Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Indie X-COM: Xenonauts Kickstarter Now Live

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Goldhawk Interactive; Xenonauts

Xenonauts, the indie X-COM spiritual successor that has gathered a lot of praise already, has today gone the way of Kickstarter. The stated goal is only $50,000, and the project has 32 days left to reach it, so I hope it succeeds. In any case, the developers assure us, the game will get released -- but you can help it arrive quicker as well as make it better:

Xenonauts has been in development for almost three years already, and has been available for pre-order for the last 18 months (please see the FAQ if you have already pre-ordered the game). We are planning to release the game this year. Why are we doing a Kickstarter?

The answer is simple - we want to make Xenonauts as good as it can be! We have raised enough money through our existing pre-order system to finish the game, but there are a lot of cool little touches that we want to implement but we simply don't have the resources to justify spending our time on. This is a shame - it's always the little touches that make a game memorable!

Xenonauts is also an incredibly complex game and contains vast amounts of content. We only have three full-time team members (the project lead, one artist and one coder) and they don't even live in the same country, instead working together in a virtual office. Everyone else on the team works with us part-time, around other jobs - the ones that pay the bills. This causes a lot of delays, bottlenecks, miscommunication and stress.

Despite the difficulties, we are nearing completion of the game using this model. However, getting the key team members together full time and in the same place would allow us to respond to bugs and issues more quickly, and finish the game faster and to a higher standard (and with less damage to our collective sanity).

The key message is this: if the Kickstarter fails, Xenonauts will still be released and will be a good game. If the Kickstarter succeeds, the game will be better and finished more quickly because of it.​

Also, to celebrate the event, RockPaperShotgun has penned a preview praising the game:

I knew exactly what I was doing, what I needed to do next and exactly where I was. Hell, I even put alien corpses in my soldiers’ backpacks just to check that I still could. Xenonauts is X-COM, and while it has made some noise about being its own game there’s simply no question that this is the purists’ take on the old Gollop classic, while 2K’s XCOM as an experiment based around some of X-COM’s major organs.

This might sound like caution, and I suppose it’s true that I would ideally like to be surprised as well as indulged by Xenonauts, but it’s also praise. Heartfelt praise. The single greatest compliment that I believe I could pay to Xenoanuts is that it takes the vast majority of X-COM and recreates it in a more modern interface in such a way that I was barely even conscious that the interface had changed at all.

[...] It does feel like a cop-out to lean on the ‘hooray, it’s so much like X-COM!’ angle when writing about Xenonauts, but that is, after all, its raison d’etre. Before Firaxis’ game was announced, the possibility of ever seeing an X-CMlike as high-polish and faithful seemed to be practically zilch. As it is, they do seem to me like two very different games, ones that can sit comfortably alongside each other rather than battling for old strategy gamers’ attentions.​

At the Kickstarter page, you can even download the demo to try the game out if for some reason if you still haven't.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
High price for the lowest tier and a definite lack of a good middle tier.
I pledged my 20 bucks nevertheless - we need more friggin' hardcore turn based squad rpgs:incline:

Seems very likely they will exceed their goal of 50K. By how much, I do not know. And I'm very happy that there's so much love still left for turnbased games (Wasteland 2, Shadowrun, Xenonauts...). :incline:

mbpopolano24

Arbiter
I have played several alpha-builds already and there is no question that it is going to be a very good game. A 'must' for all X-Com fans...:incline:

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
I'm very happy that there's so much love still left for turnbased games

I KNOW that there's still a lot of love, but this incline's been so long coming that you would think that love never happened

yet another reason why 2012 is gonna take us all out

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
High price for the lowest tier and a definite lack of a good middle tier.
I pledged my 20 bucks nevertheless - we need more friggin' hardcore turn based squad rpgs:incline:
This. Up to 200 bucks the tiers are a-ok (still there's the +5$ base game), but the higher ones are banal.shit.boring. Even Eisenwald, which has useless higher tiers, did it better.

zeitgeist

Magister
I think I asked this in another Xenonauts thread but don't think there were any replies: does anyone have (links to) any old posts from the Xenonauts developer saying how much of his money he invested and into what? I'm pretty sure I can remember there being specific budget info at the very start of the project, but I can't find it anywhere anymore. Am I confusing it with another game perhaps?

What's the bet that WW3 happens and we all get nuked to pre-computer era about 2 weeks before the first of the kickstarter incline is due to come out?

It's the only way I'm keeping myself calm right now - just the cold hard certainty that the trend of the past 10 years isn't going to change now, and if nuclear oblivion is the only thing preventing a computer game incline, then nuclear oblivion it will be.

Overboard

Arcane
If they don't have retarded 'features' such as only one base and immortal soldiers, it will be a big step up from the competition already. Going to try the demo.

Angthoron

Arcane
What's the bet that WW3 happens and we all get nuked to pre-computer era about 2 weeks before the first of the kickstarter incline is due to come out?

It's the only way I'm keeping myself calm right now - just the cold hard certainty that the trend of the past 10 years isn't going to change now, and if nuclear oblivion is the only thing preventing a computer game incline, then nuclear oblivion it will be.
Well, there's that whole "Mayan prophecy" business that might prevent us from living in a better, incline world, too.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I think I asked this in another Xenonauts thread but don't think there were any replies: does anyone have (links to) any old posts from the Xenonauts developer saying how much of his money he invested and into what? I'm pretty sure I can remember there being specific budget info at the very start of the project, but I can't find it anywhere anymore. Am I confusing it with another game perhaps?

I’ve ploughed my life savings into funding this game, which eliminates a lot of the leadership struggles you have with fan projects – I’m paying the bills, so I get to decide what happens. Decision making is faster, there’s less feature creep and the vision is less watered down, and obviously paying for staff attracts a higher quality of personnel too.

Roughly: putting no value for volunteer work, around 100-150k€ total (70k€ from preorders). He also quit his day job after a while.

Achilles

Arcane
Chris England is a true bro and the game in its alpha state is already better than most other X-Com "tributes". I've already pre-ordered the game but I will chip in again through Kickstarter if I have to.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
This is a good project. Pledged my money. I love the art.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
InspectorRumpole, here's my thoughts about each of this projects:
A very nice project, open source etc. They use Quake 2 engine (with some modifications). Currently their UI is kind of sucky but they are working on it. The gameplay part is ok, with one really big gripe - NO DESTRUCTIBLE TERRAIN! And due to the engine they've chosen this will never get in game. I still like to play this game.

It's "just" a bugfix of the old game. I'd much rather support developers who try something new instead of just remaking the same old stuff. Still, a nice project from nostalgia point of view. Not sure if they won't get some lawyers on their гъз due to using original assets.

Didn't heard of it before, and the website just says "new site coming when ready". Doesn't seem this has anything to show for it.

http://ufo.ufo-extraterrestrials.com/ (looks pretty sweet, currently downloading)
This game is ok. It had some terrible balance issues when initially released but with mods (and gold version) it's fun. Not as fun as original X-COM though.

I don't think that it is a bad thing that there are several tactical games in the making. Choice is good. Xenonauts do have a very nice art direction and general feel of the game, that, in my monocled opinion, moves it to the front of the crowd.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Yeah, at least 200k it is. But I would rather think they get over 500k like Bannu Saga. At least that's how it should be. God?

Almost funded in 2 days LOL. I guess they already made more money than in the whole time before, when they were bitching about 2000$ on paypal.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
I would rather think they get over 500k like Bannu Saga.

This deserves at least half what the Shadowrun Kickstarter got. It's a shame that many people will go 'lol I never played the originals but why bother when I can get professional and modern xcom update from firaxis antfarm base fapfapfap'

you know, this is the STRONGEST starting pitch on kickstarter when you consider they have a playable demo out for download off the bat

hey notch why aren't you talking this up to your fans, this is the actual hardcore tactical shooter game you should have backed

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom