Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter [IndieGoGo] World Slayer – East (JRPG) Meets West (DA:O) In Full 3D For Mobiles

Mustawd

Oh ok. Their website says windows 8 and 10, but makes no mention of windows 7.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Android (primary)
vVMURlc.jpg

otsukameko

Literate
I don't get why there should be traders at the middle of a valley :|

It doesn't have anything to do with the graphics(icon of the trader). It has some logical problems. Merchants should be in cities, not in the middle of the desert around bandits!

We are testing basic trading mechanics and such, more flexibility will be added in future.

Does it contain substantial nudity? Can we rape people (tastefully or otherwise)? Does MCA contribute to this project? Drop the sales pitch and answer the important questions.

Good question. I will give a broad answer. We will focus more on relationships between characters, their interactions, which include, among other options, romance and sex. Nudity in 2D or 3D? The latter depends on the budget, because it should look good, right?

^_^

EDIT: Wait, I can't even play this on Windows 7?

Well, so far, we have tested the demo on win 8 and 10 only. We do not promise it will work on Win 7 100%, but, mostly likely, it will. We encourage you to try and give us your feedback.

"^_^" - good to know what you truly value in RPGs.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Dont listen to these creeps, this game definitely belongs here.
Turn based story driven RPG, thats party based in a steam punk setting? with a non linear narrative on top of that? Its majestic. Its basically an improved, updated version of Arcanum.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The combat is turn-based. But it does not have very much depth, you can't change the position of your characters or even move in the battlefield.

Well you can't do that in Might and Magic either, never mind Final Fantasy or most Jap games of this ilk. So that in itself is not really an issue here to be fair.

I understood that you expressed some concerns about the graphics in the exploration mode earlier.

It doesn't have anything to do with the graphics(icon of the trader). It has some logical problems. Merchants should be in cities, not in the middle of the desert around bandits!

How many RPG's have you actually played?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
OP, just use the 3D female models and 2D art...add some tentacles and release a dating/sex sim with that. Believe me, you'll get more mileage and more buys for that than some half-arsed 'RPG' whose only redeeming feature(apart from those mentioned) is that it's not made in RPGMaker.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Well you can't do that in Might and Magic either, never mind Final Fantasy or most Jap games of this ilk. So that in itself is not really an issue here to be fair.

You can position your characters in most jap games.

I don't know what you consider as 'positioning'. Games like FF or DQ only really have it by line order or F/B row. You don't even know if this 'game' does that or not. Maybe you still select characters in an order at start of the battle? For me positioning means getting the ability to place characters on some kind of grid based on proximity to the enemy, behind obstacles etc. That is more in the 'tactics' types of Jap games.

otsukameko

Literate
I say this game needs a little bit of Rance.
But then again, every game needs a little bit of Rance.
Why, of course Rance was also among our inspirers, especially the "Sengoku" one). It partly influnced the Faction Rivalry mode in the first place (as well as the original old Sengoku game, that influnced Rance in the first place).
So you might say this game has 'a little bit of Rance' in a way.

Oh, oh, come to think of it, I suppose Slayer and Rance might get along well xD

92ee4c80a20a41dcbde34a3a99f2488c.png

Hm... I'm getting a very TWISTED plot idea about those two guys and their adventures...............
...better forget it for the good Oo

otsukameko

Literate
Well, I think you can't say this

act like supposedly adult persons

when you made this

And I don't think mixing DA:O with "jrpgs" is tha creative. DAO is extremely anime-like,it's almost cringeworthy. If you made it turn based it could pass as something like Agarest.

Thea is a compicated character, that lost all of her memories and is innocent enough to be clueless about men's nature. So sometimes her statements sound awkward)

It's not like there is a cauldron where you put 2lb of DAO, a pinch of FF and refill it with, for example, a Fallout oil, mix it all together, boil for 2 hours and get a game out of it. It's more like a way to explain things by using similarities. Never meant to make a game that would place creativity over the roleplay. Nonlinear plots are my Agenda! (nods)

otsukameko

Literate
Each battle system is different, and there are pros and cons in every type weather it's ATB, TBS or any other style. It is possible to make depth without using movement. Then what's important is the actions you take during a battle. Strategy is always using a given set of rules to find enemy weakness and hide yours.
In World Slayer you use attacks to change the situation on the battlefield, for example: you can make your opponent to skip turn, decrease enemy stats in order to prevent powerful attacks or increase your stats to get a new mighty move to use.
For example, let's say the knight has 12 STR. His powerful attack requires 10 STR to perform. What will happen to him if I lower his Strength by 3? Of course the next thing I do would be enjoying his helplessness! What a pathetic knight, can't even raise his sword!
If the enemy is slow and his attacks are powerful it might be a good idea to freeze him and make him skip a turn while I'd be slaying his friends.
It would also be a good idea to attack mages using actions that can lower WILL parameter (since magic has a Will-based damage).
In the current demo version Slayer doesn't have enough STR to use his powerful attack (since he was weaken by Thea's seal). But Thea has a fire-elemental magic that would increase his strength making the move possible.
But it looked so simple in the first place, right? Just press the attack button -> win. But - no. If you want to defeat a strong enemy pack you have to use your brains.

pippin

Thea is a compicated character, that lost all of her memories and is innocent enough to be clueless about men's nature. So sometimes her statements sound awkward)

You are not supposed to explain this. It's a sign of bad writing. Instead of thinking of her as an "adult" character, I see her as the fanservice girl.

