Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Space Sims - post 'em if you find 'em

DraQ

Arcane
Question about current version of Pioneer - are there any anrchic systems, or in fact any sort of NPC piracy/unprovoked hostile behaviour implemented already?

BRB, fapping to Wave fighter - among the sexiest aerorbital craft I've seen.
jCeKJl7fvmIFg.jpg

:bounce:

Brianetta

Novice
Yes, there are pirates, and they hunt you down. Trouble is, space is big, and you're likely to be long gone before they get anywhere near you. While Pioneer has a factions system, it is fairly new and nothing has been built upon it yet. The system generation system is due for a rewrite, to allow for better government selection, etc.

We're changing the game so that more and more of this stuff is written in Lua. It isn't complete yet, mainly because the active developers have been focusing on other parts of Pioneer, such as getting a stable saved game format.

Have a look at Pirates.lua, which is somewhere in the data folder. You can edit it, to make pirates more likely, or appear closer to the player. For the time being, after saving changes, Pioneer needs to be restarted for changes to take effect.

DraQ

Arcane
Yes, there are pirates, and they hunt you down. Trouble is, space is big, and you're likely to be long gone before they get anywhere near you. While Pioneer has a factions system, it is fairly new and nothing has been built upon it yet. The system generation system is due for a rewrite, to allow for better government selection, etc.
I'd aim for better consistency between planets, atmospheres and biospheres, first and foremost, because it sucks ATM (for example you won't be getting anything that's less massive than gas giant that's both hot or even warm and has hydrogen atmosphere because the hydrogen will just achieve escape velocity via temperature alone).

Would also love to see some volumetric clouds as well as procedural landscape objects. Maybe city terrain type as well as cities just vanish when seen from distance, which shouldn't be the case on heavily populated worlds.
Maybe airlock landing pads on airless bodies - would hate to leave my ride outside when going for beer, only to discover it got smashed by empty fuel someone left cruising at orbital velocity.
I would imagine changing in and from spacesuit only to leave the ship is going to be annoying. ;)

That's odd about not encountering any pirates, I could easily track their intercepts and also make surface to inbound freighter intercept manually in Frontier which was similar mechanically so it shouldn't be much of a problem for an AI ship to intercept. Maybe pirate intercept behaviour and loads should be tweaked to better cope with more limited fuel/remass capacity?

Some more nitpicking:
- it's mostly cosmetic, but it would be great if autopilot landed less "nochalantly" on planets - I mean approaching using gradually lowering leveled flight followed by level descent, rather than diving vertically, braking with retros, then flipping to leveled flight. A small thing, but would really improve ambience.
- spiky asteroids suck, BTW (Armageddon was a bad movie, m'kay? :P ) and they break both collision detection and landing pads.
- Can anything be done with time compression when close to planetary bodies? Locking higher levels out is a good idea, but it's a bit too sensitive, at least from player's PoV - if it's solely for engine's benefit, I guess nothing can be done, but maybe it could be tweaked to be less rigorous?

Finally:
- any known anarchies not far from Sol?
- are there any keys to navigate galactic map outside of plane of view? Having to rotate and slide in plane is very awkward.

Brianetta

Novice
Like I said, the system generation is due for a rewrite. If you're a physicist with good ideas, introduce yourself to the dev team.

Volumetric clouds are eye candy. That's not really a priority right now, unless we get a developer joining us who knows how to do them properly and wants to give it a shot.

We know that spaceports on planets suck right now. We have terrestrial skyscrapers everywhere, and open pads. We used to have airlock-style ports back before we adopted a sane and normal 3D modelling system. Really, though, the only thing required for better spaceports is the artwork (both models and scripts).

Frontier didn't have pirates intercept in the same way. It cheated on the velocities by teleporting the pirates to you when time was accelerated. Pioneer's physics engine doesn't cheat so egregiously. Many solutions are being discussed, although there have been disagreements (mostly mine). Bear in mind that Frontier ran on a 386; it didn't even try to make physics realistic on anything but a very small scale. Pioneer does.

Nitpicks:
1. Talk to John Jordan, the autopilot guy. Bear in mind that the autopilot doesn't fly on rails; it has to obey physics like everything else, at any time acceleration. At least it does actually land now. It used to bury your ship.
2. That's being worked on right now.
3. Sure - use Ctrl-click to override the lock-out. It's a player protection thing only.

Finally:
1. Not known by me. As it happens, I don't explore very far, and statistically speaking the number of hard coded systems is practically zero.
2. Hold the right mouse button to rotate freely, page up/page down to use the third axis. Also, there's a coordinate entry system and a (local) name search. Then again, I'm not 100% sure what "outside of plane view" means.

DraQ

Arcane
Like I said, the system generation is due for a rewrite. If you're a physicist with good ideas, introduce yourself to the dev team.
Not really, but I do know a bit. Generally I'd try sticking more closely to original Frontier's generation system (in terms of actual astrophysics) and constraining atmosphere and planet types based on temperature, mass, closeness of massive bodies (highly volcanic bodies generally need to either be very young or orbit close to something massive that exerts severe tidal forces on them, for example) for the new types and combinations of properties.

For example there should be lower mass limit modified by temperature for hydrogen and helium atmospheres.
Carbon dioxide should be frequent, but I guess carbon monoxide would prefer it hot due to being mostly formed by methane reacting with water vapour, incredibly hot planets (at least hot gas giants) could have alakli metals in atmosphere or even silicate weather system (that is, clouds formed by condensation of vaporized rock, raining molten sand) and so on.

Frontier didn't have pirates intercept in the same way. It cheated on the velocities by teleporting the pirates to you when time was accelerated
It did, but as you said it depended on time acceleration.

I was able to do both an intercept of a neutral trader (mostly manual, although first stage was autopilot assisted as I didn't have it on HUD) which didn't use cheat due to it being a neutral ship and to observe pirate intercept in detail - I parked my ship in orbit around a gas giant in Phekda and monitored incoming pirate ship using system map up and gradually reduced compression setting to prevent teleport until visual range and it worked pretty smoothly, even though I was spinning circles around the planet so I think there must be something else at play.

Maybe it's AI not handling fuel limitations, or something. It's weird though, because I didn't even have a hostile ship hurtle by.

Frontier's autopilot AI generally worked by leaving itself a lot of slack. It accelerated with gradually decreasing thrust, then braking in the same gradual manner, leaving it with ability to compensate with full thrust should anything go wrong.

Nitpicks:
1. Talk to John Jordan, the autopilot guy. Bear in mind that the autopilot doesn't fly on rails; it has to obey physics like everything else, at any time acceleration.
Well, actually the problem is with it *looking* as if it didn't, because with thrust like this, who needs sensible approach trajectory as opposed to hovering nose-down until last maybe hundred of meters. It feels like it's doing stunts and dissing gravity because it can - it would feel better if autopilot tried to avoid pitching up or down from level flight while flying above surface, unless necessary and to keep completely level for the netire landing approach.

DraQ

Arcane
Pioneer bumpdate:
The great folks working on this game have been adding some actual gameplay features so you can get attacked during missions where you carry sensitive items or personnel. Combat is currently very bare bones and pretty difficult, but it works and due to non-hitscan weaponry it isn't as "cheap" as it could be in Frontiers.
One point of complaint would be that most enemies can be manipulated by approaching faster than they would be comfortable with, which causes them to turn tails and try to accelerate away allowing you to avoid getting greeted by storm of multicoloured energy bolts on your approach and rendering combat encounter trivial. If you fight the hard way (which can be inevitable against faster ship) it's generally not profitable unless you're really good and/or have shieldgens, as repair bills can greatly outweigh (considerable) profits from high risk missions.
Interestingly rolling seems to be very useful (at least in flattened ships) by helping you slip between incoming projectiles and minimize exposed area, even though it doesn't help you maneuver (pitch and roll working about equally well).

Combat visuals are beyond fugly, though.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Not the first game that does it. It's more tasteful here than the usual puke on the screen, weird jelly clouds we can see in many space games. It's somewhat Homeworld-ish, I like it. Though I would like to see a space combat game with simple black space+stars.

Azazel

Arbiter
Haven't seen Limit Theory posted yet, another in the pile of procedural universe space sims being cooked up right now.

As a one-man gig that came from kickstarter, it looks like it's got some nifty concepts for AI and UI going on. Really gives me EVE-ish vibes for some reason, though it will be firmly singleplayer.

The dev also posts hardcore tech-oriented updates once or twice a week, and long video logs once a month, no radio silence here! Cloud Imperium tried to hire him to work on SC, he turned them down. :lol:

Last edited:

Azazel

Arbiter
Tolroko, developer describes it as "Elite, but on a single planet", supposedly highly inspired by the John Carter of Mars novels. Looks pretty slick, but it's early days after two years of development:

http://tolroko.tumblr.com/

Perkel

Arcane
Haven't seen Limit Theory posted yet, another in the pile of procedural universe space sims being cooked up right now.

As a one-man gig that came from kickstarter, it looks like it's got some nifty concepts for AI and UI going on. Really gives me EVE-ish vibes for some reason, though it will be firmly singleplayer.

The dev also posts hardcore tech-oriented updates once or twice a week, and long video logs once a month, no radio silence here! Cloud Imperium tried to hire him to work on SC, he turned them down. :lol:

Dude is literally genius.

Chris Roberts wanted to hire him if his kickstarter would fail.

If you fallow his updates you will see how fucking smarter he is than 99,9% people devs out there.
His work on UI design for editor he works on which is also self created (!!!!) is better looking than UI for most of games. I don't know his IQ but dude is fucking monster. His economy model currently puts all space sims out there (probably sans EVE) to shame. Not only he does it all but he is making amazing updates monthly.

Get 5 dudes like him and you could build Star Citizent in a year complete with persistant world and galaxy economy.

He is black horse of recent space sim surge. I mean Braben and Chris are yet to even think about implementing surface of planets and this dude just sat on this feature for a few days and he did it in early form.

Perkel

Arcane
Where the fuck is my Limit Theory Dev update video fix..

Last one was in July...

edit:
backtoDF2014

Perkel

Arcane
After Limit Theory he should fucking apply for politic work. His voice sooo sooothing.

HOOOOOOLYYYYY SHIT 5 DIFFERENT CHAPTER ON THIS UPDATE

polo

Magister

There is a thread about it somewhere in General gaming forum i think.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Paragon ? Where i heard of it ? Wasn't it spin off project to some space explorator game ?

Abregado

Novice
I had the pleasure of playing DarkfieldVR at the Cologne VR Meetup just before they ran their KS. Top blokes and top game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom