Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Indie RPG Roundup: Bevontule and Bludgeons & Krakens

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Bevontule; Bludgeons & Krakens; Cannibal Cat Software; Multithreaded Games

Two indie RPGs came to our attention this weekend. The first of them is Liminal LLC's Bevontule, a turn-based fantasy RPG that has been quietly in development for over a year. According to the game's website, it's inspired by various Japanese tactical RPGs, but at least aesthetically it seems like a typical post-2000 western fantasy RPG. Bevontule is scheduled for release in Q2 2017, and there are several demos already available, including a "pre-alpha demo" released a few days ago. You can grab those here. The game doesn't have a proper trailer yet, but there are numerous WIP gameplay videos on Liminal's YouTube channel. Here's the most recent one:

The other indie RPG we learned about this weekend is Cannibal Cat Software's Bludgeons & Krakens. It's a very different sort of game - a retro-styled turn-based RPG that combines the aesthetics and design of classic Ultima with the simple loot-driven gameplay of Diablo. It doesn't have any videos, so here are a few screenshots instead:

Bludgeons & Krakens was released just a few days ago, and is available for free on itch.io. Pretty cool!

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I tried Bludgeons & Krakens, was pretty hyped, I get the loading half screen and the music starts and already got annoyed because the music keep switching between my earphones - left right left right , I really hope it is a bug and not intentional... So I get to the option screen and I try to use the mouse to pick options but alas no click responds, I tell myself maybe if I switch to full screen the problem will fix itself and I could use it, so I use the keyboards go to settings and switch to full-screen - the screen goes black the music still plays and that's about it game stopped responding , had to task manager close it , tried restarting/re-installing but get the same thing every time...

Big Disappointment.

Unwanted

Endlösung

Unwanted
Tried Krankens. Looks good and UI is usable. But it feels like MMO grind...

Encounters on the world map are randomized and can be easy or unbeatable. But you can always run away from them on the maps edge and they disappear right afterwards. Its like Fallout 1 with tiny maps and only 4 directions of movement, except the enemy vanishes if you escape.
So what you do, is grind levels... by running around and fighting banal fights. I cannot play that without any other fluff. Writing is placeholder level. Gfx is well, you can see.
Loot is randomized. At least in random encounters.

Diablo with turns and squares.

I only made it to level 3 with my Druid and the grind got to me...

It might get better but I doubt it...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom