Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information IndieDB Top 100 Indie Games Voting 2014

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: IndieDB

IndieDB is doing their annual Top 100 Indie Games of the Year thing, and we got contacted by the developer of a Codex-approved RPG asking us to do a newspost about it. Apparently, getting into Top 100 is a nice thing that can bring the game some additional publicity.

In the interests of fairness, we have decided to post not just about one game, but about the competition as a whole, as well as to make a small (and no doubt incomplete) round-up of Codex-approved titles that you might want to support. Let me know if I missed any important recent/upcoming releases among those featured at IndieDB.

Age of Decadence
Battle Brothers
Dead State
Heroine's Quest
Legends of Eisenwald
Lords of Xulima
Mount & Blade: Warband
NEO Scavenger
Quest for Infamy
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
STASIS
Tales of Maj’Eyal
Underrail
Unrest
Worlds of Magic

The voting closes in a bit more than a day. There is no limit on how many games you can vote for, so go hog wild.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Tough decision. Almost all games on the list deserves a vote. Anyway, I voted for AoD, Dead State, Stasis and Underrail.

Absalom

AoD? But shouldn't the list only include games that are finished? :troll:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
AoD and Underrail are my favorites, first is unparalleled story wise, second repeats the shtick with awesome gameplay.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Halfway is not in their list. :(

[EDIT] I will vote for Dungeon of the endless though. [\EDIT]

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
AoD and Underrail are my favorites, first is unparalleled story wise, second repeats the shtick with awesome gameplay.

First remove VD's dick from your ass and then we can talk about unparalleled shticks.

lurker3000

Arcane
Shouldn't a game be released to be on this list? Why would anyone even vote for an alpha?

edit: What Absalom said because if AoD wins this it has as much merit as wining a PC Gamer Best of CES award.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Voted on AoD only, I want it to win. One of the most enjoyable games I've played - ever (it's right up there with Fallout 1 and Sacrifice).
Shouldn't a game be released to be on this list? Why would anyone even vote for an alpha?

edit: What Absalom said because if AoD wins this it has as much merit as wining a PC Gamer Best of CES award.
Underrail is also an early access game but that doesn't change the fact that even in such early state it's better than most RPGs that came out during last 10 years. It's still way worse than Age of Decadence though mainly because it has too monotonous locations and fights aren't as good as they are in AoD. The writing is also subpar.

lurker3000

Arcane
Underrail is also an early access game but that doesn't change the fact that even in such early state it's better than most RPGs that came out during last 10 years. It's still way worse than Age of Decadence though mainly because it has too monotonous locations and fights aren't as good as they are in AoD. The writing is also subpar.

That's great but neither games are finished/released!

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
That's great but neither games are finished/released!
So? Both games have more (relevant) content than Skyrim even in that state and there is no rule that only 1.0+ games may be voted for. Also, lol at your exclamation mark...

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Did my duty.

Voted for Age of Decadence and Underrail without having played them.

Also Shadowrun: Dragonfall. My heart was in that vote.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Funny that non-indies like Pillars of Eternity and Blackguards are on this site. No inXile or Larian games, though.

Last edited:

naossano

Cipher
Pillars of Eternity is considered as non-indie ?

This is a kickstarter game devellopped by a devellopper that isn't a publisher.
There is a publisher involved at some point, but that publisher isn't big and doesn't hold the IP.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity is considered as non-indie ?

This is a kickstarter game devellopped by a devellopper that isn't a publisher.
There is a publisher involved at some point, but that publisher isn't big and doesn't hold the IP.

There is no exact widely accepted definition of what constitutes an "indie game".[4][5][6][7] However, indie games generally share certain characteristics. Indie games are developed by individuals, small teams, or small independent companies;[5][8][9] such companies are often specifically formed for the development of one specific game. Typically, indie games are smaller than mainstream titles.[9] Indie game developers are generally not financially backed by video game publishers (as these are risk averse and prefer big budget games)[10] and usually have little to no budget available.[4][5][7][11][12] Being independent, indie developers do not have controlling interests[6] or creative limitations[5][13][7] and do not require publisher approval[4] as mainstream game developers usually do.[14] Design decisions are thus also not limited by the allocated budget.[13] Furthermore, smaller team sizes increase individual involvement.[15] Small teams, scope, and no creative restrictions have made indie games known for innovation, creativity, and artistic experimentation.[4][9][15][16][17][18][19] Developers limited in ability to create graphics can rely on gameplay innovation.[20] Both classic game genres and new gameplay innovation have been seen.[17] However, being "indie" does not imply that the game focuses on innovation.[9][21] In fact, many games attributed the "indie" label can be of poor quality and may not be made for profit.[7]

As long as the awards are consistent with their own criteria for selection, but apparently "what is an indie game" is as nebulous as "what is an rpg".

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Another poll where you can vote on stuff that is not released yet. Wake me up when this industry gets its shit together.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom