Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief Series Fan Patch Guide

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here are some tricks I picked up from lurking on the TTLG forums. Upgrading the Thief games used to be rather complex, but recently the process was made much simpler by the creation of several unified patches, with user-friendly installers that do all the hard work for you.

Thief: The Dark Project/Thief Gold:

TFix: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134733
Thief 1 Sound Enhancement Pack: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119405

Thief II: The Metal Age:

T2Fix: https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149669

Thief: Deadly Shadows:

Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138607

Last edited:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Thanks a lot for these fixes, downloading now! Having a lot of them all in one or two packs definitely makes things easier.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Additional note: The original retail version of TDS had an executable with DRM, that crashes on Windows Vista/7. It needs to be replaced with an unprotected exe, which was distributed with the game's level editor. However, this should not be a problem for the GOG or Steam versions.

And of course if you bought the original versions of these games they had official patches as well, although I think these fan patches may actually install those for you too.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Do include the mandatory stuff like DDFix and DarkWidescreen, that are needed to run on some systems, and I'll make this a sticky.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Do include the mandatory stuff like DDFix and DarkWidescreen, that are needed to run on some systems, and I'll make this a sticky.

Those are all included in these fan patches. DarkWidescreen was actually deprecated a long time ago.

spekkio

Arcane
Thanks, dawg.

I think I'm gonna need those when I finally switch to Win7 some day.

:roll:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
These are all Steam versions compatible?

They probably weren't designed for the Steam versions but I don't think there should be a problem with them. At worst, some of these patches are already built into the Steam versions and will be overwritten.

Feel free to try them out, and tell us the results.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The hardcore may wish to check out The Minimalist Project, which attempts to make T3 as similar as possible to the original two games. I've never used it and I'm not sure how nicely it plays with the Sneaky Upgrade, so beware.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
These are all Steam versions compatible?
Yes - I just tested all of them under Windows 7 x64. Any compatibility problems with the Steam version will likely exist in the retail versions as well.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Minor bug with TFix:
yeah, the upped brightness is an error, I was testing something and forgot to set it back to the default. use the slider to set it to a value you prefer

Default brightness is the middle of the slider.

spekkio

Arcane
Thanks, dawg.

I think I'm gonna need those when I finally switch to Win7 some day.

:roll:

If you've got a widescreen monitor then they're useful to you even now.
Yeah, I know. What I meant is that last time I played TG I used DDFix and Widescreen Mod and it worked flawlessly.
In the future (after switching to Win7) more modding will be necessary I'm afraid.

MessiahMan

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Damn! I didn't know DDFix was a thing of the past. I'll have to see about these new mods . Especially those sound upgrades.

How the hell do I download that thing from google docs or whatever? I just get an advertisement for the service.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Damn! I didn't know DDFix was a thing of the past. I'll have to see about these new mods . Especially those sound upgrades.

How the hell do I download that thing from google docs or whatever? I just get an advertisement for the service.

It is not a thing of the past. It's included in those mods.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Not really but curmudgeons that originally played in the software mode might disagree.

The one thing you want to do is to check the keybindings and harmonize them between the games. In particular you can use the same keybindings as t2 on t1/gold. One thing requires you to edit the keybinding file: t1/gold allows toggle run, quicksave and quickload! (but doesn't present the setting option on the keybinding game interface) You need to copy the equivalent t2 bindings in the line in the t2 file to the t1/gold one.

I also like to use a purely mouse driven interface so i put in mouse 1 to walk forward and toggle run on to caps lock (so you don't have to press shift all the time) and inventory cycle to mouse wheel (one direction), other direction being attack (or something, i forget). Use is right click.
Unless you have more mouse keys, this doesn't mean you don't need to touch the keyboard - creep is important for marble floors, sometimes you want to use the zoom-in, sometimes you need to change from running to creep often etc - but 96% of the time you don't.

Also you can probably ditch the attack key in the mouse interface and use something useful like creep - attacking in thief means strafe circling and that is something that the keyboard is more useful for.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I was thinking of playing thief series for a while but had problems with windows 7,i will try again with these.
So should i play with improved graphics for the first time?Do they change anything significant that kills of atmosphere?

As long as you avoid NTEX it should be a fairly authentic experience. Some of the graphics mods in TFix were actually built from assets taken directly from Thief 2.

Peter

Arcane
THANK YOU

Tried to get Thief Gold working with DDFix and DarkWidescreen for like an hour before remembering that you had made this thread. For some reason I could never get DDFix to work, but this works perfectly.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
THANK YOU

Tried to get Thief Gold working with DDFix and DarkWidescreen for like an hour before remembering that you had made this thread. For some reason I could never get DDFix to work, but this works perfectly.
This thread is gold. Finally got to play Thief because of it. What a game.

:salute: And on that note, TFix updated to version 1.10

v1.10: added support for all Thief versions - original, sold out, platinum, all should work, including their German and French derivates (again, many thanks to Al_B).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom