserved it, but it just took longer. However he would also do tournaments which gives you credit in the BJJ world, but he just did em whenever he felt like it not as part of a competition team. Meh whatever that is such a subtle and even arbitrary difference that its not even useful for anything that is germaine to the thread. There are many Brown's who are essentially Blacks skill-wise but still stay a Brown for a year or more.

When you start someone off as a "first level fighter" this would be something like saying someone is roughly equivalent to a BJJ Blue Belt. Meaning you are competent and knowledgable. A responsible school would never allow someone to go out into the wide world without this sort of grounding. In a general sense it means you are competent in a decent but not necessarily huge range of moves and are well grounded in ALL basics. Basics (footwork, body structure etc) are the most important part of absolutely all forms of fighting. Such a person is usually dangerous with about 2-3 moves even against higher belts. Being well grounded in the basics and able to execute your favorite moves entails large amounts of drilling and sparring.

The whole idea of "zero to hero" in a class based game is completely retarded because of this dynamic. You simply can never be a class and be a zero. No order or school could ever exist without being known as completely worthless if they allowed people below this level to claim to be a real part of the school. Not only would it be recklessly irresponsible but it would make your school have a terrible reputation.

When you see a colored belt of a BJJ school with a good reputation you know that guy is someone who, no matter what, will give a person some trouble. You maybe don't expect a Blue to beat or Brown or Purple very often, but they still have to respect what the guy is going to do. My BJJ school didn't give me a colored belt until I got a silver medal in the Pan Am games at White Belt and I had already had 3 gold medals in local tournaments.

The whole story narrative of, for example, a Paladin from a Martial Religous order being a zero when it comes to fighting is so not just "unrealistic", its absolutely gobsmackingly stupid. Its on par with saying a person who has been a King for the past few years is living in a hovel in obscurity and suddenly becomes important. It just can't possibly make any sense. Its beyond "unrealistic" its completely illogical. Someone who shows up out of the blue and is the equivalent of a Teutonic Knight such that others of the order would not kick his ass until he was crippled for falsely claiming he deserved to be regarded as part of the order would be a highly highly dangerous individual even if it was still the case that Miyamoto Musashi school him. Even the newest and least experienced person of such an order would be a dangerous fighting man and such an order would never allow anyone to represent them who was not, in some cases they would literally kill you if you were in fact a "zero" and claimed to be of their "class".

Obviously this does not apply to the Tourist class in Nethack. Or games that use the "Oh you were awesome but you have amenesia and are now remembering how to be awesome". The amnesia thing is pretty tired and weak as story device. Its also pretty stupid for similar reasons when put into context of what it actually does though.

In a similar vein a Purple Belt is expected to have a working knowledge of most moves but perhaps only be an expert in his specialties. A Brown is expected to be an expert in a few more and a Black even more. But when you look at many RPGs being more advanced generally gives more "moves". In reality higher levels of skill almost always translate into better basics. This is probably unlikely to be modeled in games as giving more moves seems to be more pyschologically interesting or at least easier to sell. That is not always exactly true, for example, in ADOM something approaching this is meant to be captured in that skill system as you can master a skill early and then master more skills later on. In the end there is no such thing as a "Black Belt level move". In fact just about any move should be executable by a Blue Belt to a degree that it is dangerous if they specialize in it. Even a Black Belt can be forced to tap if they get stuck in the specialty submission of a Blue Belt, the difference is a Black Belt is generally so good and conversant at the basics that they don't get into a situation where that Blue Belt can actually get into a position where they can truly lockdown that move. I generally find the whole "level 18 skill" thing really dumb. But its not like "zero to hero" in a class based system where its literally illogical. Its just one of those things I don't sweat because I know many people need the carrot.