Lhynn

Arcane
You are not supposed to explain this. It's a sign of bad writing.
It would be if we had read more than a single line by the character.
Instead of thinking of her as an "adult" character, I see her as the fanservice girl.
I think thats kind of the point, presentation and mood wise it does fit.

otsukameko
Tbh my only real concerns for this game are somewhere else, the systems, the gameplay and the plot. I know fuck all about them but i dislike what ive seen.
The gameplay looks straight out of an 80s jrpg, only slower and more shit. The systems seem pretty simplistic, which is fine for an android game, but is really shit for a PC game.
The plot is whats most worrisome, it looks to be related to factions and the world itself you are trying to create, when these games work best when they are character driven in nature. The average player could not give less of a shit about your world, factions, and characters other than the ones he controls, especially at first and for a long time, so if you are planning on putting the character in the middle of a conflict, make it about the character and not the conflict, at least until such a point where the player is actually invested in your shitty made up world.
This also gives you the opportunity to introduce new mechanics 15 or 20 hours into the game instead of doing it on the first hour. JRPGs are slow burning and are supposed to keep introducing mechanics late into the game to give variety to the gameplay, to keep the player from burning out.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The presentation seems fine other than the writing needing some good editing, but those battles look awfully small and constrained. Is 3v3 the max? Cause there's no movement/rows to spice things up. You might want to look at something like Tokyo Mirage Sessions where the battles are small but there's a lot of attack chaining and paying attention to damage types/buffs to figure out fights. Granted that can be tough because the AI has to use the same synergies to actually be tough and that can be tricky to get just right. JRPG/TB Blobber combat is pretty grindy as a rule, so make sure it has a nice flow and enough tactical options to keep it interesting in the game cause there's nothing worse than grindy bad combat, whereas grindy good combat can be sorta zenl-ike.

Each battle system is different, and there are pros and cons in every type weather it's ATB, TBS or any other style. It is possible to make depth without using movement. Then what's important is the actions you take during a battle. Strategy is always using a given set of rules to find enemy weakness and hide yours.
In World Slayer you use attacks to change the situation on the battlefield, for example: you can make your opponent to skip turn, decrease enemy stats in order to prevent powerful attacks or increase your stats to get a new mighty move to use.
For example, let's say the knight has 12 STR. His powerful attack requires 10 STR to perform. What will happen to him if I lower his Strength by 3? Of course the next thing I do would be enjoying his helplessness! What a pathetic knight, can't even raise his sword!
If the enemy is slow and his attacks are powerful it might be a good idea to freeze him and make him skip a turn while I'd be slaying his friends.
It would also be a good idea to attack mages using actions that can lower WILL parameter (since magic has a Will-based damage).
In the current demo version Slayer doesn't have enough STR to use his powerful attack (since he was weaken by Thea's seal). But Thea has a fire-elemental magic that would increase his strength making the move possible.
But it looked so simple in the first place, right? Just press the attack button -> win. But - no. If you want to defeat a strong enemy pack you have to use your brains.

Basically this is a good starting point, a strong turn order management & buff/debuff system is good for keeping things interesting. So keep expanding and polishing this above anything else.

otsukameko

Literate
The presentation seems fine other than the writing needing some good editing, but those battles look awfully small and constrained. Is 3v3 the max? Cause there's no movement/rows to spice things up. You might want to look at something like Tokyo Mirage Sessions where the battles are small but there's a lot of attack chaining and paying attention to damage types/buffs to figure out fights. Granted that can be tough because the AI has to use the same synergies to actually be tough and that can be tricky to get just right. JRPG/TB Blobber combat is pretty grindy as a rule, so make sure it has a nice flow and enough tactical options to keep it interesting in the game cause there's nothing worse than grindy bad combat, whereas grindy good combat can be sorta zenl-ike.

Basically this is a good starting point, a strong turn order management & buff/debuff system is good for keeping things interesting. So keep expanding and polishing this above anything else.

Thanks! A lot of things has yet to be done. Like improving world map, making a full text check and etc. And that's why we need your support and feedback) Stay with us, and we'll make a great game ;)

otsukameko

Literate
otsukameko
...so if you are planning on putting the character in the middle of a conflict, make it about the character and not the conflict, at least until such a point where the player is actually invested in your shitty made up world.
This also gives you the opportunity to introduce new mechanics 15 or 20 hours into the game instead of doing it on the first hour. JRPGs are slow burning and are supposed to keep introducing mechanics late into the game to give variety to the gameplay, to keep the player from burning out.[/QUOTE]
The main story is definitely about the character. The conflict is the stage, not the core. The important thing is that, unless a hero somehow finds a way to prevent the Corruption, the World as well as the Slayer is doomed. Usually you can't get an army in the first few hours of play. It's an advanced feature that comes later. And it's not like you have to use an army anyway. There are other ways to beat the game. The route of a hero and the route of restoring powers are similar to classic character-oriented slow burning RPGs/JRPGs. You've mentioned a right thing, a good RPG starts with a hero and this one does, too.

otsukameko
The plot is whats most worrisome, it looks to be related to factions and the world itself you are trying to create, when these games work best when they are character driven in nature. The average player could not give less of a shit about your world, factions, and characters other than the ones he controls [/QUOTE]
Anyway, those players can just start an all-out war against everybody. They'd have hard times, but hey, it's a warrior's way. That's fun alright.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom