Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Infinitron's Thief Series Fan Patch Guide

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Infinitron, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Here are some tricks I picked up from lurking on the TTLG forums. Upgrading the Thief games used to be rather complex, but recently the process was made much simpler by the creation of several unified patches, with user-friendly installers that do all the hard work for you.

Thief: The Dark Project/Thief Gold:

TFix 1.19b: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134733

An essential mod that improves graphics, enables high resolutions and fixes bugs.​

Thief 1 Sound Enhancement Pack 1.5: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119405

Higher quality sound effects. Non-essential but nice.​

Thief II: The Metal Age:

Tafferpatcher 2.0.12 Beta: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131106

Similar to TFix but for Thief 2. You may wish to avoid installing the "NTEX" texture pack which is part of this patch, as according to some it deviates too strongly from the game's original appearance.
    Thief 2 Sound Enhancement Pack 1.5: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119405

See above.
    Thief: Deadly Shadows:

Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade 1.1.3.4: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138607

Essential mod. Enables high resolutions, and a few additional tweaks.​

John P's Collective Texture Pack 1.0.3: http://95.31.27.16/patches/thief3/v...re_Pack_1_03/Collective_Texture_Pack_1_03.exe

Graphics upgrade. Be warned that it makes this game's shitty long loading times even longer.​
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  2. sea Prestigious Gentleman I support InXile

sea
    Thanks a lot for these fixes, downloading now! Having a lot of them all in one or two packs definitely makes things easier.
  3. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Additional note: The original retail version of TDS had an executable with DRM, that crashes on Windows Vista/7. It needs to be replaced with an unprotected exe, which was distributed with the game's level editor. However, this should not be a problem for the GOG or Steam versions.

And of course if you bought the original versions of these games they had official patches as well, although I think these fan patches may actually install those for you too.
  4. JarlFrank Великий князь Patron

JarlFrank
    Do include the mandatory stuff like DDFix and DarkWidescreen, that are needed to run on some systems, and I'll make this a sticky.
  5. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Those are all included in these fan patches. DarkWidescreen was actually deprecated a long time ago.
  6. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    Thanks, dawg.

I think I'm gonna need those when I finally switch to Win7 some day.

:roll:
  7. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    If you've got a widescreen monitor then they're useful to you even now.
  8. Captain Shrek Orbis non-sufficit Dumbfuck

Captain Shrek
    :love:
  9. IDtenT Contact me for a good time Patron

IDtenT
    Divinity: Original Sin
    These are all Steam versions compatible?
  10. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    They probably weren't designed for the Steam versions but I don't think there should be a problem with them. At worst, some of these patches are already built into the Steam versions and will be overwritten.

Feel free to try them out, and tell us the results.
  11. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    The hardcore may wish to check out The Minimalist Project, which attempts to make T3 as similar as possible to the original two games. I've never used it and I'm not sure how nicely it plays with the Sneaky Upgrade, so beware.
  12. sea Prestigious Gentleman I support InXile

sea
    Yes - I just tested all of them under Windows 7 x64. Any compatibility problems with the Steam version will likely exist in the retail versions as well.
    Infinitron Brofists this.
  13. Turisas Arcane Patron

Turisas
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    Monocle thread, it's about time I replay the games again too.
  14. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Minor bug with TFix:
    Default brightness is the middle of the slider.
  15. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    Yeah, I know. What I meant is that last time I played TG I used DDFix and Widescreen Mod and it worked flawlessly.
    In the future (after switching to Win7) more modding will be necessary I'm afraid.
  16. JarlFrank Великий князь Patron

JarlFrank
    Switching to Win7? Why would you do such a thing?
    Metro and spekkio Brofist this.
  17. MessiahMan Scholar Patron

MessiahMan
    Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
    Damn! I didn't know DDFix was a thing of the past. I'll have to see about these new mods . Especially those sound upgrades.

How the hell do I download that thing from google docs or whatever? I just get an advertisement for the service.
  18. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    It is not a thing of the past. It's included in those mods.
  19. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Jasede
    Good, productive thread. Thanks.
  20. Horus Arcane

Horus
    Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
    I was thinking of playing thief series for a while but had problems with windows 7,i will try again with these.
    So should i play with improved graphics for the first time?Do they change anything significant that kills of atmosphere?
  21. SCO Arcane

SCO
    Not really but curmudgeons that originally played in the software mode might disagree.

The one thing you want to do is to check the keybindings and harmonize them between the games. In particular you can use the same keybindings as t2 on t1/gold. One thing requires you to edit the keybinding file: t1/gold allows toggle run, quicksave and quickload! (but doesn't present the setting option on the keybinding game interface) You need to copy the equivalent t2 bindings in the line in the t2 file to the t1/gold one.

I also like to use a purely mouse driven interface so i put in mouse 1 to walk forward and toggle run on to caps lock (so you don't have to press shift all the time) and inventory cycle to mouse wheel (one direction), other direction being attack (or something, i forget). Use is right click.
    Unless you have more mouse keys, this doesn't mean you don't need to touch the keyboard - creep is important for marble floors, sometimes you want to use the zoom-in, sometimes you need to change from running to creep often etc - but 96% of the time you don't.

Also you can probably ditch the attack key in the mouse interface and use something useful like creep - attacking in thief means strafe circling and that is something that the keyboard is more useful for.
  22. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    As long as you avoid NTEX it should be a fairly authentic experience. Some of the graphics mods in TFix were actually built from assets taken directly from Thief 2.
  23. Peter Liturgist

Peter
    THANK YOU

Tried to get Thief Gold working with DDFix and DarkWidescreen for like an hour before remembering that you had made this thread. For some reason I could never get DDFix to work, but this works perfectly.
  24. Grunker RPG Codex Staff Patron

Grunker
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
    This thread is gold. Finally got to play Thief because of it. What a game.
  25. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    :salute: And on that note, TFix updated to version 1.10

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)