I think most people on some level realize the XP model which is mostly inherited from D&D is in many ways purely a gaming construct and in no way represents an accumulation of skill. Soldiers get better skills from drilling. Real fighting itself is extremely important but its for a different reason. Real fighting/competition refines your mentality about what works when, how you should approach things, and various other aspects of your fighting mentality(working through pain, being mentally tough etc.). It puts things to the test and is, IMO, absolutely necessary for being a truly "good" fighter. But its not what actually increases skill. That is practice. Perfect practice make perfect. This is unlikely to ever be captured by a game because, well, drilling is boring. I would much rather spar than drill. Sparring though is not the same as competition or real fights.

For the most part I am fine with the whole XP thing. Although sometimes I think it would be interesting if there were two tracks; a skill track and a veterancy track. Where veterancy was gained by killing things and skill was advanced in some other way. The problem is that in many RPGs there is not much other than killing to advance stuff. Although I guess veterancy could be killing and skill by like story advancement or whatever. But all in all for something like, say, an RPG you might as well just stick with XP by killing and getting too fancy or whatever really won't help anything.

We all know that many RPGs go through all sorts of tortured stupidity to make all this work. The number of "Oh by the way you got Amesnia" games in the RPG genre is pretty depressing (anywhere from Witcher to Eschalon) especially since its a complete cop out that is in no way adequate to be useful for the suspension of disbelief rather its tolerated because we know the systems need someway to start the character low so that people can get the progression carrots.

Fine I accept that XP (by killing/story or even the Oddity system in Underrail) is the simplest way to get a smooth linear advancement system even if it in no way even vaguely resembles how people actually acquire skills. Fine I accept that most people seem to have no understanding or care that "moves"/"feats" are not particularly linked to expertise and seem to like their carrots to be organized in a such a way that feats/moves are linked to levels in a regular and hierarchical manner. But the "zero to hero" thing is so illogically stupid in a class based game that it truly makes it impossible to have a game with such a premise that is actually a well imagined story. I could maybe see a skill based game working out if they had some sort of plausible reason for why you don't simply just immediately die at the first sign of real trouble. One of the only ones I can think of in which it works to some degree is Planescape:Torment but the central premise of the entire story deals with exactly this issue and is one of the reasons you can freely take levels of various classes. And I would submit to you that one of the reasons that PS:T is head and shoulders above many of these other offerings is directly because they had a premise and imagining that was not hamstrung from the beginning by things like this issue that completely errode foundational elements of your story. Its hard to build a good house with a poor foundation, the same is true of writing a good story.

Lhynn

Arcane
It's just a matter of definition. In order for this discussion to actually go anywhere we first need to establish what the fuck "zero" is. When I think of zero I think of something along the lines of fallout or underrail. A guy that was scrubbing toilets recently and can't even step on a rat.
Gothics 1&2 and risen 1&2 do a good job at starting you as a -10. you are literally the single most useless person in the entire world, its a fairly fun journey.

Fair enough. I'm been complaining about similar things just as long. Just that we're new here. These things are bound to pop up again and again.

I still can have fun though. It isn't gamebreaking. I'm pushing 40, so consider how long I've put up with different RPGs. :D
Ergo the need of some of quoting join dates. odds are, if its related to rpgs its been discussed to death, if its about fallout, im willing to bet some people here has actually died while discussing it.
Not saying dont talk bout it, maybe youll come up with new and interesting takes on it, just saying, if your join date gets quoted, odds are its for a very valid reason you have no way of knowing about beforehand.

stray

Learned
Gothics 1&2 and risen 1&2 do a good job at starting you as a -10. you are literally the single most useless person in the entire world, its a fairly fun journey.

Ergo the need of some of quoting join dates. odds are, if its related to rpgs its been discussed to death, if its about fallout, im willing to bet some people here has actually died while discussing it.
Not saying dont talk bout it, maybe youll come up with new and interesting takes on it, just saying, if your join date gets quoted, odds are its for a very valid reason you have no way of knowing about beforehand.

Part of the reason is fun too. People like bullshiting with the likeminded (or at least, loosely likeminded). I haven't been to an RPG site for awhile, so it's refreshing.

If it gets truly tiresome though, then it's time to move on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom